PDA

View Full Version : interuptions on digital

bobbybow
25-10-2006, 02:52 PM
i have a phillips tv with built in digital reciever and every time my gas central heating kicks in the tv seems to stop and then the picture and sound go out of sync can anyone help

nss1888
25-10-2006, 03:45 PM
It's caused by the RF interfreance generated by the electronic switch in you central heating.. Some folk have a similar issue when cars drive by (improperly shielded alternators...)

There isn't an awful lot you can do really, but try shielding your ariel cable (or move it away from the boiler...) but short of surrounding your telly in tin foil you are a bit gubbed...... (Oh, check the earth tags in you arial connectors just to make sure... )

:(

dx100-uk
25-10-2006, 07:40 PM
depends if the central heating is yours or not.
if its council, contract etc, etc or WHY then get them to get the ignitor unit changed.

if its yours and your brave........

change it yourself, most heating stockists should carry them unless it is old (though they are an arm & a leg rip-off price).

or for a few pence......

clean the ignitor electrode with a suede brush (it will be black with deposits)
so will the area it sparks to.

also there should be a capacitor across its feed to earth.
these often fail, you can either replace it with one from Maplin or CPC.

but please be careful there are some nasty voltages involved.

abynk
20-11-2006, 02:22 AM
I got the same problem , mine is a samsund tv with integrated freeview, whenever my neighbour starts some power tools I am getting intereptions.
Mobilephones as well causing same

Any suggestions?

thanks

dx100-uk
20-11-2006, 02:33 AM
try one of the PC mains filter plugs you can buy in shops
but you should not be getting it from phones
i'd be inclined to get your aerial coax changed for some of the sat stuff
its got very good earthing

linking the outer casing of your tv aerial plug to say a metal water/heating pipe might help also.
sounds to me as though its naff coax or your signal is very weak.

dx100uk