Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jimmeh

How easy is it to get caught?

I've just discovered this place, and before I begin I just want to know one thing - How, ahem, easy is it to get caught by an ISP or other agency when accessing there services in a questionable way?

Thanks,

-Jimmeh

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: How easy is it to get caught?

I really depends what you are doing. please remember the isp provides you with an ip address,etc

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have not heard of anyone being caught yet, but being the interent sends data aswell as recieving, and the fact NTL have to assign you an IP, I believe it is easier to get caught then some people think, if NTL really tried.... or maybe I am just too paranoid .... i am the sort of person where if something bad is going to happen it will happen to me first.....

Not trying to put you off in anyway - i have nothing against cloning for more speed but just don't do it myself.

Post Thanks
    Chats

If your paying NTL for at least one thing I doubt they'd try anything even if they suspected

Post Thanks
    Chats

yeah u can be clocked, as ip's provide network cluster information and addresses

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Shipoftheline
    If your paying NTL for at least one thing I doubt they'd try anything even if they suspected
    Except if u were damaging their stuff, like uncapping speeds, etc...

Post Thanks
    Chats

Its only easy to get caught if your being stupid . Seeing as you posted and asked its fair to say your on the ball , checking before taking action :P so youll be fine

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by crimbo
    Its only easy to get caught if your being stupid . Seeing as you posted and asked its fair to say your on the ball , checking before taking action :P so youll be fine
    Sometimes being stupid helps. For example if u get caught, u can always say an excuse like "I didn't know it was illegal"...

But since now u know that u can get caught for this, u have to think of another excuse, if u do get caught ofcourse...

dougsaunders

The thing is if someone came round to your home asking if you were stealing cable ud first have to let them in first so they could prove it, and whos gonna do that??

ON Holiday
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Its just surely not worth it! I would recommend gettin a wireless usb antenna and using wifi instead! wardiving isn't exactly kosher but its safer than this method!

Qonquer

It's possible for them to find you, however, it costs them. They know whereabouts you are but not exactly. They have to send an engineer out to literally track you down through the network and that's not easy to do and requires specific equipment. Far too many people use unsubbed modems so doing this for all would not be cost-effective. But as has previously been stated, NTL are not the cops, you have no obligation to let them into your home, and even if you did, the engineers are so bent, they'd probably try to sell you a better hacked modem than the one you have.

Post Thanks
    Chats

been using tw modem a few modem and have had no problems at all
    worth it after all

Post Thanks
    Chats

you wont get cought been using mine for about 3 years now!

pau1200

As allready stated dont set the cap on the modem too high, they monitor network traffic and if one month they clock really high usages they might go looking. ive been told if you switch the modem off when its not in use then your less likely to be caught, but i dont know anyone who has.

DJRAY

All i can say mate is be sensible. Make sure that you have at least one legitimate service from your cc, (e.g. base tv pack) this can throw them off the scent, dont download silly amounts and just keep it to yourself. Your mate down the pub can easily give n*l a bell, and tell them what your upto.

BE SENSIBLE.

Good Luck

DJ

Post Thanks
    Chats

As I understand it it's not illegal to receive all free to air transmissions so a replay box could be regarded as a Freeview box. To prove otherwise they would have to get you to switch it on and show them what you are watching. I for 1 would tell the requester to sod off unless they came back with a search warrant or something. It works similarly to tv cards for a pc.You cannot track a tv card and what channels it receives because it is a PC and not a television. These are tracked at point of sale and they are very sharp with retailers on this and they have to notify the authorities of any tv cards sold, just like selling a tv, because they cannot be tracked in the normal way. They can't knock on your door and not find a television but a warm PC and then charge you with not having a tv license, unless you are watching your favourite Neighbours or friends program at the time.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

I know someone who was caught and now has a court case pending. Please be carefull. Ntl is very hot this days.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by snowy Hidden Content
    I know someone who was caught and now has a court case pending. Please be carefull. Ntl is very hot this days.
    quite right to be on your toes m8 but TBH someone getting caught must be a right Fool.
    Regards
    jj

Post Thanks
    Chats

I believe you can get caught, so im told but, if you get a good cable modem and use the right prgorams then i also am lead to believe that you will NOT be detected uncapping your line speed.

Post Thanks
    Chats

well he was grassed by his mates from the pub, jealously I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast