PDA

View Full Version : Reset Dreambox

pyroneus
07-10-2006, 02:06 PM
I have a DM500-C which will not bring up the menu, no matter how many times I press the menu button. I now need to reinstall the neutrino image on the box but of course cannot get into the network settings, is there any way I can connect to the box?

lionhart99
07-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Sound Like You Have Gone On Factry Setting

pyroneus
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Sound Like You Have Gone On Factry Setting

what do you mean by that? :s

Speedy2206
07-10-2006, 03:20 PM
DreamUP and a null modem cable.

Download DreamUP from here:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Download the factory firmware from here:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Load DreamUP, give it the path to the factory firmware, and hit flash.
You don't need to know the network information.
Null modem cable is 100% required unless you know the IP and can connect to the box.

pyroneus
07-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I had the same problem about a year ago and managed to do it with an ethernet cable some how... I don't have a null modem cable at the mo but looks like i will have to get one, thanks.

Speedy2206
07-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Is it just the main menu that doesnt work?! (ie the rest of the box works fine?). If you have a rough idea of the IP address then you can try to ping it to determine its IP. Once you have its IP you can use FTP to transfer over the original firmware from the DreamMultimedia site (as posted above), and then use telnet to flash the image manually without using the on-screen menu's.

For example, I set up my dreambox with an IP of 192.168.0.6.
I knew that the IP was in the range 192.168.0.X
So I open up a command prompt within windows and type:

ping 192.168.0.1
if I get a response, then its likely that its my IP.
if not, then I carry on trying:

ping 192.168.0.2
ping 192.168.0.3
ping 192.168.0.4
ping 192.168.0.5
until i finally get to: ping 192.168.0.6

I then try to FTP to 192.168.0.6 and discover that it lets me in :) I transfer firmware.img to the /tmp folder and flash the image via telnet.
Obviously this is best done by using a static IP and a crossover cable, as opposed to using a router with DHCP.
If you really must use a router, then make sure all other PCs are turned off to eliminate them from the ping process.

pyroneus
07-10-2006, 04:24 PM
I used a router with DHCP last time, and I am doing the same with a different router this time, when i plug the dreambox in it does not show an extra connection in the router list, it only shows my other pcs on it. Seems I will have to use a null modem cable, thanks.

Speedy2206
07-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I used a router with DHCP last time, and I am doing the same with a different router this time, when i plug the dreambox in it does not show an extra connection in the router list, it only shows my other pcs on it. Seems I will have to use a null modem cable, thanks.

It will only show on the list if the Dreambox was configured to automatically get an address assigned by the routers DHCP server. If you gave the dreambox a static IP then it wont be in the list so you could try the ping method. If it WAS supposed to be automatically assigned and isnt in the list anymore; then chances are the filesystem has become corrupt - in this case, a null modem cable is 100% essential.