PDA

View Full Version : 3G phones with Skype?

hotbaws
03-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can use skype with 3g phones and if video calls are supported? This would be great if possible.

Thanks,

Hotbaws

y2krog2000
03-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Aye m8 you can use skype on 3g but not sure if its available to use in the uk yet.

hotbaws
03-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. Its a shame. I assume that when this is launched that it will be through your 3G provider (e.g. pay them for it?)

Does anyone know if a 3g phone with WIFI can be used with skpye? I'm just wondering if this would work as you woudn't need to pay your 3G provider for using skpye. Also if you were using your own WIFI (in your home) then it would be all free!!

Thanks,

Hotbaws

Tony_Mamaluke
03-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I heard you can use it on the windows pda phones forgot the name of it but i'll get back to you on that

hotbaws
03-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi,

That would be good if it works. I take it that it would only offer voice calls and not skype video calls?

The ideal solution for me is to have a handheld device which can be used with skype video. If WIFI enabled, it means that it would cost a lot less for video calls and even free if using your own WIFI.

Regards,

Hotbaws.

y2krog2000
03-11-2006, 05:03 PM
These were the first people to try it but havent heard anything in a while but it might be already here. Skype on 3G Mobile Devices (http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/March2006/2772.htm)

chipski
31-05-2007, 09:22 AM
3g phones that dont support WiFI wouldn't be cost effective due to the data usage it would use over the Mobile Operators network plus some Operators may Restrict or Disrupt VOiP applications due to heavy bandwidth usage that they cannot guarantee....

PDA's with WiFI would be cost effective however some have software on to restrict the use or even installation of Voip applications (skype)..
there is a work around on some devices ..
generally you have to reset the whole device and it reset windows ... after that it attempts to install Network operator software that does the restriction but this can be aborted and the device comes back as a plain window device allowing you to install anything !

almost any device running Windows Mobile 5 will do this ..

artnmotion
14-12-2007, 01:09 AM
with some of the new packages they are giving "unlimited" data usage, anyone tried using skype on o2 using the 3G data connection?

y2krog2000
14-12-2007, 09:18 AM
I was gonna buy 2 of these phones last week and it all looked good from the adverts but when I looked on the 3 website that were doing the phones it said that you had to top up the phone every 30 days to get to use the skype feature, no real mention of how much you had to top up but I read that it is 10 Euro for people in Europe. I just wanted these phones for the skype calls as I have a skype account with money in it but dont fancy having to stick more money in another phone every month. The FAQ on the three website isnt working atm but think its there that I read it Skype is now mobile, calling the world is free - 3Skypephone.com (http://3skypephone.com/english/index.html)