PDA

View Full Version : General FAQ

Hunter
30-05-2006, 01:23 PM
DBox2 General FAQ

Q: Can I connect my DBox2 via the 3 phono outputs on the back of the box but I only get sound and no picture?

A: The 3rd phono socket is not for video, it is to control a VCR. This is a very old method and no longer used. If you need phono connection you will need to buy a scart-phono or even a scart-SVHS Converter.

Q: Can I use more than one box in my house?

A: Yes, you will need a splitter and possibly and aerial booster.

Q: I am still unsure about this “debug??? mode as when my box boots up it does show the numbers on the LCD but then shows “Premiere??? or “Bitte warten??? or “Einen Moment Bitte??? or even “Fehler 04???

A: The Dbox2 is in “debug??? mode but it still has the original Betanova O/S is on it. You can just use Image Flashing Assistant or DBox Bootmanager to overwite it with another image.

Q: My box is already in “debug??? mode and I want to connect to it via my PC but how do I know the IP address of the Dbox2?

A: Press the Dbox Key on the remote (TV key on some older remotes) and choose Settings/Einstellungen and then Network/Netzwerk. You can then see the IP settings of the Box or modify it. Important is that you save the settings once you have changed them.

Q: I have now a Image on my Dbox2 but why is everything is in German?

A: Press the Dbox key on the remote (or TV key) then choose option 4 Einstellungen, and then Sprache, then Deutsch, press OK and select English. Press home to go back and press red to save. If there is not English option you need to obtain a “English.Locale??? file for your Dbox. FTP it over and restart the box and repeat the above. Alternatively try a different image.

Q: Will I need a different Image for the other UK Cable Providers?

A: No, the Images are always the same for all areas/providers. The difference is the so called service files and bouquet files.

Q: How can I find out how many Flashchips my Box has?

A: The best way is to look inside your DBox2. Not necessarily by opening it, but just looking through the top grill with a torch. Look for the chips that have Intel/AMD written on them, near the middle of the main board. Images of these chips can been seen in the Debug tutorial. There are software programs that will tell you as well as the newer versions of IFA.

Q: Where do I get a service file for my town/area/provider?

A: There isn’t much need to download service files for a specific area as most newer images support scanning on UK cable Networks. However there are a few listed in the service file sticky. Note that they may not be up to date.

Q: My Dbox is working perfect now and I feel confident to play around. What should I do next?

A: It is a good idea to make a backup of your image that includes all changes and settings that you have done up so far in case things go wrong. This is how:

Press the D-Box Key
Choose Service
Choose Software Update
Choose Expert Mode
Choose Read Single Partition without Bootloader

A copy of your image gets written into the /tmp folder on the DBox2. You can then connect via your FTP Program and save it to your PC.

Q: How can I flash an Image without using the IFA or Dbox Boot Manager?

A: Connect via your FTP Program to your box and copy the image to the main /tmp folder. Then on DBox2:

Press the D-Box Key
Choose Service
Choose Software Update
Choose Expert Mode
Choose Write Single Partition without Bootloader.

The copy of your Image can be selected via the remote and then just press OK and after that the red Button to confirm.

Q: The box is now up and running and I get all channels but can I sort them like on my original cable box?

A: Yes and no. You will never be able to sort the channels exactly like they were on your original box but you can group them in so called bouquets. There are three ways to do this:

One is on the box itself via the remote:

Press Dbox Key
Choose Service
Choose Bouquet Editor

The coloured buttons on the bottom of the screen give you different options. Pressing the DBox key again will give you features like hide and lock. You can create new bouquets like Sport, Movies etc but the rest of the channels that have not been allocated into any other bouquet will stay in andere/alle kanale (Other channels). You can also move the channels position in a bouquet up and down.

Another way is via the Webinterface of the Box itself:

You type in http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Replace the with the actual IP of the Dbox) into your web browser.

Click on the Bouquet editor (or Bouquets) and use the links to edit the bouquets to they way you want them

Normally if there is no Bouquets set up, the channels will be in andere/alle kanale or others.

You can create new bouquets like Sport, Movies etc but the rest of the channels that have not been allocated into any other bouquet will stay in andere/alle kanale (Other channels). You can also move the channels position in a bouquet up and down.

Make sure when you are done editing the bouquets that you save them, (save/speichern) or all your changes will be lost.

If you are not to bothered about organising the channels into several bouquets or you just want a quick way to access the channels you like you can press the Blue Key and then the Green Key. This will put the current channel in to a bouquet called Favourites. Favourites will be the first channels in your list. This is a quick and easy way to get all your BBC's, ITV’s, Channel 4 etc. in the lower numbers so you can just press 1 for BBC 1.

Third way to organise the bouquets is via PC software such as Bouquet Wizard or Bouquetter.

Q: I ended up messing around with my Dbox and I have KEIN SYSTEM on the LCD display. How do I fix this?

A: You have flashed a wrong image type, 2 chip image on a 1 chip box or vice versa. Just flash the correct image, and it should be fine.

Q: I am using a Sportster Image and it has a section for Online Updates and something called Susi. What can I do with that?

A: These Updates are mostly for German usage only. The Key updates are for Satellite users/boxes only. You can update plugins, camd’s and games but the box needs to be connected to the Internet and your network settings need to be correct.

(Credits to PT-1 and Unlocker Forums for the above)