PDA

View Full Version : Cost of building a wall

kvp
28-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi to all you diyers out there.

I am in the throws of getting some quotes from builders to build a dwarf wall 600 mm high in commons for a conservatory approx internal measurements of 16ft x 12ft.

I would be interested to know if someone and tell me what would be a reasonable price for building the wall along 2 lengths i.e. entire linear length of the wall would be 28ft by 600mm high.

I hope I have been clear with the question - will clarify as needed.

Thanks for looking.

Hitman
28-09-2006, 09:54 PM
What about foundations?

Do you want the materials supplied?

kvp
28-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry hitman I had to pop out.

IO would be interested in knowing how much the whole thing would cost with materials and then just a rough price for how much to build the wall if foundation already in place.

The foundation will be insulated as will the walls with something like isowool.

sandy
29-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi

I built a conservatory last year (5x4) slightly bigger than yours one side has a full height wall.

Material costs

Concrete for foundations of wall ?250
Facing bricks & concrete blocks ?400

If you are putting in a concrete floor

Hardcore (under the floor) ?60
Concrete ?250

I dont have a cost for labour as I exchanged "jobs" with the builder (I am an electrician) I know it took him 40 hours approx.

A very rough guess ?15 per hour x 40 = ?600

Total for wall ?1250

Hope this helps

boabness
29-09-2006, 08:54 PM
feck the wall @ that price lol do it yar sell m8 slap some bricks the geter:wink:

grant
29-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Have a look at a tool called "The bricky"

brickytool (http://www.bricky.com/?gclid=CPWNoP3l04cCFShyQwod616QTQ)

sandy
30-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Like I said I didnt pay for labour so its a guess

Material costs are spot on (incl delivery)

I didn't think bricks were so expensive it soon mounts up.

sandy
30-09-2006, 08:56 AM
its not as easy as "the bricky" tool would have you think.

Hitman
01-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I would say the price sandy quoted was maybe a little cheap if anything although you can always help to ruin this country by hiring a polish builder who will work for approxemately half the price.

Dont expect them to go throught the proper channels as far as building control are concerned.

As for that brikkie tool...if i had to build it with that pile o ****e id want about 3 grand from you!!

Also was the wall to be single or double thickness??
This would also make a huge difference on price.

One point to remember as with most things in life.....you only get what you pay for (Hopefully)

And also buy cheap buy twice!

sandy
01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I would be interested KVP to find out your estimates.

Cheers

Hitman
01-10-2006, 11:26 PM
you could always build it out of timber studs with exterior ply.

Just apply pva to the ply then EML (expanded metal lathing) it and render!!

Paint in a colour of your choise and vola!!!

Note though that you will have to use bricks upto the damp corse which should be at least 6" above ground level.

As for foundations you could make a pad foundation ... ie 8 " thick with steel reinforcment ....this would save a lot of digging.....you need to ensure that the pad in complatly square and your dimensions are correct.

As for the interior of the wall either use ply lining paper and paint or plasterboard and plaster and paint.

Insulation between the studs is a must.

Sounds like a lot of work but you could maybe do it yourself that way.

Another alternative would be blocks and render as blocks are much easier and faster to lay.

Bet you feel tired now lol