PDA

View Full Version : lighting in batroom

notanotherone
05-10-2006, 01:04 PM
hi guys bought some nice down lighters for the bathroom(didnt get a discount of gazer though forgot to ask )ok question is i have 3 ther at the moment and they work fine but these one have come with transformers how to i wire them all up toghther?and make it simple cause am not very bright :roflmao:or if i get it wrong i will be lol

Hunter
05-10-2006, 01:11 PM
take off the cap fitment and wire that up to the tansformer(thats the thing where the bulb goes hehehe)
hopefully they should be some instructions in conecting the new bulbs
if not get an electrician in
trust me on this if your not sure
there,s still no smell to electric :roflmao:

notanotherone
05-10-2006, 03:40 PM
pretty sure i know what am doing just need a gentle nudge ..oh and hunter if i make a mistake ill make sure am holding your shoulder while am doing it lol

sandy
05-10-2006, 05:01 PM
I am guessing the spots on the ceiling just now work from the mains i.e. no transformer & you want to put up another 3.
That being the case drill 3 holes the appropriate size where you want the new fittings installed.
TURN OFF THE POWER...........pull the existing lights down from the ceiling.
Find the last light in the circuit (The one with 1 set of cables feeding it....The other 2 lights will have 2 sets).
Connect the mains side of the transformer (240V) into the same connections as the cables attached to this light.
Run a wire from the 12w side of the transformer to the first hole you cut, then from that hole to the next etc.
Connect all your low voltage lights (2 sets of wires at the 1st & 2nd lights 1 set at the last).
Push transformer into ceiling then push all lights into position.
Turn on power should all work if your connections are ok.
WARNING your bathroom now has both mains & low voltage lights be careful when you change the lamps (bulbs) in the future, if you mix the lamps up you will see a flash & hear big bang!

notanotherone
05-10-2006, 07:32 PM
sandy i want to replace the 3 spots i have now with new ones but each new one has its own transformer do i wire them in tandem ?

sandy
05-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Now I see

Turn off power

Remove all spotlights & the 3 transformers from the ceiling.

This will leave you with 1 cable in the ceiling...............this goes into the 240v side if the NEW transformer, then take a cable from the 12v side to the 1st light then loop (connect) a cable from 1st light to 2nd light etc.

Hope this is clear enough if not just ask.

Cheers

notanotherone
06-10-2006, 10:20 AM
dont they all have to have a transformer connected? or do i only connect one?

Not_much_cop
06-10-2006, 10:26 AM
dont they all have to have a transformer connected? or do i only connect one?

Hi nao,

It all depends on the pwer rating of the transformer.
If you are running 20 watt bulbs and have 65 watt, or higher transformer, then you can run all 3 off the one transformer, if however the tranformer is 25 watts and running 20 watt bulbs then, no you will need a transformer for each bulb.

I only used 20 watt bulbs as an example but you can get bulbs from about 5 watts through to 50 watts for 12 Volts systems, depending on the amount of light/brightness you want.

Hope this helps.
NMC

sandy
06-10-2006, 07:25 PM
If your spotlights came as a "kit" the transformer supplied should be ok

notanotherone
06-10-2006, 07:48 PM
sandy got 3 lights and 3 transformers do i link them all up or do i just put in one ?

sandy
06-10-2006, 08:45 PM
The lights will work fine if you use all the tranformers (1 for each light)

Check to see if the lights you are removing are the same size 12 volts 50 watts? as your new lights, if this is the case you do not have to renew the transformers but just change over the spotlights saving you a bit of work.....keep the new transformers as spares.

If the lights are a different size change both lights & transformers, you can use the existing wiring following the connections as exist just now.

Any probs get back to me.

notanotherone
07-10-2006, 02:03 PM
akk up and running now...no loud bangs no fizzing away so must have been ok cheers sandy (and nmc even though you didnt answer my second question when i asked you to :roflmao:)