PDA

View Full Version : What Dbox should I get???

wozzo123
24-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Y'all,
I'm going to buy a Dbox for Satellite (Get rid of the sky digi box), but before I do take the plunge I'd like to have some guidance on:
*What Dbox should I go for (remember I'll be using my existing dish).
*If I buy one in Debug mode, linux nutrino - what do I need to do regarding the "image" for receiving all channels etc?
*Can you tell me who to buy from?
I'm very much a novice and I've read the FAQ section, but there's nothing better than advice and recommendations?
Cheers
Wozzo

ikon
24-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Are you sure that you are not really looking for a DBOX-2 for cable rather than Satellite?

wozzo123
24-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi Ikon,
Many thanks for your reply..
No its definitely for Sat. I can't get cable where I live and the guys on feaby are selling them?
received your PM, but can't reply as yet because I don't have enough points..
Appreciate your advice, I'll probably get one off feabay, the guy I've been watching seems to have a good reputation from his feedback and the boxes are in debug+linux nutrino+uk image. Once I get this box will it just be a matter of "plug in and watch"? remember mine is Satellite?
Speak to you soon.
Cheers
Wozzo

Haladini
24-10-2006, 02:11 PM
To the best of my knowledge, S*y encryption is still watertight. You may be able to receive other broadcasts from other Sat. operators but not the ones your digibox was decoding.

DessertDog
24-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Personally i think your confused not sure if you want sat or not cos the boxes you are decribing in fleebay i assume are for cable not sat ?

wozzo123
24-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi Guys,
The auctions on feabay are for Sat Dboxes, they are more exensive than the cable boxes. Sellers have confirmed the boxes are for Sat and come in debug mode, linux nutrino and with a Uk image... So I assumed they would function in the same way?
But I'm in to minds now because not too sure what channels I would receive??
Any more thoughts..
Cheers
Wozzo

ikon
24-10-2006, 07:02 PM
To the best of my knowledge, S*y encryption is still watertight. You may be able to receive other broadcasts from other Sat. operators but not the ones your digibox was decoding.

Soz m8... Haladini os spot on. If you are lookimg for S*y channels then the Sat DBOX-2 is not the way to go.

tomk
24-10-2006, 07:13 PM
if you want a sat box i think the dream box is the best and lots of suport for them

wozzo123
24-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Big thanks for the info guys, its appreciated.
So it seems I may have to look at the dreambox then, anybody point me in the right direction?

notanotherone
24-10-2006, 07:40 PM
you should try here if your talking dreambox ..DVB-Shop24 - The satellite tv shop for UK and Ireland (http://www.dvb-shop24.net)

wozzo123
24-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Cheers Notanotherone, I'll research the "dreambox" and see how it goes.
Many thanks Wozzo

ryan25
11-11-2006, 04:21 PM
If you want cable boxes or any dream multimedia products I've been Signal Master Satellite, they are the soul distributor for Dreamboxes in the UK and they have all the range of Dreamboxes,very good service and a very big warehouse. Their website SMS The Dreamboxshop official distributors of Dream- multimedia satellite receivers. (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Address Unit 1a Bridge Road Camberley Surrey GU15 2QR, UK. They are 17 miles from London Heathrow Airport. Cheers Ryan

notanotherone
11-11-2006, 04:50 PM
as i say if you use these ppl as most do ..http://world-of-digital.com/forums/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2FTo view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and if you play your cards rite you could get a discount ;)

keymaster
11-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi
I had a Dbox2 from ebay, they work similar (although not the same) as dreambox as long as u remember not to buy KABEL.
I found them a little more difficult but don't like neutrino image. another niggle is that nearly all the forums are in german only. I sold my dbox2 and moved to dreambox - then 7020 dreambox.
Pretty much everything is available through share on dreambox.
cheers
Keymaster

Speedy2206
12-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I need to clear up the issue of sat DBOX2s and Dreamboxs. Firstly, Sky use powerful NDS encryption - they are nothing like NTL/Telewest. Regardless of what type of box you use, you will NOT BE ABLE TO RECEIVE UK CHANNELS. You can get up a ladder and turn your dish and receive foreign channels (foreign as in not english) and some of them may be lucky to have english subtitles.

You will really only get foreign TV with a satellite dbox2 or dreambox, and only when you can find the right images and tools for it.

yossarian31
12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
if you are interested in foreign sat m8 then theres loads on offer, i wouldn't bother with a dbox though, try a technomate 1500Ci+ , easily patchable, if you want footy get an arts sport card, all premmy matches with eng commentry, often the same commentry as bbc/sly, loads of movie channels on D+ , multi and absat and lots of music channels plus some p**n as well if thats your cup of tea.
you will not be able to unscramble sky uk no matter what decoder you use

lapper
16-11-2006, 07:04 PM
If you go for satellite, get used to FTPing. The keys for D+ and TPS (two of the main movie channels) have been changing keys very often, two or three times a week. You need to FTP the keys to the Dreambox.
Lapper

yossarian31
16-11-2006, 08:02 PM
If you go for satellite, get used to FTPing. The keys for D+ and TPS (two of the main movie channels) have been changing keys very often, two or three times a week. You need to FTP the keys to the Dreambox.
Lapper

tps change keys every friday afternoon, find the darkman patch about 1 hr later and you'll get tps, multivision plus loads of other stuff free, patch takes about 20 secs to upload, absolutly no hassle. The D+ keys change twice a week, on weds and sundays usually just before the spanish footy. again they take secs to upload. I personally wouldn't bother with a dreambox, go for the technomate 1500ci+, much cheaper and esaier to use and loads of support. pm me if you need any more details

tigertail100
17-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Ode to Dbox2

I have no complaints , much better than the Fortec star. I was lucky and came by mine cheap (?30) and took the risk. I am not sure about comparisons with other Linux boxes , but the end goal it a image on a screen and it does manage as many FTA channels as your terrestrial boxes does apart from the boring ones. In three weeks I have trawled the net and gained a wealth of experience , it has some great features purely due to its Ethernet connector. It plays its role by providing my wife with programmes in her native language and me with endless hours of fun trying to break it. Sky boxes are 10 a penny these days , and old versions of Sky plus can be had for ?50. Dbox will never replace or provide free Sky , I pay 40 quid per month for not a lot , try finding something to watch between 7 and 10 , most times its on BBC or ITV.

krazylegz
18-11-2006, 02:02 AM
take yossarians advice m8 if your getting a new box get a TM1500ci+super by far the easiest box to use and program. but also got to mirror what speedy says, you will not get sly channels except the FTA ones such as BBC1,2ITV,cbeebies etc. and since your minidish will be pointing at astra2(28.2e) you wont get anything more than just mentioned. but if your serious about wanting european satellite you can get a full motorised system off fleabay for about ?220 includes a TM1500CI+Super,90cm dish,diseqc 1.2 motor,wall bracket,0.2 lnb,20 meters coax cable,F connectors and wall clips. the channels on the satellite are unbelievable i can currently recieve about 21 different satellites on my system rangeing for 30w to 39e cant get turksat @ 42e due to chimney:( but just the likes of hotbird 13e has a couple of thousand channels ( a lot of foreign,but on the Multivision channels you can change the language to english if the film showing was made in english.

TPS keys last a week D+ keys can last anything from 1 day to a week these 2 are 2 of the biggest satellite packages that i rate highly and is money well spent on just these and all the hardcore XXX (for educational purposes of course;) )

wobbly
18-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I suggest :
Leave the sly-box and dish as they are. You can always fall back to using it for FTA channels, even with a cancelled sly-contract.
If you are ready to invest in a new box and if you are of a technical type of mind then I suggest that you put up a new dish, a mono-block twin LNB and hang a dreambox off the feed. The dish, pole/brkt and LNB should cost about ?100. The cost of the STB depends on what you are willing to spend. With the dreambox, once you get your head around it, will cost you anything from ?140 for the 500S up to 450/500 for the top end models. If you like the dreambox, you will always want the next-best model, so extend yourself now and buy the best one that you can afford. The 500 is low on function. I have a 7020S and I love it. I am waiting for the new model to become available and I will upgrade.
The Dreamboxes are not for the technically illiterate among us, you really will need to grasp a few basics to enable you to get the best from it.
That said, there is plenty of help available on the net and the rewards are well worth it.
With regard to Sky and dreamboxes, AFAIK there are no emulators that will decode the channels. The best that you can hope for is to use a dragon cam and genuine sky-card in a dreambox. This WILL allow you to view all channels within the subscriptions allowable by the real sky card. This then allows you to use the Dreambox hard drive as a PVR - without paying sly for the pleasure of their system. Also it allows you to access the dreambox streams across your lan, so you can distribute the channels around your home.
There exists an emulator called Gbox - this is supposed to do something with NDS but I haven't played with it myself.

krazylegz
18-11-2006, 04:44 PM
i agree with wobbly about leaving sly dish and box but i would recommend getting a motorised dish instead of the monoblock then you'll fully appreciate the joy of having european satellite. one other thing i would say is if you're not planning on doing loads of networking stuff with the system i'd recommend just getting a technomate 1500CI+super they are by far a lot easier to set up and operate and by far the most supported box there is. dreamboxs are good boxes but are for enthusiasts so if it's just to watch tv a motorised technomate system is the best way to go for u m8