PDA

View Full Version : PC to TV

jay
03-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I built myself a second pc using a HiperMedia Chassis and connected it to my crt tv via s-video.

The problem is the picture quality is awful, is there any way to improve the picture quality without buying a lcd tv?

gremlin
03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
you could try tvtool. (tvtool.com)

little_pob
03-06-2006, 09:08 PM
If you're using an ati radeon card you can use a vga to scart adapter.

If you want to make your own just do a quick google search for 'ati vga to scart', or there are a few premades on ebay for around £25 excl p&p (just search for 'vga scart').

Hunter
03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
I built myself a second pc using a HiperMedia Chassis and connected it to my crt tv via s-video.
The problem is the picture quality is awful, is there any way to improve the picture quality without buying a lcd tv?
you think thats bad lol
i went from a plasm with pc inpu to an LCD 37" with s-video and also feel like i waisted 1400 quid :oops:

jay
03-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the reply's

Tvtool made no difference unfortunately

I'm using onboard radeon 200 graphics, would vga to scart still work? and have you seen the picture quality yourself?

you think thats bad lol
i went from a plasm with pc inpu to an LCD 37" with s-video and also feel like i waisted 1400 quid :oops:
OOPS indeed Mr.Bond

Hunter
03-06-2006, 11:21 PM
not me but i,m very interesed in knowing ;)

little_pob
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm using onboard radeon 200 graphics, would vga to scart still work? and have you seen the picture quality yourself? Not seen it myself (I've yet to build my own HTPC) but the is loads of info on the net regarding vga to scart (just google it). And, to be honest, if there was no increase in image quality, I don't think there would be half of the info avalible that there is (from the pin outs to make your own, to the premade cables, to the amount of help offered on other forums).

You'll need a program called powerstrip to allow you to play with the settings, as you have to set an interlaced resolution (which nVidia cards cannot cope with it would seem).

To save a bit of time and money, I'd recommend installing powerstrip to see if you have the option of interlaced resolutions before you build the cable.

jay
04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Cheers pob, will post results when done

jay
06-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Gutted, the Radeom Xpress 200 on my MSI RS482M4-L does cannot be used with vga to scart.:(
Apparently unlike the cards, the onboard IGP does not sent sinc signals.

I now need a pci/e riser card for the hyper media case, any ideas

scruff1963
06-06-2006, 01:06 PM
avermedia do a vga to scart AVerMedia Technologies, Inc. -- Digital technology for your lifestyle (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. works very well 800x600 cannot work above 1024x768
1024x768 only for games, cannot read normal text.
My son uses this product on his TV projector.

little_pob
06-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't know the dimentions of the hypermedia case (so not sure on the hight of riser needed), but I did find these PCI-e flexible cards at linitx (http://linitx.com/index.php?cPath=26_124).

If you cannot get hold of a passively cooled ATi GFx card, and you have the room ;), you may want to replace the stock cooler with one of these Zalman VGA coolers (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I could find it from my prefered e-retailers)

avermedia do a vga to scart AVerMedia Technologies, Inc. -- Digital technology for your lifestyle (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Cheapest Froogle could find is £35.23 (inc vat) (http://mediaatlantic.com/product.php?xProd=759), delivery approx £3.31 on top.

jay
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanx again pob, great link to riser cards
Unfortunatly the case is only 53mm high(externaly), which leaves around 40mm for a graphics card so the Zalman cooler woun't fit, i'm bound to find a passively cooled one though

Thankx again
Jay

little_pob
06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Scan have a couple of passively cooled ATi cards (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Scan are reletively cheap, but even if you just use the site to get the model number its a start.

jay
06-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I use scan all the time, aswel as ebuyer, aria and some others but i'll let you in on a little secret aslong as you don't tell anyone....dabs(used stock) do great deals, don't try ebuyer returns as they are often faulty where dabs test theirs.

Here's one on dabs now, and it will go down around 0.5% each day
Gigabyte GeForce PCX6600 256MB PCI-E DVI-I (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3K52&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11137,4294963788,43990000) £51

maxqa99
24-06-2006, 02:50 PM
This may or may not help, but I noticed a huge difference in TV picture quality on my Via SFF media pc when I used a high quality SVHS TV cable/connector.

cheers

Max

Fluval2005
24-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Jay

I asume you are sending the PC picture to the TV to watch Movies.
Most video cards give a crappy display on TV's
If you just want to watch movies then I sujjest you go down the road of Media Streamers!
Dabs also do the Hauppauge MediaMVP.
Cool little box with a remote controll. Works perfect!

saseagle
23-08-2006, 07:40 PM
you need to watch the refresh rate if you build a vga to TV converter. A normal video card can run at refresh rates that will fry a TV tube.

1430N3
28-08-2006, 09:11 AM
It's very difficult (near-impossible) to get good quality on a Television screen because there isn't enough pixels to form a good picture.

All the tools and such do is to increase the size of fonts and decrease the resolution to something insanely low like 640x480.

This is why they sell "Monitors" and "TV's" seperate. S-Video, RCA or Scart wont provide enough data transfer for a clear picture either. You will only get a almost clear picture out of a HD-TV connected by either a DVI plug or a VGA plug.

--------------------

If you want a big screen for your pc
Overclockers UK 26"+ LCD TV Monitors (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Alternitively, if you want cheaper... just get a 17" CRT or Flatscreen.

>>> If you want a big desktop area... may I suggest getting two small (15" or 17") screens having dual-screen (if your GFX card supports it). This being my setup when I saw the price of large LCD Monitors.

xiga
26-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm also interested in hooking up my PC to my tv. It's a 50" LCD rear projection HD Bravia and I'm not sure whether to go for a vga cable or a dvi-HDMi cable. The tv manual states that it in PC mode (using a vga cable) it only supports upto 1024x768 (i.e crap!) so i'm thinking, will a dvi-HDMI cable be any better?
I'm a bit clueless in this area...

y2krog2000
26-10-2006, 12:30 PM
It's very difficult (near-impossible) to get good quality on a Television screen because there isn't enough pixels to form a good picture.

I have 2 computers wired up to 2 tvs and the picture is crystal clear, I can watch a dvd from the pc to tv and its just as clear as it is on my HD DVD player.

boabness
26-10-2006, 02:25 PM
have u got hdmi on your tv m8, try that c if thats any better.

y2krog2000
26-10-2006, 02:31 PM
I dont think the onboard graphics card would have HDMI, I think it just needs a new graphics card.

kamrez224
31-01-2007, 04:07 PM
is it possible to connect television(not HD) to the pc

y2krog2000
31-01-2007, 04:56 PM
is it possible to connect television(not HD) to the pc

You can connect the computer to a tv if you have tv-out on your graphics card it dosent need to be a hdtv.