PDA

View Full Version : ntl cable modem question

proevofanatik
01-12-2006, 10:53 PM
im on 4mb broadband with ntl. is it possible to configure or even chip the modem so that it will give me full speed? like 10 mb or something like that?

nobby
02-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Don't touch a subbed modem - get yourself a surfboard if you want to play around. There are plenty of tutorials on here about creating a 10M surfboard connection

aBuLhAgaG
05-12-2006, 01:49 AM
heh, am I glad I hung onto my old surfboard, I knew it would come in handy sometime :-)

stickywicket
05-12-2006, 06:11 PM
heh, am I glad I hung onto my old surfboard, I knew it would come in handy sometime :-)

nice pic ;), yeah SB are great for tinkering. which model do you have. hope it aint a 3100. ******** but no top speed, all the others are great. if you need any help let me know

lenny
08-12-2006, 12:30 PM
nice pic ;), yeah SB are great for tinkering. which model do you have. hope it aint a 3100. ******** but no top speed, all the others are great. if you need any help let me know
I could do with some help on this topic also, I have a subbed ambit250 (NTL),
where are the tut's you mention ?
Thanks

stickywicket
08-12-2006, 03:16 PM
if you mean you want to hack your subbed modem id suggest you re read the thread carefully, NEVER MESS WITH A SUBBED MODEM. if you have a spare surfboard you wish to have a play with let me know an ill point you in the right direction.

lenny
08-12-2006, 06:56 PM
if you mean you want to hack your subbed modem id suggest you re read the thread carefully, NEVER MESS WITH A SUBBED MODEM. if you have a spare surfboard you wish to have a play with let me know an ill point you in the right direction.
thanks for you reply, is the Motorola SurfBoard 4200E suitable for "playing" with as you say ?,.....I have a subbed ambit 250 (ntl) running on a 6MB connection now but would like the faster 10MB connection the offer in my area,...can u give me a few pointers ?
Rgds Paul

aBuLhAgaG
09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
After much rummaging around my loft I finally managed to find my old surfboard only to discover to my horror that it is indeed a SB3100i. When you say these have no top end, exactly how lame are they? I'm currenly on a 2Mb line...

Thanks in advance,

aBuLhAgaG

stickywicket
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
thanks for you reply, is the Motorola SurfBoard 4200E suitable for "playing" with as you say ?,.....I have a subbed ambit 250 (ntl) running on a 6MB connection now but would like the faster 10MB connection the offer in my area,...can u give me a few pointers ?
Rgds Paul

"Another detail which can be very important when buying a modem is it?s DOCSIS (Data over cable service interface specification) standard. There are two DOCSIS standards ?International? & ?European?. Pure NTL and TW use International DOCSIS whereas EXCW areas use European DOCSIS. So if you live in an I DOCSIS area you would need to buy one of the following.

Motorola SB4100i, SB4200i or SB5100i

If you live in an E DOCSIS area you will need one of the following.

Motorola SB4100e, SB4200e or SB5100e"

taken from haynes cable modem guide, which is found on this site. as you live in a pure /\/tl area that modem wouldnt be suitable, as it uses a different docsis. have a search for the haynes cable modem guide, which besides being a very good read gives a better insight into what you are tryin to do.

stickywicket
09-12-2006, 05:45 PM
After much rummaging around my loft I finally managed to find my old surfboard only to discover to my horror that it is indeed a SB3100i. When you say these have no top end, exactly how lame are they? I'm currenly on a 2Mb line...
Thanks in advance,
aBuLhAgaG

these modems are supposedly capable of 8mbs, though ive never heard of one achieving speeds over 4mbs. theyre also a bit more complicated to setup though not impossible. like mentioned above have a search for haynes cable modem guide which should answer most of your questions. if after that your stuck post back an ill do my best to help.

Danny-D
10-12-2006, 10:51 PM
whats a surfboard? i have a spare n*l modem