PDA

View Full Version : Tiling not a problem.

tinkertiler
08-10-2006, 08:26 PM
If you need any help with any aspect of ceramic tiling wall or floor then ask me and i will help all that i can as that is my job and ive been doing it for 8 years now!

RosIrl
14-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks, am having problem with grout comming up between floor tiles in tiled shower. It keeps breaking up and don't know what to do. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Have done a lot of DIY from plumbing, electrics, carpentry to in house automation so if I can be of help in return please let me know.

14-02-2007, 06:17 PM
well you should get flexi tile addesive for the floor my suggestion would be dont tile bathrooms over timber floors to me not a good idea but if you like it use flexi add

tinkertiler
15-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Flexi adhesive and grout should ALWAYS be used on a floor with movement i.e. a wooden floor or a room that has underfloor heating in. And yes using a flexi grout or a admix in the grout that should sort the problem out. If this doesnt work then you need to investigate the adhesive that is underneath. In a wet room as you are describing it should be of a high grade and not cheap stuff that you get from the local DIY store.

There is another solution and that is to use epoxy grout but that is the extreme and you have to be very careful how you use it as it is a nightmare to apply and clean off. Seek advice from a retailer before you go down this root as i dont use it unless there is no other option.

Good luck

RosIrl
19-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi Tinkertiler,

Thanks for the fast responce. Am on concrete floors, was using unibond premixed adhesive which was a big mistake. At ?49 a tub it was a waste of money. Got advice from a guy in diy store to add PVA adhesive to grout as he says this would add to both the water proofing and hardwearing of the grout. What do you think.

RosIrl

tinkertiler
20-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Tinkertiler,

Thanks for the fast responce. Am on concrete floors, was using unibond premixed adhesive which was a big mistake. At ?49 a tub it was a waste of money. Got advice from a guy in diy store to add PVA adhesive to grout as he says this would add to both the water proofing and hardwearing of the grout. What do you think.

RosIrl

Well there is some stuff that LOOKS alot like PVA called gt1 admix for added permability to the grout. I would not recommend adding PVA as i have never done that before except to adhesive to add a bit of strength but as for adding it to grout i think that you would be asking for trouble personally.

If you can find the admix stuff that you add to the grout it is good stuff dont get me wrong just make sure that when you are grouting that you clean all the tiles very well as when the grout has set it is a git to clean off! Keep changing the water in a bucket for nice and clean water and get a good sponge and go from corner to corner on the tiles when you are washing it off as then you wont be pulling the grout out of the grout gap.

Hope that this helps and sorry only just got back from work and replied as soon as i could

cactikid
09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
think this thread needs refreshing lol,ok i am thinking of a kitchen overhaul,maybe a bit of diy and plenty of snoozing in between,old presses and lino to be removed i wonder how well it is stuck down,floorboards underneath .i was told i would need ply underneath any special thickness? to which floor tiles unknown size or depth will be chosen.kitchen size about 7 1/2 x 16 small enough.

tinkertiler
10-05-2010, 12:11 AM
If the floor under the lino is solid and not flexing too much then you should be fine without putting plywood down but and this is a big BUT! You will have to use the correct adhesive for the job which is something from BAL called Fastfex Adhesive and then you will need a flex Grout too. Fastflex is horrid stuff to use you can get it in 2 different forms, 1, a single part powder which you just add water to and use or 2 a 2 part form which is the powder and a adative which you mix in with the powder. The main problem with using this stuff is just make sure you get it right because if you dont and you have to take tiles up again you are better off cutting the floor out and starting again! Its evil stuff but it does its job very well. It is the ONLY adhesive i will use on wooden floorboards or ply and i have never in all the years i have been tiling had any call backs off it unlike some other adhesives that people have got and they told me to use. The next problem with it is its not cheap either on retail. It is advised to shop around on the net first to see if you can get a good deal but be warned its not cheap.

cactikid
10-05-2010, 12:16 AM
think i better say now it is going to flex with me either walking on it or with a trolley carrying a load through kitchen to exit into garden.

tinkertiler
10-05-2010, 12:32 AM
If it is flexing badly then you will need around about 12 mm ply and screwed down every 150 mm to be sure. DONT be tepted to nail it down as it will just pop up after time and cause problems. It may be a boring task but it needs to be done correctly to save problem in the future. First job i would do is get the existing flooring up and then have a look at what condition the flooring is in first before making any rash decisions on what needs to go down before the floor is ready for tiling as you dont want to be throwing money away when you dont need too.

cactikid
10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
dont think its flexing but wont know till lino is removed,someone else said screw ply down,no problem need to try my new toy
Dual drill Max (http://www.jmldirect.com/currency/EUR/Dual-Drill-Max-PD7745/)