PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Router For Just 5 Euro's

bigboy99
23-10-2006, 06:30 PM
FON (http://en.fon.com/)

Collider
23-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Would this work with cable or is it just for there service?

ando
24-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Our members share their wireless Internet access at home and, in return, enjoy free WiFi wherever they find another Fonero?s Access Point.

Seems to me its a unsecure router so ppl can connect using ur broadband if u get it send me ur addy so i can get ppl in ur area to sit outside ur house stealing ur bandwidth
LOL

y2krog2000
24-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Our members share their wireless Internet access at home and, in return, enjoy free WiFi wherever they find another Fonero?s Access Point.
Seems to me its a unsecure router so ppl can connect using ur broadband if u get it send me ur addy so i can get ppl in ur area to sit outside ur house stealing ur bandwidth
LOL

You can buy the router set upan account and then dont bother using the router then you will be able to access wireless internet from other peoples. I would get one but there are not that many of these access points about.

y2krog2000
26-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Thinking of getting one of these to try it out after reading this.

The fledgling Internet service provider FON has caught the notice of many by promoting a uniquely egalitarian access method. Instead of establishing its own infrastructure, FON encourages users of existing Internet connections to open their access to others by purchasing a public WiFi access point from the company. The latest element of that strategy was announced today in the form of the La Fonera wireless router. A replacement for an earlier model, the access point differentiates itself by separating the Internet connection into public and private arenas: two different wireless network IDs are broadcast, with one reserved only for the WiFi host and another available to customers. This improves security, says FON, and also lets the owner customize the bandwidth available to outsiders.

This dual environment is also the key to FON's pricing and its impact on WiFi adoption. While the general public must pay $3 per day to access the connection, purchasing a La Fonera router for $5 gives free access to other members' access points -- spurring users to offer their own access instead of simply relying on others. The La Fonera is available now and will be demonstrated in New York and San Francisco later this month.

Anyone think this would be worth while or would it just be a waste of a fiver.

y2krog2000
31-10-2006, 05:32 PM
you buy them from the link that someone provided and I think some shops must sell them but I dont know of any,

y2krog2000
02-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Why did jezhuggins post here then remove their posts? is this allowed?

kardking
05-11-2006, 05:24 PM
But how safe is this?

y2krog2000
05-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Well i dont know anyone that will be buying one soon so they wont be nicking my internet if I even decide to use the thing, but I will be getting free broadband on the go anyways.