PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your xbox for?

Bard
02-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Just wondering if many peeps on here had xbox's and if so what you use it for?

Wee Gordon
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
playing games m8

Chookey
03-06-2006, 08:24 AM

Used to play great games with my ex's box but she put a stop to it. Now I got my own xbox and playing half-life 2 at present.

Shipoftheline
03-06-2006, 08:52 AM
I have two the main one downstairs is linked by 100Mbit lan and shares 160GB of media (movies/TV Episodes) on the PC and my son plays games with it too. Mine is upstairs and mainly used for games :)

guyincognito
03-06-2006, 10:09 AM

I use mine for games only, im currently ploughing my way through Shenmue 2.

Is there much else you can do with an xbox, that doesnt involved having it chipped?

Bard
03-06-2006, 10:43 AM
I use mine for games only, im currently ploughing my way through Shenmue 2.
Is there much else you can do with an xbox, that doesnt involved having it chipped?

Not much m8y no. Softmodding is the alternative to fitting a modchip. I think someone has already posted the links to the setup files in this section.

It does pretty much the same as a hardmodded m/c but no need to buy a chip (around £20) or soldering. I don't think you even need to open the case, but I could be wrong there.

jay
03-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Softmodding is the way to go, apart from the software you will need the original splinter cell, Action Replay and BIG BALLS!

guyincognito
04-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the tips guys,i have splinter cell and an action replay (and average size balls)
Is soft modding reversible though?
And is this what i need to download http://world-of-digital.com/forums/xbox-live-discussions/712-d-softmod-installer-deluxe-4-5-a.html
And finally, is there a simple faq/ installing guide, about softmodding anywhere?

jay
04-06-2006, 02:10 AM
SOFTMOD INSTALLER DELUXE v2.0 is what I used but that one should be fine
from the .txt file
-----------------------------
SOFTMOD INSTALLER DELUXE v2.0
-----------------------------

Created by DJB on 20th February 2005

Release Notes
-------------

Since I've seen so many of these being released, I decided to have a go at putting one
together myself. The main thing that inspired me to do this was the fact that I had
trouble with my MechAssault original, and I had to mod a 1.6 Xbox. Therefore, I decided
to compile my own.

It is also the perfect partner for Auto-Installer Deluxe v1.01 and later, as you can
update your dashboard (which will be located at C:\evoxdash.xbe or E:\evoxdash.xbe as
default). You can also install more apps and emulators to boost up your Xbox a little more.

I hope you enjoy this little release...

What does it do?
----------------

Softmod Installer Deluxe is similar to other various gamesave exploit installers such as lTools, SIN, and WaffleTools. Once this gamesave is on your Xbox HDD and you have booted your game of choice, you can softmod your Xbox. The installer will even make a backup of your C Partition just in case it doesn't work, just in case.

It will install a Dashboard at C:\evoxdash.xbe (or E:\evoxdash.xbe if you prefer), Font
Exploits, DVD-X (for watching movies), and a BIOS Loader (PBL) to load the hacked bios.
This installer should work on ALL current Xboxes to this date.
What does Softmodding do? It allows you to run a Dashboard and play burned discs with an Xbox that doesn't have a Modchip. It is the easiest and quickest ways to mod your Xbox, wihout having to pull it apart. You can however go one step further and replace your stock HDD and softmod, but as of yet I haven't done this.

What do I need?
---------------
+ This Softmod Installer (obviously).
+ Latest MS Dash (version 5960), just run a newish game with Xbox Live support (Burnont 3, Need for Speed Underground 2, etc.) and this will update your MS dash to the latest one.
Alternitavely, you can extract it from Auto-Installer Deluxe v1.0 and higher. Extract the Auto-Installer Deluxe ISO and go to Files\Dash. You'll see a ms-c.zip file here, which contains the MS Dash 5960. Use either FTP or other means to transfer it over to E:\Backup\MS\ once the Softmod has been installed. You can also just Format C, install the new MS Dash, then re-apply the Softmod.
+ An Xbox Memory Card, Action Replay, Mega X-Key, or a compatible USB Memory Stick (you will need a USB Adapter cable for this) to store the gamesaves so that you can load them on to your unmodded Xbox.
+ An Original of either 007 Agent Under Fire, Mechassault, or Splinter Cell. Please note that the Xbox Classics range WILL NOT work, it must be the older versions.

How do I do it? - Splinter Cell Install
---------------------------------------
1. Copy the contents of SID.Splinter.Cell.v2.0.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. Also copy
Splinter.Cell.v2.0.NTSC.Xbox-Hq or Splinter.Cell.v2.0.PAL.Xbox-Hq as it's needed too. The best ways are to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the contents to E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or Action Replay to dump the ZIP files on to.
2. Make sure the gamesave is on your unmodded Xbox, then turn it off.
3. Insert Splinter Cell and turn your Xbox on. When you're at the main menu of the game, select "Load Game" and then highlight "Linux". Tress A to boot the Installer.
4. Once the Installer has boot, I strongly suggest to make a backup of your C Drive. Use the "Create C Backup" option to backup your C drive. To back up the Eeprom you'll need to use the Evolution X dashboard, which you will have to install yourself after the softmod is done. The Eeprom backup is stored at C:\Backup (this can't be changed unfortunately) so please remember this.
5. Install the Softmod. Please note this deletes the MS Dash from C Drive, hence why you have been told to use the backup feature.
6. Install what dashboard you wish to use. Unfortunately due to lack of space I can only put Evolution X and UnleashX in this package, I hope that is good enough.
7. Shut down your Xbox, then restart it and remove the disc. If this has worked like it should, you should see your choice of dashboard (either EvoX or UnleashX). Please note if you boot your Xbox and leave the DVD Tray open it will take you back to the menu where you installed your Softmod.
8. If you want to put the MS Dashboard back on your Xbox, you'll need to put MS Dash 5960 on your Xbox. The easiest way to do this (once the box is softmodded) is to use my Auto-Installer Deluxe to delete the files from C Drive and install the latest MS Dash. Note: when this is done you'll have to repeat steps 3 to 7.
9. Restart your Xbox with the DVD tray open to bring up the Softmod menu. Run the "Patch MS 5960" now, and it will put the MS Dash back on C Drive, and patch it so your Dashboards can now use it. Note, the MS Dashboard will be called msdash.xbe now, since the Xbox still needs the hacked xboxdash.xbe in order to boot the softmod. Once you've selected this option, it will run through some tasks, then boot PPF-XBOX to do the rest. After PPF-XBOX has done it's work it will restart your Xbox.
10. Now is the time to make a backup of your modded C drive. This comes handy just in case a game tries to update your dashboard. If this ever happens, just use the "Restore Mod Backup". If you ever want to remove the Softmod (mainly for Xbox Live purposes) you can restore your backup of C Drive by using the "Restore C Backup" option in the Softmod menu.
.................................................. .................................................. ...........
If you need anything just ask

To install media center you will then need XBMC-CVS_2006-04-17-T3CH or newer

You also have to have the latest dashboard, just hook your box up to the net.

Must be the original Splinter cell not classic version.....good luck

Shipoftheline
04-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Soft modding may be the way to go for some but for pure convenience modchips are king once done no messing around chip as chips too

Bard
04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Soft modding may be the way to go for some but for pure convenience modchips are king once done no messing around chip as chips too

Couldn't agree more SOTL. By the time you buy your Splinter Cell/Mech Assault plus Action Replay/Mem. card you could have bought a solderless chip and just whacked it in :)

guyincognito
04-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Cheers for all the info Jay, i might just give it a try, i have 2 xboxs, so if i f**k up at least i still have another one i can use.

Shipoftheline..how much would it cost to chip?, ive chipped my ps1 before, so i have some knowledge of moding and a bit of skill with a soldering iron, so ideally i'd do it myself.

Shipoftheline
04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Cheer for all the info Jay, i might just give it a try, i have 2 xboxs, so if i f**k up at least i still have another one i can use.
Shipoftheline..how much would it cost to chip?, ive chipped my ps1 before, so i have some knowledge of moding and a bit of skill with a soldering iron, so ideally i'd do it myself.
Not sure now. I got my first xbox when they came out and that cost about £30 and the second (crystal) was pre-chipped at bowlers again worked out about £30. For such a small amount its clearly the best way plus you can add bigger hdd's

guyincognito
04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Is chipping an xbox as straight forward as puting in a chip (solder or non solder?) and thats it?
I thought the xbox bios needed to be changed

jay
04-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Couldn't agree more SOTL. By the time you buy your Splinter Cell/Mech Assault plus Action Replay/Mem. card you could have bought a solderless chip and just whacked it in :)

I went the softmod way cos I have 5 more to do, that's modding 6 boxes for £20

You can add a large hdd with softmodding aswel

Shipoftheline
04-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I went the softmod way cos I have 5 more to do, that's modding 6 boxes for £20
You can add a large hdd with softmodding aswel
You could say 1 xbox which can be modded to feck and have Xbox Media Center added was much cheaper. I've got tones of games plus my computers HDD's via 100Mbit lan to access these are things which blue soft mod.Try putting a 250BG hdd on a soft mod ;)

Lets get something straight soft modding is an easy way to play backups a pure chip is a way of doing everything hassle for what £30

Collider
05-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the tips guys,i have splinter cell and an action replay (and average size balls)
Is soft modding reversible though?
And is this what i need to download http://world-of-digital.com/forums/xbox-live-discussions/712-d-softmod-installer-deluxe-4-5-a.html
And finally, is there a simple faq/ installing guide, about softmodding anywhere?

Didnt have a clue at first how to softmod but its like anything you learn,just a bit of practice.
Would be glad to go through it with you if your up for it,just send me a pm :)

hellrazor
15-06-2006, 02:35 PM
games games and more games m8

ACOLD
15-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Its now a doorstop, XBOX360 made sure of that. Mostly games Farcry all the way

jay
15-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Its now a doorstop, XBOX360 made sure of that. Mostly games Farcry all the way

As far as gaming is conserned, yes xbox360 is awsome, but the xbox has now been turned into the cheapest media center pc you can buy.

guyincognito
17-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Didnt have a clue at first how to softmod but its like anything you learn,just a bit of practice.
Would be glad to go through it with you if your up for it,just send me a pm :)

Thanks mate, i'll be sending you a pm later today, sorry for the non replyage, my computer died, this is my first time back online in a week and a half.

Daz

ratal
24-06-2006, 02:24 PM
playing games m8

mickrick
29-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Primarily as a media center. I use it to stream tv shows, dvd's music etc that I downlod, from my pc upstairs to my telly downstairs via a 54mbps wireless connection. It also transcodes dolby digital and dts surround sound via wireless and it's the mutts nutts as far as I'm concerned.

I also use it, to a much lesser extent, for gaming and I use the Xlink Kai free online gaming service when I feel like playing online.

markez
09-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Is chipping an xbox as straight forward as puting in a chip (solder or non solder?) and thats it?
I thought the xbox bios needed to be changed
you can get a solderless chip ,and find the bios on all the usual download sites

markez
09-07-2006, 04:45 PM
i have 2 xboxs 1 with 120 gb hard drive, 1 with 250gb both used as media centers and games consoles ,they play anything from mp3,cd,wma to xvid,divx,dvd and .mov quicktime files .......its a good bit of kit if you upgrade it......

davie
31-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I have one with a 120gb hd and XBMC loaded. It's got to be the best value media centre out there.

vinnyjones
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Softmodded mine using SID4.5 and now using it as a media center with Xbox Media Center.. In glorious high def (thanks to japanese high def cable and quick conversion to NTSC) and 5.1 surround sound...

Got all movies and mp3s stored on a Lacie 300Gb NAS (samba supported) which XBMC is able to read from...

Also games look wicked in high def...

Now if only it had some sort of PVR functionality... :)

hakz
05-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I have mine chipped with an X3 chip (why I couldn't just buy a cheap mod chip), I use mine mainly for games and media center. I have a 200gb hard drive on it.

hakz
05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
you can get a solderless chip ,and find the bios on all the usual download sites

Apparently, solderless chips aren't very reliable, the slightest knock to the xbox will mean you have to open it up and move it back to its place.

jancarius
15-08-2006, 12:50 AM
i mainly use it for the xbmc, that media center is totally awesome!

ssmacc
16-08-2006, 11:01 AM
I’ve got two, one in the bedroom and one in the living room, both connected to the web and PC, I spend 99% of the running time watching downloaded films/TV shows (streamed from the PC) most in 5.1 can’t recommend XBMC enough! Only problem is the noise of the actually XBOX – although I’ve just put the one in the living room in a cupboard…just waiting for it to over heat! Rest of the time I play multiplayer games with the lads while we have a few beers…4 player Tennis is surprisingly entertaining when half p*ssed!

decoy7
18-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Primarily as a media center. I use it to stream tv shows, dvd's music etc that I downlod, from my pc upstairs to my telly downstairs via a 54mbps wireless connection. It also transcodes dolby digital and dts surround sound via wireless and it's the mutts nutts as far as I'm concerned.
I also use it, to a much lesser extent, for gaming and I use the Xlink Kai free online gaming service when I feel like playing online.

i do pretty much the same as mickrick with my Xbox, saw no need to upgrade to the 360 until i saw those wireless controllers and the new games on LIVE....now i'm hooked....but the old Xbox is priceless, when chipped and running Media Center it's exactly what Microsoft want the current 360 to be....Xbox Media Center was way ahead of it's time i think...my old xbox is worth more than what you could sell it for and irreplaceable for what it can do....now to get my extra Wireless adapter off my brother...hmmm.

superflyguy
18-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Our xbox has been gathering dust after getting a 360 in Jnauray. Maybe it's time to check out this modding caper!

superflyguy
18-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Just a thought - is there any way it can be used as a hdd recorder with a dbox2 or similar?

nokian70
20-08-2006, 08:27 PM
i use to play onlinev):)

timbo
24-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I have chipped mine with an Xecutor 3 with the X3CP mod with the LCD screen.

Installed with a 200Gig hard drive for games and hooked up to my home wi-fi network via a USB powered (off the X3CP) wi-fi bridge that can access another 320 gig of hard drive space for streaming MP3's and movies etc.

Indeed the XBMC does rock! and is priceless, £50 for an XBox and about £200 for all the mods (all not essential) and I have a fully self contained media centre that's smaller than any PC and only needs a TV for viewing (not essential with the LCD screen on my model)

Rock on!

sieveis
24-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I am using the xbox to stream TV Series/Movies downloaded to PC via a wifi Router as "ssmacc" will testify the XBMC can't be recommended enough, I also have a 120GB hard drive on board with access to 4 x 300GB Sata drives on my home network :) :)

e-z reader
24-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Just used to played games on my xbox.Had it chipped and put in a 120 gb drive when I first got it. Haven't touched it for about 4 years now and haven't seen it for about 3years! I never knew it could be used as a media center. When I find it (well the missus anyway!) does any one know where I can get some info on making it into a media center and linking it to a pc?

karlosfandango
26-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Problem with the media center is (to my knowledge) that it can't record live tv, which is the main advantage of having media center. I have an xbox with an executor 2 in running media center which is superb for playing streamed media from my pc, looking at jpegs and listening to mp3. But better still is the hauppage wintv pvr150 tvcard (£50) which allows me to connect my dbox to my pc and record/pause live tv ala a sky+ box (xp media center needed) although this doesn't allow me to play the 200+ xbox backups I have lol. I am eagerly awaiting for the fully fuctional chipped/hacked 360.

Shipoftheline
01-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I love my xbox's and wouldn't be without them. The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift (DVD) has just come out so will be watching that later on one :)

gadgey
15-09-2006, 02:25 PM
ive just recently aqquired an xbox 360

mostly used for playing at the start
but after completing all of them i started using it more as a media center but after a while i got bored of naming all the tracks ect

so i tried to connect it to my pc
and omg what a nightmare that was

after a good 3 months or so i worked it out myself
and if you ask the wappy one he will tell you that was an achievment for me lol
but i got to admit the games look and play amazing although my 360 seems to crash alot latley

ccholera
15-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Just use mine for games only

gdprince
16-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Use mine mainly for the media centre function connected to a network great for playing those DIVX of American series and all those MP3s.:9:

x2c
11-10-2006, 03:54 PM
XBOX Media Center!!!! A must for any modded xbox :)

bigbarber
04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
online gaming on it is immense i wouldnt get it chipped either cause the faults with the xboxs alot of ppls xbox has broke due to hardware and software faults and if it was chipped u wouldnt b able to send it in if it was chipped to much hassle being chipped to many problems go wrong with it

jjeti
15-03-2010, 09:51 PM
playing games m8

Splintercell
15-09-2011, 02:42 AM
online gaming, cant beat it

Diablo13
15-09-2011, 04:52 PM
We REALLY need to close some of these ancient threads admin?
The way its going recently, we can expect Noah to post complaining he got his feet wet! :rolleyes: