PDA

View Full Version : wireless router

notanotherone
03-11-2006, 05:44 AM
i have a wireless Linksys router now i dont have a problem with it in fact its very good i bought it off someone who is on here but iwas wondering are these better eBay.co.uk: Linksys Wireless Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linksys-Wireless-Broadband-Router-with-2-Phone-Ports_W0QQitemZ120047611457QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4499 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) ?because i use skype for my phone calls

jmce
03-11-2006, 09:32 PM
As it stands the router you linked to isn't going to help you with Skype. The firmware supports the industry standard SIP protocol, not the propriatary and secretive Skype protocol.

Personally I much prefer SIP because it's an open standard. If you do decide to give SIP a try you should look at using the services of a company like Sipgate:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. They'll give you a free UK phone number in just about any area code. AFAIK this service should be compatible with the Linksys device, give that it does claim SIP compliance.

Cheers,
J.

jmce
03-11-2006, 09:45 PM
For those out there as frustrated as I am and the lack of compatibility between Skype and SIP devices, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

This company make SIP <-> Skype Gateway software for Windows and Linux.
RSDevs.com - Products (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. So, as long as you're willing to spend a small amount of money, and you're happy to be dependent of a running PC, you can use SIP hardware with Skype!

So, forget everything I said in the last post ;-)

notanotherone
03-11-2006, 09:49 PM
so what you saying now is that i can use this router lol

jmce
04-11-2006, 02:23 AM
We'll I hate it when people contradict me, so I figure it's better that I contradict myself :-)

I'm going to give this gateway software a try in the next few days. I'll post a my findings on the appropriate forum when I have something to report.

I'll be trying to link a SIP phone to Skype via my Asterisk server and this gateway software. Should be fun!!

J.

notanotherone
04-11-2006, 10:17 AM
well ill leave it in your capable hands for now lol and await your findings good luck