PDA

View Full Version : new slave drive help please

tomboy1
26-11-2006, 08:14 PM
I bought a seagate barracuda 72.000 atm100 oem 250gib hard drive to have as a slave drive was adviced ti use seagate;s wbsite to use there hd installation wizard to install it used the wizard & it installed it as a slave ok but when i turned my pc of then on again it will not load up show;s both drives a disabled but when i disconnect the slave from the pc my pc runs ok but no slave drive icon in my computer sorry i used there wizard this is what the jumper leads show on there website
i;m at a loss here can anyone advice me please ? it does seem that both drive;s are clashing some how have changed the jumpers makes no difference apart from wanting to boot up from cd ? any advice would be great thanks ps have left the jumper out alltogether & still wont work
dont no what that means at the jumper setting ATM compatable? show;s 2 jumper pins only got one jumper with it ?

Beamer1
26-11-2006, 10:17 PM
just stick both harddrive to cable select and your be fine

tomboy1
26-11-2006, 10:17 PM
done the above done no good / but went into help of the wizard & it told me do do this >Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000/XP Users:

Power down the computer, disconnect the new drive, then restart the computer.

Run DiscWizard for Windows if it does not start automatically. If DiscWizard for Windows warns you that the new drive was not found, click "Cancel."

From the DiscWizard for Windows Maintenance Menu, select "Create DiscWizard Starter Edition diskette" and follow the instructions to create a DiscWizard Starter Edition bootable diskette. You will need a formatted 3.5 inch floppy diskette.

Shut down the computer and reconnect the new drive.

Restart your computer and enter the System Setup program. Change the setting for your new drive to "NONE". Save the settings, exit the System Setup program and power down your computer.

Insert your DiscWizard Starter Edition bootable diskette and power up your computer.

From the DiscWizard Starter Edition main menu, select (U)tilities.

You will be presented with a list of the drives in your system. Select your new drive, then select "Set Drive Size".

Follow the on-screen instructions to set the drive size.

When you are finished setting the drive size, reboot your computer. Enter the System Setup program and set the drive type to "AUTO". Save the settings and exit the System Setup program. Make sure you leave the DiscWizard Starter Edition diskette in the drive.

When the computer restarts, DiscWizard Starter Edition will run. Follow the onscreen instructions to partition and format the drive.

The drive is now prepared for use. If you want to make the new drive the boot drive, you may run DiscWizard for Windows and run "Copy Files" from the maintenance menu. This will copy all necessary system files and make the drive bootable. To copy files, Run DiscWizard for Windows, Select Maintenance, then Copy files and click Next. Select the source and destination drive letters and click Next to begin copying files.

only thing is when i go back into System Setup program & change it back to auto my slave drive just disapears but must say i have the jumper set at cable select wornder if i take the jumper out all together it would let me change it to auto detect in System Setup program? ps when i start windows it does not show my slave drive at startup ps this is the hd information >seagate barracuda 72.000 atm100 oem 250gib

Beamer1
26-11-2006, 10:24 PM
m8 u can do it that way, but u could do put both on cable select reboot pc go control panel admin tools computer management, disk management and select the new harddrive and format.

tomboy1
27-11-2006, 04:30 PM
do know that other way to install a new hd but thought it would be quicker doing it with the wizard lol i have the new slave set at cable select but dont know what my main hd is set at not looked . what i;m bothered about is that my slave does not show up when i first start windows the icon is there in my computer folder & i can use it ok the wizard did tell me when i restart to go into bios & turn the new hd to auto but when i do that the slave hd icon disapears from my computer folder ? dont understand that any advice please . ps sorry i used the wizard should have done it the way you said above allways installed my slave drives that way

Parva
27-11-2006, 10:31 PM
To be honest I've never used the cable select setting. I personally set my master HD with the jumper on the left two pins (looking at your diagram) and the slave (again according to your diagram) won't have any jumpers on. Setting it up that way shouldn't require and wizards to be run or anything! There is the added complication of SATA and EIDE but I won't go down that road at this point. :)

Beamer1
28-11-2006, 01:58 AM
tomboy why dont u do as i say m8?? Put both on cable select and boot up. u dont even need to go to bios but u can if u want. read my post again and u have it running in 5 mins.

y2krog2000
28-11-2006, 09:16 AM
tomboy why dont u do as i say m8?? Put both on cable select and boot up. u dont even need to go to bios but u can if u want. read my post again and u have it running in 5 mins.

I know, I told him how to fix the problem the other day in a couple of messages and he couldnt be arsed answering weither the drives were S-ATA or not, and as I already said to him I had the same hard drive set up as a slave.

tomboy1
28-11-2006, 11:02 AM
have set it as above yes i could be arsed to reply i just had to take the hd out of pc to see if it was >S-ATA or not sorry for not replying sooner my son is in hosp so had to go see him thanks to all above for your help now sorted

y2krog2000
28-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Glad you got it sorted m8, I thought you already knew if it was S-ATA without opening it up as you fitted it.

tomboy1
28-11-2006, 11:36 AM
sorry for all the problems i have caused you all only says on the hd if it is S-ATA or not so had to take it out to read it so small had to get a mag class to read it lol ok thanks again for all your help

y2krog2000
28-11-2006, 11:41 AM
The one on the right is S-ATA the other isnt. You will need to connect one of these or you defo wont be using the hard drive.

No need to say sorry m8

tomboy1
29-11-2006, 01:19 PM
more problem;s with new seagate hd turned pc on today & it would not load up say ;s system error ? had to go into bios & turn new drive to none NOT auto pc loaded up ok found out now what the problem is when i turn new drive to auto detect in bios it makes my pc hang at startup > seagate;s wizard help file tell;s me that the problem is that my bios does not support a drive bigger than 137 gig . This wizard tells you you can get around this by making 2 floppy disk;s with the wizard then you can use them to change the size to less than 33gig in the bios but still use the full 250 gig hard drive as 250 gig .
it;s just fooling your bios in thinking it is a 33gig hd but when i use the floppy;s i have made with the wizard everything goes fine untill i get to resize my new hd there is no mouse pointer to click next what a laff yes my ide lead is the one on the far left of that pic

Timoweb
29-11-2006, 01:31 PM
If your bios does not support a drive bigger than 137 gig you will have problems. I think you need a newer computer m8 or at least a 100g hd.

tomboy1
02-12-2006, 09:59 AM
sent an email to seagate support they sent me this reply > The drive is 250 GB but as you mention, your BIOS does not support it, one
way to get around it is to get a Ultra ATA 100 controller card which can
bypass the limitation in your BIOS. but the drive is not 250 gig it;s 33gige where do i get a ULTRA ATA CARD from & how do i set this up any advice would be great thanks sorry i bought this drive did have a 120 gig drive as a slave before & had no problems ?

y2krog2000
02-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Ultra ATA 133 PCI RAID (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. you should be able to find a cheaper one because maplins are a bit of a rip off but this is what you want. It should be very easy to set up you will just need to fit it into a free pci slot then plug your hard drive into it. Read the FAQ on the maplins site.

tomboy1
04-12-2006, 01:07 PM
will take your advice above and get a PCI Ultra ATA 100 or 133 card . Got an email from seagate they have told me the same but does it matter what brand i get ? & how do i know my motherboard support it ? and do i need a seperate ide lead or use the double lead i am useing now to connect my new drive ? sorry about all this any advice would be great thanks

little_pob
04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
You're going to need a seperate IDE cable for the new drive to use that card (tho' one of the FAQs is "Q) is it supplied with win xp compatible software and cables? A) Yes, this is supplied with all required items." So it may come with one).

Brand shouldn't matter, PCI is an industry standard. Just check you have a PCI slot empty before you order...

Note: XP may require that you install any drivers than come with the card before you plug the card in, just follow any instructions that come with with ever one you purchase.

tomboy1
05-12-2006, 10:53 AM
thanks for the advice my mate told me to just update the bios but a bit worried to do that incase it makes things worse like my printer wont work or this & that wont work lol i got this software sisoft sandra 2007 pro home to took into my pc to see what make my motherboard was this is some of the information it gave me

MAINBOARD JETWAY
MODEL NO VT8366-8233
SYSTEM BIOS 01/02/2003-VT8366-8233-6A6LVJ1BC-00
CHIPSET VIAKT266/A,KT333

Not sure where to get the bios update from on the net & not sure if this will solve the 250gig problem or just create more problems i have been told once you update the bios there;s no going back so a bit worried incase i nacker up the pc . any advice would be great . Many thanks to all above for sticking with me on this

y2krog2000
05-12-2006, 11:01 AM
You can backup your old bios, was your pc built by compaq or dell or something like that if so whats the make and model of your pc.

Here is the link to your mobo maker all the info on how to update your bios is on it, Jetway Download Web Site (http://download.jetway.com.tw/)

tomboy1
05-12-2006, 12:22 PM
bought the pc about 6years ago from bowlers in manchester i think its just a built up pc does not have a make

this is what it say when i load up the pc > phoenix-award bios v6.opg says some other information but it loads up too fast to read it lol ps been on jetways website you gave me but cant find the right bios not sure how to use the site dont want to end up downloading the wrong update ps seagate told me to ddo to the bios & that would solve the problem it did not then they told me that ddo with windows does not work well they told me then to remove the ddo disk drive overly done that reinstalled the drive tuned off auto detect slave & this drive is working ok dont see any problems with it running in windows & windows does tell me it is a 250gig hard drive in fact i;m downloading a file off the net to it ok so might be best leave it as it is ?

y2krog2000
05-12-2006, 02:03 PM
bought the pc about 6years ago from bowlers in manchester i think its just a built up pc does not have a make
this is what it say when i load up the pc > phoenix-award bios v6.opg says some other information but it loads up too fast to read it lol ps been on jetways website you gave me but cant find the right bios not sure how to use the site dont want to end up downloadin the wrong update

If its working ok then no need to change it but heres how to save your old bios to disc and I think your mobo is a Jetway 867AS if it is the bios updates are on this link VIA BIOS Download (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. under kt266 if you are going to upgrade the bios make sure it is this one.

Save your old bios with awdflash from the website like this.

How To Save BIOS:
Run Awdflash.exe file Save You Mother Board BIOS Device=Awdflash (Type Awdflash)
When the " File Name to Program " Appear Type " Enter " Key
When the Ask " Do you want to Save Bios (Y/N) " Appear Select " Yes "
When the " File Name to Save " Appear Type You Want Save Name Example : File Name to Save : a:\tx98-a22.bin (If You Want Save to A Disk) ( *.bin File)

How To Update BIOS:

If your BIOS is earlier that Aug/1998.You can only update the BIOS: The mother board must using either "Winbond" or "SST" EPROM (Underneath of Award label. In order to avoid crash EPROM chip, you must check it before you update the BIOS)
Before update your BIOS,please wirte down the information on thrid line when your turn on your computer (it should look like V.NNNNN VV. MM/DD/YY,When NNNNN indicates motherboard model , VV indicates the date of BIOS released.)
Make a Boot Diskette (Do Not Contain EMM386.exe or Similar) , You Can Download Awdflash.exe and BIOS (*.BIN) File to Diskette From Website
Boot From Diskette , Run Awdflash.exe file Update Your Mother Board BIOS Device=Awdflash [driver:] [path] [filename (*.bin)] /SN /PY /CC /R Example : Awdflash a:\tx98-a22.bin /SN /PY /CC /R PS : /SN (No Save) , /PY (Program BIOS) , /CC (Clear CMOS) , /R (Restart) ,/F (Always Flash)
Finish Auto Program BIOS , Going to "BIOS SETUP" , Select "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS" , SAVE AND EXIT SETUP
PS1 : If Appear Any Error Message , Please Check File is Ready or File Type Name is Right
PS2 : You Can Use Awdflash /? Know How to Command

tomboy1
06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice the hd is running on on my pc dont want to updte the bios to scared incase i knacker up pc so will leave it as it is thanks to everyone