PDA

View Full Version : Dead PC

Satch
15-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi All,

A work M8s Comp as died, wont turn on at all, he had a play with no luck.

So I said I'd have a play Thinking no power must be the psu so tried another but still no go.

Any Ideas Guys?

Will post what make etc when I can (think its an emachine).

610 emachines
2600+ amd athlon xp processor
512mb ddr

little_pob
15-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Have you tried the fuse in the power lead?

Otherwise its most likely either the processor or motherboard, as everything else would give you some sort of beep or post error.

Satch
15-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Have you tried the fuse in the power lead?

Otherwise its most likely either the processor or motherboard, as everything else would give you some sort of beep or post error.

HiYa,

Thanx for the reply, yeah power lead A O K there is some power getting to the mother board as the nvidia chip getting hot. but that's it not really had much of a play.

But no idea what I'm looking for?

vichio
15-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Could be the hdd dead (or a number of other things for that), do you have one to swap?

Satch
15-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Could be the hdd dead (or a number of other things for that), do you have one to swap?

what's an hdd? LoL I'm going to try that hdd in another system + etc but as for the processor not got one to try only got intel processor in my systems.

When he dropped the tower off he said his wife had read or heard something about something (Virus) being sent to the comp that would kill it????? Don't ask me.......?

vichio
15-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I suggested that as I had a similar problem on a D*ll pc. The hard disk appeared to be dead and the pc did not boot. Then, changed the hard disk it rebooted ok and later worked with the old hard disk as well. The IT guy showed me a couple of transistors inside that were lifted and said they caused the confict in the first place (but this seems to be an issue with D*ll).

JP24/7
20-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi All,
A work M8s Comp as died, wont turn on at all, he had a play with no luck.
So I said I'd have a play Thinking no power must be the psu so tried another but still no go.
Any Ideas Guys?
Will post what make etc when I can (think its an emachine).
610 emachines
2600+ amd athlon xp processor
512mb ddr

I have a similar problem, my pc when I turn it on it goes so far through the start up process the just turns it self off.. I go try to turn it on again and it just dosn't turn on, but if I leave it a while it turns on then dose the same again and turn off.

If anyone could help me with this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

chrissy2k6
21-10-2006, 05:38 AM
I have a similar problem, my pc when I turn it on it goes so far through the start up process the just turns it self off.. I go try to turn it on again and it just dosn't turn on, but if I leave it a while it turns on then dose the same again and turn off.
Thanks

Your psu would be a good place to start looking. It sounds like your system could be drawing more power than your psu can handle. You might try running the system with say 1 optical drive, or as few devices as possible to see if the system still shuts down. The 2nd place to look would be heat, but it seems your system is shutting down far too early for any significant amount of heat to build up.

Shipoftheline
21-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I agree with little pod its either the mobo or cpu

jdb
21-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks

At what stage does it die?
What OS?

Can interupt the boot and bring it up in safe mode,

If you can and it comes up in safe mode it is a SW issue

Cheers

JD

watto_uk
21-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree with little pod its either the mobo or cpu

I agree. Most likely to be the mother board. CPU death is rare, unless there has been serious overheating. A good way of checking the CPU, is to take off the heat sink and fan, and see if the CPU is blackened at all.

hyndey
21-10-2006, 10:39 PM
try un pluging every thing from mb accept gfx and keybored see if it powers on then

phasee
21-10-2006, 11:44 PM
if the computer seems as if it is going to boot, ie, the fans twitch very slightly, the it could be the motherboard most likely.

Satch
22-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi All,

Would like to Thank all that have replied to my question.

It's hard to say where the problem lies as no spare mobo or cpu to test, still trying to find a mobo (Not made anymore) LoL

Will let you know if I have any luck getting one.

JP24/7
22-10-2006, 12:31 PM
At what stage does it die?
What OS?
Can interupt the boot and bring it up in safe mode,
If you can and it comes up in safe mode it is a SW issue
Cheers
JD

it ies at diffrent points some times it gets as far as user log in the dies thats the furthes it's ever got.

I have'nt looked at it yet but am going to do it today. thanks for your help

jdb
23-10-2006, 09:15 AM
it ies at diffrent points some times it gets as far as user log in the dies thats the furthes it's ever got.
I have'nt looked at it yet but am going to do it today. thanks for your help

You can interrupt windows boot by pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. (I think, depends on OS)
From the Windows boot menu you can choose safe mode etc,

Cheers

JD

JP24/7
26-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Just to say i got it working, feel a bit stupid, i had to replace the mother board and also i had over heated.

thanks for everyones help, and also to my flat mate who actually spoted the problem lol.

Satch
26-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Just to say i got it working, feel a bit stupid, i had to replace the mother board and also i had over heated.

thanks for everyones help, and also to my flat mate who actually spoted the problem lol.

HiYa,

Glad you got to the bottom of your problem M8.
Thanx for letting us know.

jay
27-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi All,
Would like to Thank all that have replied to my question.
It's hard to say where the problem lies as no spare mobo or cpu to test, still trying to find a mobo (Not made anymore) LoL
Will let you know if I have any luck getting one.

Hi Satch
Are you getting any bios beeps?
Try clearing the cmos

Hope this helps

[phasee:
if the computer seems as if it is going to boot, ie, the fans twitch very slightly, the it could be the motherboard most likely.]

FYI This could also mean no dc current from the psu

Satch
27-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi Jay,

Thanx for the reply, as far as I can tell no fans glitching defo no beeps.
Only sign I can find of power going to the board is the nvidia chip getting really Hot (nforce 2 mcp fb5041.1 0318a4).

Need to get a board to try it (But as it's not mine I don't want to spend a fortune on it) Plus they don't make this board anymore LoL

mastatimrulez
29-10-2006, 05:52 PM
seems like the mb has fried, just get a new budget one, there are so many out there that are as cheap as chips now

Diablo13
29-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Best place to look is ebay. There are business traders on there that will have a new board which is no longer made which they will have got from a stock clearance probably. Even people in the trade can get defunct boards which are no longer readily available from their regular trade suppliers.

BulletMag
29-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Common problem on emachines it will be both the psu and mobo that has gone my friend.

PSU made by a company called BESTEK (pile of poo) when it goes it can take everything connected by usb with it too..

first check the USB ports for damage as if the pins are touching this can prevent it booting.

the mobo's wer made by a company called TRIGEM and they went out of buisness early this year.

Ill try and find out what boards we are using as alternates in these machines and update you tomorrow.

mastatimrulez
29-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Best place to look is ebay. There are business traders on there that will have a new board which is no longer made which they will have got from a stock clearance probably. Even people in the trade can get defunct boards which are no longer readily available from their regular trade suppliers.

generally tends to make sense to upgrade though, especially with how cheap gear is now....

Diablo13
29-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Have to agree with mastatimrulez, not really any point in getting the same obsolete hardware if yours has gone down unless for some reason you actually have to. Case in point being some of the Dell and emachines where they use non standard cases and psu's, or desktop pc's. If you have to spend money on a machine you might as well try to upgrade it at the same time for something more current. Especially as there will probably be very little difference in price. Unless you can do it yourself it often makes more financial sense to get a new or higher spec second user machine than blow good money on an old obsolete one which will be slower and not have all the functions of a modern machine. Even if you only use it for posting on WOD your response times will be quicker and prices of major components have fallen dramatically in recent months.

jakebt123
28-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Thanks

yes mobo or cpu , i had a few probs like that caused by a corrupt video driver causing shutdown as the system loaded the driver have you tried starting in safe mode ?in safemode a basic generic vga driver is loaded