PDA

View Full Version : VLC and streaming

TheObserver
31-05-2006, 08:08 PM
HI,
i've got an AVI file that i want to watch and I beleive that i have got to stream it from my PC. I have done it with Neutrino in the past but I am struggling with Gemini 2.9. Does anyone know how to do it?/:)

Devilfish
31-05-2006, 09:15 PM
HI,
i've got an AVI file that i want to watch and I beleive that i have got to stream it from my PC. I have done it with Neutrino in the past but I am struggling with Gemini 2.9. Does anyone know how to do it?/:)

The Gemini images can't stream avi files, only mpg and ts files. I only realised this when I switched to Gemini as well. I think it's a small sacrifice to pay for the improved stability.

numdoitoa
18-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Humm... I have the same problem with this but I did change the format to mpg and ts then I will broadcast...

Kiefels
19-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Thought I would jump in on this thread so as to not clutter the forum.

I have setup the Dreambox with a CIFS mount on my PC.
I have not been able to read much up on the Gemini image but I am sure it should be capable of mp3 streaming.
Which is why I am here really.

I have set up the mount and when I go into "File Mode" I can access the mount and select my mp3's only trouble is, it won't play them.

What I need to know is...

Am i gonna have to install a third party media player
Is this a Gemini related problem or
Is the dreambox not capable of decoding mp3 files?

osborne82
19-06-2006, 12:10 PM
um strange one

gemini can indeed play mp3s i for one play all my mp3s through the dreambox.
when u set up your mount did u set it to RW ? shouldnt make a difference for playback i know but i dont know what to suggest lol
are u giving it enough time to play as sometimes for me when i select a mp3 or even a ts file it sometimes can take upto a min to start playing
maybe re examin your mount settings and double check youve set up the windows share correctly :)

cheers

osborne82

Kiefels
19-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Hmmm!

Okay so I re-checked my settings. But they must be correct because I can go through my whole mp3 collection. If it was incorrect this would not be possible.

So I then went through the albums and found some would play and some wouldn't.

Just a case of discovering why?

So I checked the kbps rates on the none playing albums. This is where I found my problem and answer.

Turns out that the none playing albums are 256kbps and the Dreambox can't cope with my 256 mp3's

I have no trouble with 192 so I guess a quick convert will sort this problem out.

Thanks for the replies though.

Cheers!

italix
23-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Maybe they are mp3-pros, and not original mp3s?