PDA

View Full Version : Freeview box with hard drive

mr.harry
03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Looking to buy a freeview box with built in hard drive and twin tuner .Any recomendations or ones to avoid. Being a typical jock cost is an issue.

Dunc
03-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Try here

Freeview set-top box receivers (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. decent range and reviews

:drunk:

shabba007
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
i didnt realise the choice is so large!!!

mr.harry
04-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Many thanks its an excellant site .Looks like the 80 gig humax for me with a price of ?122.0 i've still got enough left for a few tins :)

Shipoftheline
04-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Is that a twin tuner

mr.harry
05-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Only one tuner so its back to the drawing board and cancel the tins .They do make one but I've still to find it and you can bet it will be a bit more expensive

mr.harry
05-10-2006, 02:26 PM
The twin tuner version Humax PVR-9200T ?185.00

callisto11
05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
The twin tuner version Humax PVR-9200T ?185.00

The Humax 9200 rocks. Best freeview pvr on the market, if you can afford it.

Shipoftheline
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
or for ?149

Sagem PVR62160
Twin tuner 160GB hDD

The Sagem PVR62160 provides access to free to air digital channels and will record up to 80 hours of television on its huge 160GB hard drive. Pause and rewind live TV using the timeslip function for ultimate convenience and plan your recording with the 7 day electronic programme guide. And, thanks to its twin tuners you can watch one programme and record another at the same time.

John Lewis - Sagem PVR62160 Digital TV Recorder (http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Freeview+Boxes/Freeview+Boxes/Freeview+Boxes/98/230334102/Product.aspx)

redbarony
05-10-2006, 08:29 PM
go for the humax 9200,you will not regret it!

i have one and now the patches have come out i would say it is on par with sky+ which i have just ditched

worth paying the extra for it me thinks,its also well supported by humax and the community

think of it this way,if you subscribe to the top package off sly ?43 a month

after 4 months the hummys paid for!

mr.harry
06-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Now for the part closest to any scotsmans heart - the price . Can anyone beat ?185.00

redbarony
06-10-2006, 08:59 AM
h**p://w*w.heathrowsystems.net/acatalog/Terrestrial_Receivers.html

but its 192 delivered

h**p://w*w.cwdigital.co.uk/pvr_9200t.asp?gclid=CMixgqP844cCFQFeEQod6Ujfgw

where i got mine from 188 delivered

have a beak on this site h**p://w*w.hummy.org.uk for support

hope you not like my boss when he took us all out for a pint and started moonwalking at the pub door!
come on scotsman and break the mould!!!

thebighippo
06-10-2006, 09:28 PM
dabs.com quicklinx 3V0NWS

?179.98

+ ?7 delivery

mr.harry
07-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Ordered a Humax PVR-9200T from comet 187.00 delivered. I Ilike the idea of being able to take it back to the local branch if it goes wrong even if its 2 quid more.Thanks to all.
A final word to Redbarony a true scotsman would never do that.i dont mean tying his shoelaces at the pub door thats the norm ,but no self respecting scotsman ever asked anybody out for a drink...... without his fingers crossed behind his back.
Thanks again

niallmoran
14-10-2006, 01:34 PM
the toppy's are the current best of breed i think - have a look at Welcome to Toppy.org.uk (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. for a wee idea of what they can do....basically you can tweak and add to them endlessly and even better you can wirelessly network them to your PC :D

Diablo13
14-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I think you got a good deal there Mr harry. It's a good point you make about being able to take something back locally if it goes wrong. The only trouble then is THEY usually have to send it away for testing or fixing so it's a bit swings and roundabouts. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase anyway as the Humax is very reliable. I've had the 8000 single tuner for ages and it's never let me down. I bought a twin tuner 9200T a couple of weeks ago as a new ex-display model for 120 quid and its an improvement. The twin tuner works really well as you can just record from the epg 2 programms at once. It does'nt have program delivery control (PDC) in case broadcasts overun, but it does have the ability for you to set the timer to start earlier or finish later as you wish so you dont miss the end off a program. You can also playback while you are recording 2 progs at once. Excellent piece of kit.
Incidentally I asked about a replacement remote control for 1 at Comet and they could get 1 for 70 quid in about 2 weeks. I went online and found a uk seller who had them for ?39.99 inc postage, and they delivered in 3 days. Just in case anyone else needs another remote. :thumbup:

niallmoran
14-10-2006, 04:46 PM
don't think any of the freeview recorders have pdc - that's only a videoplus thingy IIRC.

bennybhoy
19-11-2006, 01:34 PM
go for the humax 9200,you will not regret it!
i have one and now the patches have come out i would say it is on par with sky+ which i have just ditched
worth paying the extra for it me thinks,its also well supported by humax and the community
think of it this way,if you subscribe to the top package off sly ?43 a month
after 4 months the hummys paid for!
des anyone know if there is a patch 4 a digihome pvr160 freeview box with hdd

majic
22-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Is the humax really good then? Damn i want one. its also got usb for transferring recordings to your pc right?

i have a goodmans with 80gig drive but its single analog tuner. had it last year for christmas. it was ok but i want to flog it and get a humax now :D

redbarony
22-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Is the humax really good then? Damn i want one. its also got usb for transferring recordings to your pc right?
i have a goodmans with 80gig drive but its single analog tuner. had it last year for christmas. it was ok but i want to flog it and get a humax now :D

i don't think anyone would be disappointed with one,the downside of the usb is its supposed to be buggy and slow,i cant comment as ive never used it but other than that its great.

DessertDog
22-11-2006, 09:58 PM
This may sound a silly question but can you take out a 40gig HD from a freeview PVR and upgrade it to say a 120gig if you wanted to or do they do a special format onthem for the boxes ?

Diablo13
23-11-2006, 03:52 AM
This may sound a silly question but can you take out a 40gig HD from a freeview PVR and upgrade it to say a 120gig if you wanted to or do they do a special format onthem for the boxes ?

Hi DD, Yes you can. I have put a different hdd in Humax freeview box and a Replay box and a Yakumo standalone dvd hdd recorder. I would reccomend a Seagate drive as they seem to be fairly universally reccomended by manufacturers, though others may work as well and it must be ide not Sata. The size used is generally 120gig to 200gig in various boxes so I would say as a precaution, dont use anything bigger than a 200gig drive. When you first install and switch the machine on it will either format the drive automatically or in any case you should format it in the machine yourself before use to ensure compatability, even with a brand new drive.
I hope you find this helpful.

rotti1967
24-11-2006, 10:05 AM
i see aldi are doing a 160 gb twin tuner pvr for ?99 i got the 80 gb one but for some reason it didnt record all i got was a msg on the screen saying record blocking signals being detected and i still dont know the cause of that.

Diablo13
25-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Hi rotti 1967. Take it straight back if you just got it recently. Aldi are a firm getting most of their stuff from Germany and continental europe. Items for the uk market have different voltages and working frequencies so maybe you got a continental 1 by mistake? was it a uk plug on it, or a 2pin continental 1? If it has a uk plug then it should be uk spec. I would try to retune/rescan it on uk frequencies? Better if you can just take it back though and avoid the headache.

Genbo
11-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I can recommend the Humax PVR 9200T.
Had one for almost a year now, and watching TV is much better with instant access to recorded programs and all the features that the Humax has.
Chase play is good, the box also has twin tuners allowing you to record 2 channels and watch a third.
This forum Humax - Digital Spy Forums (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. has some good tips.

tomboy1
13-01-2007, 11:55 AM
what does it matter about this twin tuner thing dont understand this ?

Shipoftheline
13-01-2007, 12:11 PM
what does it matter about this twin tuner thing dont understand this ?

Record one channel while watching the other but decent ones will also allow you to record two channels at the same time. Also allows for picture in picture

redbarony
13-01-2007, 07:45 PM
humax 9200,its the way forward

two channels and watch the third as long as its from the same broadcaster

DessertDog
14-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Still not made up my mind on one of these yet can you record via scart cable tv or do they only record via the digi signal from airial.
Cheers for any help

niallmoran
14-01-2007, 05:47 PM
don't think many will let you record from an external input....

Diablo13
14-01-2007, 06:29 PM
@ DesertDog.
Its a completely standalone recorder so it needs an aerial input. It will not work on cable. I have not actually tried to record by scart, but I dont think it will work because I think that both scarts are designed as outputs. Why this should be I am not sure because it seems a little pointles.The best idea is for you to go to Hummy.org (see the link I posted earlier in this thread) to get more accurate information. I dont know if the aerial thing will be a problem for you, but I still think they are the best freeview recorders on the market. I am not alone in this opinion and they have quite a fanbase, not least because of the support given. The Hummy .org site is similar to WOD in that it supports the humax as we support the D Box on here. It is endorsed by the Humax manufacturer and the feedback given on that forum is actually listened to and taken onboard for future firmware upgrades, which as far as I am aware, no other manufacturer does.
There is 1 other freeview recorder which is supposed to be on the same lines and that is the Topfield. This costs about %u00A350 more than the Humax, but does not have its level of support.
As you might have noticed I give unprecedented support for this recorder, something I have never done for any product, including sliced bread, because I have 2 of them and have never had any problems with either one since I got the first 1 about a year ago second hand.
Whoops the link was not in this thread, so here it is again; Welcome to Hummy.org.uk the home of the Humax PVR9200T (http://www.hummy.org.uk)

Shipoftheline
15-01-2007, 08:51 AM
"It will not work on cable."

Thats the bit that annoys the hell out of me would it have killed them to allow one of the scarts to record outside input like sky/cable :(

Diablo13
15-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I have to agree with Shipoftheline on this. It is designed as a standalone FREEVIEW recorder only and not as a fully fledged pvr. It does what it is designed to do very well, but it is not designed to record from external sources. I suspect that if it did it might interfere with the twin tuners it already has.
Incidentally another basic flaw to me is that although you can change the harddrive to a bigger 1 you cannot copy recorded programs from the original drive to a backup drive and then transfer them back to the new Humax drive and play them. This to me is a big mistake but I understand it is something that is to be looked into in a future firmware update.
A further development for the good of ALL freeview boxes is that the licensing authorities are looking into adding a PDC or programmm delivery control to the freeview system. I understand that Humax have already developed the software update for this and will release it as soon as they get the go ahead from the licensing authorities and freeview broadcasters to implement it.

Shipoftheline
15-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I did see machines in Currys that could record NTL:Sky which also record DVD's. Those also include freeview but your looking at a minimum 245 and that version only has a 40gb HDD

PIONEER DVR440HXS DVD Recorder

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Built in Digital Tuner
# 227hrs recording onto Hard Drive
# 24hrs recording to disc (DVD-RAM)
# Electronic TV Guide for simple recording
# Timeslip on HDD
# Pal Progressive
# Zoom
# Remote Control

Diablo13
16-01-2007, 06:35 AM
I've got a Yakumo dvd +hardisk recorder with a tuner which I bought new off ebay from Germany. It cost me ?200 +postage a few months ago and it came with a 200gb hdd. Its got its own tuner and it works strangely because it will receive some cable channels including sky 1, with no other receiver attached, but not the freeview channels. It will work off a scart from the Replay box to record all the other channels though, to either dvd or hdd and can transfer a recorded programm between the 2 types of media and allow you to edit programmes to a degree as well. It also has all the other features of the Currys 1 as well, including timeslip and epg and pdc programable recording as well.

JonB2
16-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi,
http://productimages.sony-europe.com/RDR-HXD910_HEADON_im.gif

I've got the Sony RDR-HXD710, awesome piece of kit!

Sony : RDR-HXD710 (RDRHXD710) : United Kingdom (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 3 aux inputs, DVD recorder, you get what you pay for!!

One on fleebat ATM

eBay.co.uk: Sony RDR-HXB710 HDD / DVD recorder / PVR (item 200067205724 end time 17-Jan-07 12:32:31 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-RDR-HXB710-HDD-DVD-recorder-PVR_W0QQitemZ200067205724QQihZ010)

Jon

DanMB
16-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I'd recomment a 120+ HDD i had one of these they are usefull with the twin tuners. I sold it not so long back i cant remember the model but it cost me ?60 for a 120Gb HDD twin Freeview box.