PDA

View Full Version : Gas Versus Electric Heating Boiler

Dunc
02-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I am Toally p****** off with British Gas
Now I have that off my chest I am looking for advice on the merits of electric boilers as opposed to the gas one the b******* have condemed due to a flue problem
Anyone got the technical knowledge to help.

:please:

Shipoftheline
02-10-2006, 10:48 PM
I used halogen last year and saved a fortune nuff said

lfckev
03-10-2006, 01:53 AM
i dont no much about electric boilers but they will need to have a high kw rating.this means you will pay alot for electricity i would recommend a combi
as long as you get a good boiler and change your supplier on uswitch you should be ok

sandy
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
If you go electric you need an off peak electricity supply, meaning you will get 2 standing charges on your electricity bill.

Its more expensive (even on off peak) to heat an electric boiler.

Electric wet central heating is quite new to the market you wont find many firms/electricians keen to maintain it. When you find someone costs will reflect this.

Electric storage heating is expensive to install (heaters average ?175 each) plus wiring costs.

I would only suggest electric heating if no gas in property ie high rise buildings.

Stick to gas its cheaper and easier to control.

y2krog2000
07-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Has to be a combi, I save a few quid in the summer when I dont need the heating on I can still get all the hot water I want without having to have a big water tank heat up and its instant.

Dunc
07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Thinking combi but told from next year has to be condensing one think I prefer ordinary combination......less to go wrong any thoughts peeps????????

:drunk:

stickywicket
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Boilers | Features explained (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Boilers and heating systems %u2013 all you need to know on uSwitch.com (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. a good read in here should get a picture in your head, after that its personal choice. IMO i love the combi and with gas prices plummeting we SHOULD see the benifits soon. wouldnt even consider electric as an option way too expensive long term.

lfckev
23-10-2006, 03:29 AM
condensing boilers have come along way in the last 2 years i was a bit wary of them but now i find them just as good as combis and cheaper to run
i install service and fault find on all boilers and i would now recommend anybody to by a condensing boiler

Lainie
23-10-2006, 08:16 AM
totally agree with sticky wouldnt consider electric, i also have a gas power shower and they are fantastic way way better than electric ones

=P~

jdb
23-10-2006, 11:55 AM
You could also look at Wood Pellets, made from compressed sawdust.
Not sure on price or if can integrate with your current heating but
Wood pellets supposed to be clean, and a high energy fuel. they have fully automated systems with low emissions and <0.05% ash content, wood pellets are becoming increasingly popular as homeowners choose to replace the combustion of fossil fuels with sustainable and cost effective alternatives.

Seemly bigger in Europe than the UK & Ireland, It could be an option with high cost of fossil fuels and more environmentally friendly

Cheers

JD

jackiemac
23-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Heres a very helpfull site :

TYPES OF CENTRAL HEATING BOILERS (http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/types_of_central_heating_boilers.htm)

andywebmail
18-11-2006, 01:19 PM
British Gas condemning your boiler may have saved your life or health, It must have failed the tests for noxious fumes. The recent tragedy with the family deaths on holiday show how dangerous incorrectly fitted or malfunctioning boilers can be. I would recommend a modern combination condensing boiler as a replacement, you would recoup your outlay in a few years with reduced heating costs as the new type are far more efficient. Also British Gas have a "WINTER SALE" on on boiler installation at the moment.

rom10
07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
it is what ever you want one is as good as the other i have two if gas goes off then you have a backup
if you change to combie you will miss old boiler other than that combi gives you instant hot water.
but remember i still have the two i work for sgas