PDA

View Full Version : Complete newbie questions

alangrw74
13-10-2006, 12:14 AM
HI, i have gathered (through various posts on this excellent site) that a technomate 1500i and a diablo cam are a pretty safe bet to get me started on my new adventure in "how to watch premiership games on saturday afternoons at home". I just have a couple of questions at this very early stage. 1. Does anyone know of a ligit web site where i can purchase a 12 month art card from (i'm a little weary of ebay you see)
2. I have a sky dish that's attached to my house that is not in use because i have a telewest contract. Would that dish be ok to use or do i need a specific dish?
3. Does anyone know of the legallities of owning such a setup and watching these games at home?
4. Is the art card the best one to watch the premiership games with?

Finally... A friend of mine has a pub and is interested in such a setup should i become experienced in this field. Again, is it legal for a public house to broadcast these matches?

Any help with any of the above would be much appreciated. Hope it's ok to get all theses questions in on one post (don't want to break any rules)

Thanks in advance

Alan

mcfisco
13-10-2006, 10:22 AM
HI, i have gathered (through various posts on this excellent site) that a technomate 1500i and a diablo cam are a pretty safe bet to get me started on my new adventure in "how to watch premiership games on saturday afternoons at home". I just have a couple of questions at this very early stage. 1. Does anyone know of a ligit web site where i can purchase a 12 month art card from (i'm a little weary of ebay you see)
2. I have a sky dish that's attached to my house that is not in use because i have a telewest contract. Would that dish be ok to use or do i need a specific dish?
3. Does anyone know of the legallities of owning such a setup and watching these games at home?
4. Is the art card the best one to watch the premiership games with?
Finally... A friend of mine has a pub and is interested in such a setup should i become experienced in this field. Again, is it legal for a public house to broadcast these matches?
Any help with any of the above would be much appreciated. Hope it's ok to get all theses questions in on one post (don't want to break any rules)
Thanks in advance
Alan

1. The TM 1500Ci Super is a fine choice - you shouldn't need a separate CAM - try a google search for Alsat

2. You'll need a dish pointing at 13E - size will depend on where you are but a good 60cm will usually do.

3. AFAIK - it's still a grey area

4. ART is a good choice, there's also Digitalb but they have been f**king people around lately & you'll need a bigger dish on 16E - again still a bit of a grey area for pubs, AFAIK S*y have not managed a successful prosecution yet

alangrw74
13-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info m8. Regarding the dish - is it only size that matters and not the make, could you recommend a good 90cm dish? Also, i just bought the technomate 1500i super (it's on it's way) i'm going to purchase an art card, is there anythig else i need to complete my setup? An lnb, card programmer and motor maybe?
Thanks again

mcfisco
13-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Any 90cm dish should be fine
Gilbertini are probably recognised as the best performing small offset dish around , TBH though you really won't need the extra performance - something like a Triax would be perfect.
You may want to think about getting a monoblock LNB - that way you can get 13E & 19E [or any other 2 sats that are 6 degrees apart] on the same fixed dish.

alangrw74
13-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks m8, this site and users are brilliant! :) So... receiver, dish, lnb, art card and i'm good to go? Where does the cas 3 programmer come into it, do i need one of those?
Kind regards
Alan

mcfisco
13-10-2006, 11:33 AM
You won't need a programmer for an ART card

Dish, LNB, RX + Card - job done :)

alangrw74
13-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Fantastic, then there's setting it up ofcourse (whole new post for that one! :)
mcfisco, is it possible to email you at all regarding this matter?

Thanks again

mcfisco
13-10-2006, 11:52 AM
No problem - PM me

alangrw74
13-10-2006, 12:38 PM
My post count is 12 with this, until i reach 15 i can't pm. When i reach it i'll send you a pm, thanks again for all your help! :)

mcfisco
13-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I've PM'd you

alangrw74
13-10-2006, 01:06 PM
thanks m8, just sent you an email

tomk
24-10-2006, 07:47 PM
if your going to put a new dish up there are more than one sat up there y not go for a motor system

alex
04-11-2006, 09:18 PM
excellent site and users are brilliant thanks m8.:thumbup2: :thumbup2: :thumbup2: