PDA

View Full Version : Vista

matt_schlong
02-12-2006, 10:33 PM
anyone using vista?
i have been for a few weeks now, i do like it!!
managed to get hold of the rtm version so just using the 90 day free trial and waiting for a key to be released come january

drusso66
03-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Is is a good improvement over XP, what about drivers did you need to download these for example graphics, motherboard etc.

5 Inch
03-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Its ok but driver support is lacking badly, most things barely work. I dual boot atm but find XP much better still. Gonna buy new hardware a month or so after vistas properly released so that it all works fine

drusso66
03-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for advice think I will stick with XP for a few months yet.

y2krog2000
03-12-2006, 08:38 PM
I was using vista for a while and thought it was good for drivers, the only ones I couldnt get were ones for tv cards but other than that it was good. The last version I installed all the drivers on it even the nvidia one but still couldnt get support for my 2 tv cards so switched back.

zed2012
05-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Does anyone feel any difference in speed or bootup time? and do games work fine c&c General??

Speedy2206
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Nobody get annoyed by the seemingly excessive hard disk usage?

y2krog2000
05-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Does anyone feel any difference in speed or bootup time? and do games work fine c&c General??

I thought some of the games looked better on it though kept getting kicked from some online games that used punkbuster because it didnt recognise the OS but thats probablyfixed by now. I dont know why it looked better but medal of honour was far better.

leedslads
05-01-2007, 03:17 AM
dos any one know when they r going realeas nero for vista

y2krog2000
05-01-2007, 09:08 AM
dos any one know when they r going realeas nero for vista
Its already released, NeroPortal [Upgrade - Info Page] (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. you can burn dvds/cds without any program in vista by the way, just drag and drop.

Shipoftheline
05-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Is is a good improvement over XP, what about drivers did you need to download these for example graphics, motherboard etc.

What are the improvements over XP ? Does it do anything better ?

apart from the obvious which are slower and one hell of a lot more bloated

callisto11
11-01-2007, 01:09 PM
What are the improvements over XP ? Does it do anything better ?

apart from the obvious which are slower and one hell of a lot more bloated

One thing is does much better is Windows Media Centre, which is built into the the Ultimate edition.
XPs Media Centre edition was very picky as to what hardware it would support and required lots of fiddles to get it working.
I have a Freecom DVB stick which came with crap software and I had lots of problems with it over the last year.
Imangine my absolute amazement and delight when I installed Vista, added the crap Freecom driver and it all just worked brilliantly..

Other things that are done better/new are :
- 2 way configurable fiurewall, which is also much more granular
- IE7+ with some extra functioanlity
- Aero Glass interface with Cool3D task switcher (yeah its nice)
- DirectX10 (which I dont think will be made available for XP)
- Better crash protection
- Runs as standard user account by default. Priveleged command eg Device Manager cause popup box (actually a Terminal Server window) to appear before command is executed..

Shipoftheline
11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
One thing is does much better is Windows Media Centre, which is built into the the Ultimate edition.
XPs Media Centre edition was very picky as to what hardware it would support and required lots of fiddles to get it working.
I have a Freecom DVB stick which came with crap software and I had lots of problems with it over the last year.
Imangine my absolute amazement and delight when I installed Vista, added the crap Freecom driver and it all just worked brilliantly..

The mediaplayers work fine here

Other things that are done better/new are :
- 2 way configurable fiurewall, which is also much more granular
- IE7+ with some extra functioanlity
- Aero Glass interface with Cool3D task switcher (yeah its nice)
- DirectX10 (which I dont think will be made available for XP)
- Better crash protection
- Runs as standard user account by default. Priveleged command eg Device Manager cause popup box (actually a Terminal Server window) to appear before command is executed..

Not really anything important really everything can be added to XP (not sure about (DX10 yet) and I don't know about others but I can't remember the last time I had a crash on XP.

B2B
13-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I found Vista to be quicker than XP and had better eye candy, however driver support was dismal especially for webcams. Give it a few more months for the bugs to be ironed out and it'll be a winner.

B2B

y2krog2000
13-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Vista only will run some tasks quicker than xp on a dual core machine if its not dual core it defo wont be working any quicker with vista, read that in pcworld magazine. xp still out performs vista for now vista is performs better at things that take up a lot of memory.

kryten77
13-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I'll wait till its been officially released for a while. That way everyone else can Beta test it for me.

B2B
13-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I'll wait till its been officially released for a while. That way everyone else can Beta test it for me.

Hehe, I agree, makes for less stress.

B2B