PDA

View Full Version : Nokia Box Switching itself OFF!

digitalman
02-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi,

Just got a box from fleebay, and backed up image from existing box and flashed it onto this new one.

Have tried a couple of images but after I switch it on for the first time when I change channel for the first time the box shuts down by itself.

Does anyone know anythign about this?

I am off to Amsterdam in the morning to get happy to test the some of the lovely green stuff for four days so, if i dont reply to anyones messages it not because im being rude its just that I wont be back infront of a PC until Wednesday!

Many thanks in advance.

Hunter
02-06-2006, 07:39 PM
if you just got it send it back mate

digitalman
02-06-2006, 07:42 PM
if you just got it send it back mate

never had to return a box before, just hope the guy wont say anything about me having flashed it with an image!

I'll have to do that when im back next wednesday.

Devilfish
02-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I think it's probably worth while trying a few images before you send it back.

Make sure you have the correct avia driver loaded.

If it's a Sagem, make the usual changes in the settings.

Goto Misc Settings and make sure 'switch off after' is set to 0.

It costs about £25 to send it back to Germany (airmail is the only option) so it's worth it trying to fix it.

And finally....have a good time in the dam!

digitalman
07-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Back from Dam last night and just back from work!

Have tried a couple of different images still no joy!

Does anyone know if these boxes have a self timer that might be set to some stupid setting?

Ill have a little bit more of a mess around!

Hoagy
07-06-2006, 08:59 PM
they do have a sleep timer in the main menu but i doubt it would be set in every image you have tried.

000 = off

digitalman
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
they do have a sleep timer in the main menu but i doubt it would be set in every image you have tried.

000 = off
cheers, will try it when i get back from work tomorrow.

Hoagy
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
infact m8 i just pressed sleeptimer (commando jedi) and after 30 mins it turned itself off. so i set the timer to 000 and after 30 mins of it went again, so i checked the sleep timer and it was back at 29 mins, set it to 000 and saved, checked it and 29 mins again, my box has now gone off 3 times tonight, seems i cant turn the sleep timer off now. relfashed and its ok again8-}

digitalman
11-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Just flashed it with Pacino 2.1 and is now working fine!

Very strange, I cant understand it, i tried Pacino 2, Jedi, Commando 2, V3 and a Sportster Image.

Im very confused but nonetheless very HAPPY at the box now working!:)

bladesftp
11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
glad its all sorted m8

doverai
19-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Have exactly the same problem has cable man but with the sagem box.
I will try to download Pacino 2.1 and flash the device.
Only problem is I brought it off fleebay aswell so I don't want to ruin the image already on there (sportspro 1.02 ultra) because if it is a hardware fault then the guy I brought it from might moan.

So shall I send the box back or try to flash the dbox2 with Pacino 2.1?
many thanks for the assistants

fergalsworld
19-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Just backup the image on the box to your pc first then you can always flash it back if it turns out to be a hardware fault.
there is a guide for flashfxp in the downloads section.

digitalman
19-06-2006, 10:47 PM
try a few different images, but like fergal said back up the existing image then flash it with pacvino v2.1 then try it.

for some unknown reason this was the only image that worked ont he damn box. try it m8 should work out well for you (fingers crossed)

digitalman
22-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Have exactly the same problem has cable man but with the sagem box.
I will try to download Pacino 2.1 and flash the device.
Only problem is I brought it off fleebay aswell so I don't want to ruin the image already on there (sportspro 1.02 ultra) because if it is a hardware fault then the guy I brought it from might moan.
So shall I send the box back or try to flash the dbox2 with Pacino 2.1?
many thanks for the assistants

did it work? if so with pacino 2.1 or another image? it would be good to know!

doverai
23-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Hiya guys orry about the delay but i have just been so busy betwen footy, work, gal, family and everything eles. Try the pacino 2.1 image on the box and now the box doesnt switch itself off but i cant seem to find any channels. Therefore i will put a new image on the box, possible commander 4.

i let you know asap when i get the box up and running.

many thanks for the help..keep the good work going

Scotster
23-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Probably better off with commando 4 mate ;)

Scott =op

miaslam
24-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I had the same problem, thanx guys for all the help it sorted my dbox2

digitalman
24-06-2006, 12:09 PM

what sorted the same problem out?

these things are good to know!

also doverai i take it after flashing the image have you tried trans service and bouquets into yopur box via ftp?

renwich
24-06-2006, 12:11 PM

mate your heading for a holiday, do you think we cant see why you are posting crap all over, cut it out and use the forum sensibly, you need a password as well as a count of decent posts m8 to get to the downloads

doverai
25-06-2006, 12:24 PM
hiya digitamn, sorry about slow response.
Spent all day with box yesterday and still no luck
the box doesn't switch itself anymore which is a positive but I still cant get the box to work for more than five minutes before the image freezes.
I have tested all the images posted in the download section. I have tried every image twice and also updated the mgcamd, evocamd and newcamd files which I downloaded from the download section.
I don't know what you mean by trans service and bouquets into your box via ftp? I know bouqests are the customized channel list but what is trans service?

cheers for the advice

digitalman
25-06-2006, 12:31 PM
hiya digitamn, sorry about slow response.
Spent all day with box yesterday and still no luck
the box doesn't switch itself anymore which is a positive but I still cant get the box to work for more than five minutes before the image freezes.
I have tested all the images posted in the download section. I have tried every image twice and also updated the mgcamd, evocamd and newcamd files which I downloaded from the download section.
I don't know what you mean by trans service and bouquets into your box via ftp? I know bouqests are the customized channel list but what is trans service?
cheers for the advice

by that i meant transferring the service and bouquet files across after you put the image on.

so for the five minutes that the box does work before it freezes do any of the channels work?

doverai
25-06-2006, 04:54 PM
hiya mate, all the channels work but after about 5 mins they start to freeze and the box says channel not found. Only bbc1, bbc2 and itv seem to work afterwards therefore i ruled out the possiblity of a hardware fault with the box. is that correct?
I dont actually have any service and bouquet files to transfer.
i have another dbox(sagem) which works without any problem and i have back that image up and tried to restore on this box but with no luck?
i have looked for service and bouquet files in download files but cant seem to find them there.
any help will be more than welcomed.

many thanks

Speedy2206
25-06-2006, 06:24 PM
infact m8 i just pressed sleeptimer (commando jedi) and after 30 mins it turned itself off. so i set the timer to 000 and after 30 mins of it went again, so i checked the sleep timer and it was back at 29 mins, set it to 000 and saved, checked it and 29 mins again, my box has now gone off 3 times tonight, seems i cant turn the sleep timer off now. relfashed and its ok again8-}

The sleeptimer is rather strange and does not function as we would expect it to in the UK. For that reason I am urging all UK developers to comment out that line in the source code so that it does not cause any further trouble for the end user.

Basically, you need to set the sleeptimer to 000. If you go back in to it, then it will have changed from 000 to another random number. This, believe it or not, is apparently its supposed functionality! Because it gets the time from the stream or something?

Anyway, if you just leave it set to 000 and don't go back into the sleeptimer option then it should be fine :) But as soon as you go to check the number then it will reset itself to something else. Apparently this is normal, but in my opinion is rather stupid.

So once you've set it to 000, just go to Settings Menu->Save Settings Now, and then pull the plug out of the box. Power it back on, and everything will be fine, but don't check the sleeptimer value, you'll just have to trust it ;)

Note to all current/future developers: See my post in "CVS Edits", please comment out the sleeptimer line :)

Speedy2206
25-06-2006, 06:29 PM
hiya mate, all the channels work but after about 5 mins they start to freeze and the box says channel not found. Only bbc1, bbc2 and itv seem to work afterwards therefore i ruled out the possiblity of a hardware fault with the box. is that correct?
I dont actually have any service and bouquet files to transfer.
i have another dbox(sagem) which works without any problem and i have back that image up and tried to restore on this box but with no luck?
i have looked for service and bouquet files in download files but cant seem to find them there.
any help will be more than welcomed.
many thanks

From what you are posting it sounds like it could be one of three things:

* a uCode issue
* a signal / feed problem
* faulty power supply

As its a sagem, try changing to "uCode Vortex". Its the same procedure as changing from 0014 or 001A, etc. If you're not such how to change uCode then have a search of the forum :) uCode Vortex usually sorts out boxes like these, but not all image creators include it as standard.

As its a sagem, it could also be a faulty power supply. If the box squeekes before it freezes and give you the "channel not available" error, then you may need to replace the power supply. By this, I mean the internal one mounted inside the box. Luckily on a sagem its a seperate circuit board. You can probably get one on eBay but I don't know what sort of price you're looking at. Its a simple unclip old board, clip new board type of job.

To determine if its a signal/feed problem, try removing all splitters and place the box on the main feed coming into the house. If the problem goes away, then your signal is too low. If it makes it worse, then your signal is too high!

For signals that are low, try fitting a booster somewhere on the feed.
For signals that are high, try fitting a 6, 8 or 12db "attenuator" on the feed.
Both items mentioned above can be purchased from Maplins.

[B]Another vital fact to remember[B]: Sagems require a higher signal level than Nokia's, because the tuners are slightly weaker. So if a Nokia box works on the feed but a sagem doesnt, then chances are you need to increase the signal for the Sagem :)

doverai
25-06-2006, 08:55 PM
hiya mate, i think your right and it could be a signal problem with the box because i can view the channels on the box for about 5 mins then picture just comes and goes.Could be a problem with the hardware on the actual box so if i try the booster and see if that works.
I will go out and buy a signal booster and see if that does the trick.
Only thing is that i have another sagem dbox2 which works perfect without any signal booster or anything.

Many thanks for everyone support and i let you know how i get on

Speedy2206
25-06-2006, 09:02 PM
hiya mate, i think your right and it could be a signal problem with the box because i can view the channels on the box for about 5 mins then picture just comes and goes.Could be a problem with the hardware on the actual box so if i try the booster and see if that works.
I will go out and buy a signal booster and see if that does the trick.
Only thing is that i have another sagem dbox2 which works perfect without any signal booster or anything.
Many thanks for everyone support and i let you know how i get on

Try backing up the image from your working sagem and flashing it to your freezing one. Then try putting the freezing sagem in the place where your working one currently is. If the freezing sagem suddenly works then this points to a signal problem in general. If it doesnt improve then its looking closer to a hardware fault, because the images are identical so there can't possibly be any incorrect settings.

doverai
25-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I have tried that but no luck but i have to say it was yesterday in the heat and mucking about with the box for so many hours i could have made some mistakes. But i will try that and let you know my outcome.

cheers once again

s44byy
25-06-2006, 09:48 PM
hi there ...... have u tried changing the i:) mage????

doverai
26-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Brought the booster from argos for 4.99 and still no luck. channels just freezings after a few minutes. Re scan all the channels and still no luck?
Can the box tuner be faulty?
S44byy i have tried all the images in the download section.

digitalman
26-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Brought the booster from argos for 4.99 and still no luck. channels just freezings after a few minutes. Re scan all the channels and still no luck?
Can the box tuner be faulty?
S44byy i have tried all the images in the download section.

do you know anyone else with a dbox?

if so then try the box at that persons house if it works, also try that guys box at yours.

Atleast this way you might be able to find out what the problem might be.

worth a try if you do it.

doverai
26-06-2006, 09:59 PM
does the funny thing, I already have a dbox (sagem) for myself. This dbox was for my aunt. My own dbox 2 works perfectly well with out any faults.

I have backup the image of my own dbox and try to put it on my aunts dbox but still when you try to view the channels it freezes.

digitalman
26-06-2006, 10:07 PM
same when you do a scan for channels?

have u tried the orig sportster from d-loads?

doverai
26-06-2006, 10:21 PM
i have tried all the images from download sections.
Not sure if the tuner in the dbox is faulty but i have no problem watching bbc1, bbc2 and itv. So that confuses me to see if it is hardware or image problem.
I will try the sportster image tomorrow with the booster.

cheers for the advice

fergalsworld
26-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Change to ucode001A also make sure Driver Avia600 is enable
also try changing camds
access to these blue,blue,
dbox misc settings turn hardware sections off.
disconnect the modem inside the box
try a booster
last resort you could try resoldering the tuner spots
there is a guide on here somewhere.

doverai
28-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Hiya mate,
i tried what you said and the box didnt improve from before. the box can stay working for upto 40 mins before it conks out again. What happens is that channels start making a loud etching noise and all you can do is turn the box off from the power and turn it back on.
So with this new finding i believe the i have to fine the correct setting on the box to get it fully working.
What do you mean when you say change camds? what is camds?

many thanks

fergalsworld
28-06-2006, 11:18 PM
what did you try m8
evocamd,mgbcamd and newcamd
it all depends on what image you have at the moment you can
usually access these by pressing blue,blue look for "emu" selection.

doverai
01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Hiya, just gutted after the footy.
i tried all three.
With the cams do i need to select one at a time and turn the other two cams off?
I am currently running Commander 4.

notanotherone
01-07-2006, 08:44 PM
does none of the neutrino images work for you m8?when you turn one off you should re-boot just to be on the safe side and newcamd usualy works for me but as fergaslworld says you have to try each one

de_deej
02-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi all,

My first post, but it looks like you're doing a good job over here guys.:hail:

Anyway I had the same problem with my Nokia, tried all images and now and again I would get a stable one. I came to the conclusion that it was a problem with my box flashing and now and again I would get a good flash which made my box stable (BTW, you should always use IFA if you have a temprimental box).

Anyway the only other thing that helps my box is to strip out the crap that I don't use. I wrote the guide below a while ago, it helps with my box so give it a try.

dbox2 Stability Tips.

Tip 1: Remove all unnecessary splitters especially any old fm/TV splitters. If you have a three way splitter but are only using 2 of the connections replace it with a 2 way one or at least cap the unused outlet. Also make sure you use decent quality connectors.

Tip 2: Remove the Modem – This has been proved to help with sticking/freezing issues.

Tip 3: Edit your services.xml file and only include the channels you actually watch. For a while I had a services file that had over 200 channels I easily rounded this down to 92 and I still only probably use 50 of them. This will help save your box’s memory as it will not be forced to store epg information for 100 or so channels that you never use or may in fact have locked anyway. Come on do you really watch; “BTVService???, “Front Row Previews??? or “Channel 5??? lol. I also remove all the radio stations as I don’t use them.

Tip 4: Make sure that the chip settings are set according to your box type. For example: Gavs images will be set to run on a Nokia box, mine and Cryo’s are set for Sagem boxes. You may not notice any immediate difference but it will help with long term stability. Also make sure you try both the 0014 & 001A ucodes only you will be able to determine what works best for you.

Tip 5: Remove all unnecessary plugins; for example if you never use the teletext get rid of it and make sure that the teletext cache is turned off in the misc settings menu. The only plugins I have installed on my box is the tuxcom plugin and the Sportster menu which I have modified to only contain the features I need (again this makes the menu load faster). Also if you do not need or use the network card turn off the start network on boot feature and only activate it as and when you need it. The same goes for recording. Basically if you don’t use it turn it off or remove it. Remember if you are unsure ask first.

Tip 6: Put the box into a hard standby overnight, this is my personal preference. It might take longer to boot in the morning but it will help avoid lockups later in the day.

Tip 7: My final tip is: Learn how to update the emu/camd and update them when new ones are released. Make sure you know what you are doing and back up your image first so if something goes wrong or you don’t think it works as good you can go back to what you had. You may be thinking why when there are people out there to do it for you ? The answer is simple: The newer version is normally always better, and you will know how to revive your box if it gets killed, but to be honest it is less likely to be zapped if you have the latest.

Good Luck,

de_deej

See you around,

de_dej