PDA

View Full Version : cannot use most of my programs

astro
14-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi guyz

Does anyone know any possible reason why I cannot access any of my programs. I am running XP Pro, when I boot up zone alarm for instance does not start up even though is's supposed to and when I do it manually it comes on but there is no writing in the box.

When I click on a program the following message comes up:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022).Click OK to terminate the application.

I'm sure you guyz can appreciate the fustration. Any ideas?

regards astro

y2krog2000
14-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Zone alarm could be the problem, try uninstalling it or just change some settings.

mcfisco
14-10-2006, 09:59 AM
This sort of error can often be caused by a permissions issue.

First off - make sure you do a full virus scan using a good, upto date scanner
Then log on as 'Administrator' & see if that helps things.

Hitman
14-10-2006, 10:33 AM
First thing you should try is starting your pc in safe mode and see if that works....usually F8 during startup i think.

astro
14-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi guyz thanks to all for your replies.

I have ran an up to date Spyware Doctor which is the only one of my programs that actually works but apart from a few cookies it hasn't found anything.

I am unable to uninstall zone alarm and everything has been blanked out and therefore I cannot change any settings.

I cannot uninstall winzip and if I try to use it I get the following message: Winzip32 damaged please reload from distribution disk.
I have tried in safe mode but it makes no diffrance

This is a real nightmare, .......any more suggestions?

regards

y2krog2000
14-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Restore your pc to an earlier date using system restore in control panel.

astro
14-10-2006, 07:09 PM
I have tried different restore times and it has made no difference

astro
14-10-2006, 07:10 PM
I have since tried a repair install and still no joy.

I am really struggling with this one

mcfisco
14-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Instead of following the prompts to repair the installation just hit 'Enter' rather than 'R' - it will re-install without losing any of your files or programs.

follow the instructions here h**p://To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. do a backup first though - just in case

astro
14-10-2006, 08:42 PM
that's the one I did

Broka
14-10-2006, 10:17 PM
This problem is a very vague one; there's not a lot of info/support on it, I should know....I suffered from it a while back, ended up formatting my hard drive. Hope you have better luck with it.....

ando
16-10-2006, 10:21 PM
backup everything then format drive an reinstall windows seems ur registry is goosed prob viral

dharock
19-10-2006, 04:52 PM
just read this about this type of problem
The permissions aren't setup properly on MSVBVM60.DLL in your Windows System32 folder. Seems as though this problem surfaces if OPSSQL was installed when Microsoft Anti-Spyware software was running.

RESOLUTION :

1. Go to SYSTEM32 folder
2. Locate the MSVBVM60.DLL file and right click on it, and select Properties
3. Go to the Security Tab
4. Click on Add. Type Everyone and hit OK
5. Back at the Permission form, make sure Everyone is assigned Read & Execute permissions
6. Click OK

BulletMag
29-10-2006, 06:32 PM
This could take a while to complete but my best advice is to stop all programs that open when the machine boots up..

in windows click ..

START> RUN

in the box type...

msconfig

this will bring up SYSTEM CONFIGURATION UTILITY, there will be some tabs on the top of this window select the one on the right marked STARTUP.

you will see a list of programs with green ticks next to them also under this you will see a button marked DISABLE ALL (or something similar) click this and all the ticks will dissappear.

click APPLY then CLOSE the windows will report it need to restart, agree to this and the machine will reboot.

When the machine comes back on you will get a message regarding "you have chosen a selective startup..." just tick "do not show this message" and click ok.

test your programs and if they work then indeed it's something in your startup thats causing the problem.....

you can then begin the arduious task of enabling individual programs in MSCONFIG to see whats effecting it..

failing that just click ENABLE ALL in MSCONFIG to get back to how you were originally..

A windows repair will only reset the underlying windows files therefore if this hasnt cured the problem it sounds like a specific program is causing the problem.

the above solution should help to determine that.

hope it helps..

*edit*

heres a link for you to check what the files in your startup list does...

Sysinfo.org (http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php)

jmce
03-11-2006, 01:01 AM
There is another option that no one has mentioned that stops just short of a blank and reinstall.

If you boot up your XP CD and tell it to perform an "upgrade", you may be able to repair your XP installation without destroying your preferences and data. Although success is not guaranteed, it may be worth the effort in terms of time saved on a full re-install.

Another tip I'l like to throw in is "slipstreaming". Your machine has probably had a service pack and a multitude of hotfixes applied since you originally installed from CD. All of these hotfixes + service pack can me merged onto a new "slipstreamed" CD that you can use the carry out the upgrade/repair.

I've used Nlite for this before. The new version can even integrate IE7 onto the XP CD. This too should improve your chances of a successful "upgrade".

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - About (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
J

Declan
04-11-2006, 12:02 AM
save what ever files you may need and do a clean install then copy all files over