PDA

View Full Version : Sony Block PS3

nss1888
23-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Sony are at it again.. determined not to let European gamers get their grubby paws on the hardware before Sony let them...

EU Blockers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm)

Sony has said it will use the "full scope of the law" to block the importing of PlayStation 3s (PS3) into Europe before its official release.
The much-anticipated games console goes on sale in the US and Japan next month but is not out in Europe until 2007.

Last week a British judge ruled that Taiwanese import/export firm Lik-Sang could not sell the Japanese version of Sony's handheld PSP in Europe.

The case sets a precedent for would-be importers of PlayStation 3 consoles.

A spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) told the BBC: "The law is clear, and grey importing PS2, PSP or PS3 into the EU, without the express permission of SCEE is illegal.

"Therefore, we will utilise the full scope of the law to put a stop to any retailers who chose to do this."

The PlayStation 3 has cost billions of dollars to produce

Critics of Sony's approach feel that the electronics giant is preventing gamers in Europe from getting their hands on PlayStation 3s early, even if they have to pay a hefty premium.

The spokesman said: "Ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards."

He pointed out that the Japanese or American PS3 models would not play older European-sold software for the first two PlayStations, would not play EU Blu-ray movies or DVDs, and would not be covered by a warranty.

The decision to delay the release of the PS3 in Europe - due to stock shortages of vital components for the machine's Blu-ray player - came as a blow to players in the world's second-biggest games market.

The machine will be released in Europe in March, while it goes on sale on November 17 in the US and November 11 in Japan.

My advice... get a pen pal in the US or Japan, then get them to get one for you and post it over.. (a whole possibility for eBay scams I think :( )

anonymouse
23-10-2006, 02:36 PM
have they ever stated their reasons for delaying europe?

nss1888
23-10-2006, 03:56 PM
They cannae produced enough Blu-ray lasers, for the drives, to be able to supply the demand from all release "zones", hence we get nowt till they can... :(

y2krog2000
23-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I think it would be a good idea for sony to discount the price of the ps3 for people who have had to put up with the delay as a gesture of good will.

nss1888
24-10-2006, 08:06 AM
What have these things in common....

An end to world hunger...

An end to war...

Government admitting that they are a bunch of shaftin bassas....

Sony giving anybody money off PS3 for their "problems"....
Give up ??
I think I can here the sound of ice forming somewhere quite toasty :p
WARINING... WARRNING.... cynicism and scrcasam overload :explode:

sorry, I shouldn't post before having caffine in the moring... ;)

neilmajithia
24-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Probably a waste of time importing it anyway. Costs so much more, and you cant play eu bluray films and games (inc ps2 & 1) and you dont get the free online subcription which for the sake of a few months makes it not worth it imho, but people are impatient and will get it anyway and then come march they will moan about gettin it chiped/moded! lol oh well

Shipoftheline
24-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I'd love for just one country to turn round and stop Sony from selling products in there country just to see how they like free trade

KevvieBhoy
24-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Could be worse, they could be running on Sony rechargeable batteries.

nss1888
25-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Could be worse, they could be running on Sony rechargeable batteries.

Dell ones are good too..... :fireeng:

:D

tazz67
26-10-2006, 08:02 PM
i just want the new ps3 out

boabness
26-10-2006, 09:06 PM
hear we will pay more for it hear in the uk. and we get it last how do they work that out ?

neilmajithia
27-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Heres how they work it out. Basicly as the EU is techincally not the same market as america and japan, they need to manufactur the ps3s (and a lot of other electonics) differently according to the reigon and i think the UK is different to most of mainland europe. This makes the market place smaller for the uk ps3 compared to the US and Japan. So they charge us a premium because we live in the UK (uk tax doesnt help either) also the reason for the delay to the eu was bacause of a manufactuing shortage of blu-ray components or something and i think they gave prioity to US and Japan on that one.

boabness
27-10-2006, 08:40 PM
k thanks for that :drunk:

dil
28-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Just wondered why cant they release it to us first in the UK (EU) with there tax and all that rigmaroll that goes with it and then supply it to america and japan.
were always last to receive new sony products and microsofts consoles.

I just think they should mass produce it and sell it globaly,(they are a massive company) maybe in limited quantitles to every country but at least it will be fair, so they dont have to shut down websites like Lik-sang.com for importing to the EU and wasting courts time to ban sony imports to the EU before the release dates.

y2krog2000
28-10-2006, 06:39 AM
They actualy pay the same amount of tax in America as wee do and in some states they pay more the things are only cheaper because the pound is far stronger than the dollar nothing to do with the amount of tax.

jacksnap
28-10-2006, 03:45 PM
i hate what they did to lik sang, that was a great store

thedaddy
30-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Just read this on another Forum.
Are Sony serious??
Looks like they are getting too big for their boots now.

Senior staff at Sony has reportedly bought PlayStation Portables from illegal sources. Their reasoning behind the purchases? To look into the nature of the products that were being sold and ensure they were up to speed. Meanwhile, Sony was suing the company for selling illegal goods.

Lik-Sang had legal action pushed to them and it was ruled that it was illegal for the firm to import the Japanese version of the PlayStation 3 into Europe ahead of it's release, officially due in March of '07. Gamers have had issue with Sony delaying the release of the PS3 in Europe but Sony claims the delay is only because of lack of stock for vital components.

Lik-Sang, tail between their legs, announced that it was going to close down on Monday, following legal action from Sony, and then took a last moment dig and named the top directors by name...for the public to see...and claimed they had purchased products from them in the past, illegally.

Sony felt this was further proof that Lik-Sang had no values by publically releasing client names, but many feel this was fair. Why would a Hong Kong import/export firm be of interest to Sony directors? They probably were like anyone else, and wanted products they could not yet gain access to in Europe.

Interesting game plan, Sony, in claiming you were only doing it to protect clients. Even more interesting, Lik-Sang, for disclosing private information right before closing your doors. Can you say "passive/agressive"?

Diablo13
30-10-2006, 10:21 PM
I heard today that despite its huge price and wonderful Blu-Ray technology the PS3 still wont play High def disks without first buying another expensive addon? They really are taking the p1ss. I would far rather it would play a high def disc than a Blu-ray anyway as I just dont see the point of it. Who is going to make a 16gig game for gods sake, the development time and end price would be ridiculous. If it costs up to 40 quid for a game now what will future games cost? I have never seen the point of Blu-Ray in a games console anyway, so I still think the PS3 is going to turn into a huge white elephant when the hype dies down and people actually get their hands on them.
On a side note they are supposed to cost $499 in America and ?499 here. Easy maths tell you thats almost twice the price for the same machine!
Well I am a Playstation 2 fan but they can shove the ps3 at that price up the most convenient orifice.:cussing: :no:

jimbob
31-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Diablo: -
I have never seen the point of Blu-Ray in a games console anyway, so I still think the PS3 is going to turn into a huge white elephant when the hype dies down and people actually get their hands on them.

I think it due to the fact they want your PS3 to become your entertainment centre and not just a games console. It also because the bluray technology is developed by sony so if you flood the market with a system that has cult status that has this technology imbedded into it, it will hopefully push the DVD and games manufacturs into supporting their format. VHS vs Betamax all over again.

Diablo: -
On a side note they are supposed to cost $499 in America and ?499 here. Easy maths tell you thats almost twice the price for the same machine!
neilmajithia hit the nail bang on the head with this one. It's also due to our EU regulations. The EU are becoming more strict each year on the safety and operating regulations on electronic goods imported into the EU. Sony have decided to carry that cost on to the avergae Joe Bloggs. The only thing is, we live in a capitalist nation, supply and demand. Sony will do it because they know people will pay it.

Regards

J.

amouse
02-12-2006, 10:32 PM
While on the subject of the PS3, lets hope Sony encourage the develop of homebrew software (although I bet they don't). They have made it so diffucult on the PSP constantly changing the firmware, etc.. Surely they should realise they will sell more units if they allow people to write software for it. This is what made the home micros of the late seventies and early eighties so popular, and it also spawned a whole generation of 'home' programmers.

madman2
03-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Are people going to pay that money for the PS3? when you can buy the XBox 360 for alot cheaper!!

Diablo13
03-12-2006, 10:22 PM
My latest spy in the underpants of Sony reports that the PS3 uses a similar system to the Psp. As a result of this forward thinking by Sony the firmware has been hacked in the states already. So Sony shoots itself in the foot again and have done us all a great favour by delaying the release in Europe. They dump all the untested, bug ridden crap machines on America and Japan first, so they can be taken apart and fixed by home users, which Sony never managed to do themselves. By the time it gets here we may have the chance of getting a decent machine, all it takes is patience. Thanks Sony, great plan, I approve wholeheartedly. Now cut the price in half and include a high def player in the box instead of a game and I might seriously considder getting 1. :appl: :troutslap:

Freeviewer
10-12-2006, 01:41 PM
True, the software is the same the psp was hacked a while back to make it play older games emulating them. Their was talk of the ps3 able to do the same although it was said it will be very hard to hack into the 3d graphics chip for some games. The fact is your going to pay ?1,000 for a blue ray player and Sony give you it for 500/600 pound not sure of the exact price but they lose money on each one sold, one of the reasons it will be pricey here and another why they cannot get it out here till march and the blue ray shortages also count on that one.

Best to buy this 2/3 years in when the hardware is settled and out of the testing phase, and the ps3 actually plays all ps2 and ps1 games.

chrisispk
13-12-2006, 01:09 PM
yeah i think i'll wait a while b4 i get a ps3.

jooble
27-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Every time new technology is delayed its the UK who has to wait.Oh and the price always seem to go up.