PDA

View Full Version : Hack-proof DVD drive for Xbox 360 arrives

Shipoftheline
06-10-2006, 09:38 AM
FOR SOME TIME NOW naughty owners of the Xbox 360 have been able to flash the system's DVD-drive firmware with manipulated code that allowed the successful loading of copied 360 games.

For nearly every drive type and drive firmware Microsoft used in the new Xbox, hackers have been able to defeat the security mechanisms and patch the drives to allow for 'backup' disks to be used. A with the manufacturing of the original Xbox, Microsoft sources several different drives from different manufacturers (including Toshiba/Samsung and Hitachi/LG), but this hasn't stopped the availability of firmware hacks for nearly every drive (although the Philips model still seems to be a fairly safe).

A plethora of professionally-made (and marketed) accessories to ease the hacking of the console has also been made available for sometime.

Now hackers and system owners are reporting of a new drive, sourced from Hitachi with the model number GDR-3120L and v0078FK version tag, that makes it much harder for the console to be hacked.

Owners on the forums of the infamous Xbox hacking site 'Xbox-Scene' are noting various changes and problems:

# Black hard glue/resin has been added covering all the chip pins and the controller pins - picture here
# Removing the flash chip to externally be read will destroy the drive due to the new black resin
# Wiring in a patching-on-the-fly mod would be very hard, again due to the resin
# The firmware dump program used for all the other drives, 'memdump', no longer works, so a totally new program re-write is needed to dump the firmware for inspection/hacking
# Chip type has been changed to a 39VF020, so new flashing (previously 'flashsec') program needed
# External debug triggering into 'ModeB' has been removed which is used for re-writing the firmware

Originally, it seems these drives were appearing in Australasian territories, but others have spotted the same drive model and version in the UK - so expect them worldwide very soon.

Although constant rumours are rife about an Xbox 360 mod chip having been completed and in production, nothing is yet available that uses anything other than the DVD-drive firmware rewrite. There is, of course, a possibility that the glue/resin can be successfully removed, and the firmware tampered with again, but this will require some feat to be repeated successfully every time.

For now the DVD firmware hack problem seems to have been largely solved by Microsoft, and it will be interesting to see how long the console can live on without further penetration..............

hakz
06-10-2006, 08:44 PM
I hope I don't get that version

tinkertiler
06-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Yes Microsoft are trying to combat the firmware hack, and yes this drive cannot be done. . . . . . . . YET!

I cant see how this will stop the hackers altogeter its just not going to happen all that it will do is slow them down. Im just glad that i have the older one and that has been flashed so i dont have a problem! :)

violentj
06-11-2006, 11:01 AM
this drive can be done-just not the conventional way

it needs the sst chip removing reprogramming and reataching

g3o
06-11-2006, 11:52 AM
this drive can be done-just not the conventional way
it needs the sst chip removing reprogramming and reataching
Exactly, it's possible just a little harder, there's even a video on youtube showing how easy it is to remove the epoxy and chip..

Fraudster
18-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Flashed 2 of these now - and they are a real pain in the ass..

they work well tho once flashed...

I'll be happy if i never see another in my life

also had a few v59's that just wouldnt go into modeb lately

Inertia
20-11-2006, 08:51 PM
care to share how you flashed them please ?

Fraudster
22-11-2006, 12:24 AM
used a hot air gun on the black clue... headed up to 150ish... then used a scalpel to pick it off (see you tube) for a tutorial...

then i lifted the chip (tsop) and flashed it in a willem programmer with the firmware and re-solderd it back in... jobs a good un...

this iwasnt easy tho and isnt something i'd like to do again, not for the feint of heart at all.

boabness
22-11-2006, 01:23 AM
u will get better at it m8 lol :appl:

mickeyb01
22-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Can you use these online after being hacked?

mike1212
29-11-2006, 12:33 AM
mickeyb01 atm i think you can but it wil be a matter of time before they ban you just like they did on xbox live wiv the 1st generations

thade69
08-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Yes mate been using mine online for a few months now no problems

tinkertiler
12-12-2006, 10:45 PM

did you use the TSOP chip that you removed or did you get a new chip and reprogram that one as me and my mate have tried 2 now and we cant get the old chip to go again after the firmware has been flashed on it again. ?

tinkertiler
18-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Well it has now been released Maximus toolbox 3.0 which may not seem like much but it means loads if you have the 0078 drive as you can now flash the firmware on it from windows!!! No more removing the chip and black goo as it can all be done from windows when you have used the Slax 2 disc.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. that is all the info that there is with the release. My mate has just done a 0078 drive went like a dream no problems which is cool!!!

Maximus 360 Firmware Toolbox v3.0 - Flash HLG v78! - Scenyx Entertainment Community (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=571755) this is the link to the forum on xbox-scene which will have all the help that you will need to do the flash. Hope that this helps someone out there

jot027
26-01-2007, 09:39 PM
like everything else man made it can be reverse engineered and then rebuilt

then the ball is back in microsofts court

simon32
16-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Can you use these online after being hacked?

Yes you can depending on a few things!

A) Your xbox360 firmware must include stealth
B) The games you use must be stealth versions

otherwise its a different story!

good site for info is

xbox360-hacks.com

regards
simon

TheThingIs
08-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Yes you can depending on a few things!
A) Your xbox360 firmware must include stealth
B) The games you use must be stealth versions
otherwise its a different story!
good site for info is
xbox360-hacks.com
regards
simon
actually that's not quite true...the fw does not have to include stealth and neither do the games, any version whatsoever will work on live with no problems. The stealth part is "supposed" to stop m$ from detecting either the fw hack or the copied game. But as no-one has ever been banned as yet then we don't even know if the stealth is actually working or not...time will tell. It's advisable to use the stealth options but it isn't absolutely necessary.

wozzo
13-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Eventually they will find out a bypass!!