PDA

View Full Version : Sky Plus

channel 15
17-10-2006, 08:35 PM
hey folks...is it possible to extract programmes and movies you have recorded on your SKY PLUS hard drive..ive used a male to male USB CABLE linked into my laptop but the laptop cant see it as an external mass storage device....any ideas on how i can do this..?

SBouri
17-10-2006, 10:05 PM
no it wont work via usb, have you tried to watch a recorded program without the card inside the box...

If it doesnt work then that means their is no way around it, unless you take the hard drive out and connect it to your pc as another hard drive..but im not sure if thats possible

JonB2
19-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,

As SBouri says...no, this is because the encrypted (NDS) data is stored on the hard drive, it's then decoded when you whach the recording.

You could capture the film onto your PC via the scart socket, although I'm not sure about macrovision on the Sly+ box.

This is one of the reasons I didn't go down the Sly+ route, but got a Sony PVR/DVD recorder & record Sly programmes to that, then transfer films to the PC via DVD RW's

Rupert is a control freak, don't encourage him by subscribing........IMO

Jon

mpg1965
24-11-2006, 02:07 PM
yeah my mate tried the same thing hoping to do the same but as said above,no joy,,,,,,,,,,,,

26-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Don't know if this is in the right section I have a topfield 5500pvr works exactly the same as sky+ no card or out of date card no watch your recorded progs. only exception is FTA don't know if this is the same for sky+
though.

maxbadger
28-11-2006, 05:27 PM
is it possible to extract programmes and movies you have recorded on your SKY PLUS hard drive..ive used a male to male USB CABLE linked into my laptop but the laptop cant see it as an external mass storage device....any ideas on how i can do this..?

1. There is an option in one of the menus to allow playback into a VCR which is true for most content. I think there is a flag that can be set within content that disables this function, ppv movies for example mebby. Oh, if you use this option to playout toward a VCR thats all the rendering the box will do, ie no watching other channels whilst dumping content.

2. USB afaik is not enabled. Certainly not for getting at the HDD content.

3. The disk format is NDS proprietary. Forget mounting this in a windows or linux box and pulling content. Even if you did get the content, consider the transport streams will still be encrypted and shall require decrypt through the box to render. Nothing I'm aware of that will allow a PC to decrypt VideoGuard.