PDA

View Full Version : VLC Player stutters!

xiga
25-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi guys,

well, I'm new here (and totally loving the forum!) and just thought I'd run this one pastall of ye and see if we can't get it sorted between us.
I've installed VLC Player (latest version) and for some reason it simply won't play ANY movie files properly. There's this constant 'flickering' (for lack of a better word) and it's all the more strange seeing as AL Show and Media Player play all my movies just fine (I want to stream movies from my PC to my Dbox downstairs and apparently you have to use VLC Player for that).
How powerful a computer do you need to stream movies this way? Here's my rig (2 years old):

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (o/c to 2.2GHz), 2.5GB Ram, XP Pro, Geforce 6800

Not fantastic by todays standards but surely powerful enough for this purpose I would have thought?

Could it be a codec issue? I'm running an older version of the Forceware Driver (84.21 I think) as the newer ones caused even bigger problems and this one has always served me well so I rolled back. I'm also using the K-Lite codec pack.
I#ve probably installed (and uninstalled) a lot of drivers/codecs over those 2 years, is there an easy way to clean it all up, leaving only what's needed, and none of the crap?

Any opinions fire away guys.

Cheers.

y2krog2000
26-10-2006, 05:55 PM
VLC is a fully independant player. It uses its own plugins instead of system-wide codecs. VLC does not conflict in any way with other programs.

KL Codec Information > VLC media player question (http://www.codecs.ipbfree.com/lofi/index.php/t1442.html)

jay
30-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Your rig seems fine, during playback look in task manager to monitor the cpu usage, you may have a proggy running that demands priority, maybe its a bad install, other than that try a differnt version.
sorry no staight forward answer

To be honest, I know it's a pain you need to format, 2 years....really? my OS never lasts more than a year, I'm sure most are the same on here. My mate who has a successful software company formats every 6 months.

nice post y2krog2000, I didn't know it was totally independant. I would have sudgested codec:(

y2krog2000
31-10-2006, 09:09 AM
nice post y2krog2000, I didn't know it was totally independant. I would have sudgested codec:(

Neither did I, I sugested codec and found that they had their own set so changed it.

thom
31-10-2006, 09:10 PM
my mates computer was the same, his was caused to a certan program That Was Running In The Background And Just Ran Out Of Ram And Processor Was Under Strain

alex
04-11-2006, 08:09 PM
VLC is a excellent player It uses its own plugins m8.:-v :-v

conrad69
06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Just a though I had similar problem with mpeg files. Flickering and green bars across the bottom. It was due to the fact the files I was trying to play had been encoded as NTSC not. PAL. I converted some to PAL and they all worked

Sicilian
12-11-2006, 08:47 AM
What version are you using? I found the latest 8.5 to be a bit buggy, so went back to 7.2.