PDA

View Full Version : Symantec lashes out at Firefox

Shipoftheline
22-09-2006, 09:04 AM
SECURITY OUTFIT Symantec has unleashed a stinging attack on the Open Sauce browser Firefox.
According to CNet, Symantec claims that Firebadger is more insecure than its rival Internet Explorer. It claims that the only reason it gets away with this is that hackers have more fun upsetting IE users, who are a bit more common.

This will be news to Fireferret users who have been told by the Mozzarella Foundation that the browser is more secure than IE. In fact the popularity of the browser has soared on that basis.

Symantec's Internet Security Threat Report says that 25 vendor-confirmed vulnerabilities for the Mozzarella browsers during the first half of 2005 were the highest of any browser studied. Eighteen of these flaws were classified as high severity.

Internet Exploder had only 13 vendor-confirmed vulnerabilities and eight of which were high severity.

There are some problems with the Symantec figures. The first is that it only reports flaws that have been confirmed by the vendor. Vole does not have to do this, and there is also a backlog of some 19 that Microsoft has to fix in comparison to only three for Firepossum.

Before Open Saucers have a go at Symantec for being pro-Microsoft, we should point out that his is the same outfit who is leaning on the EU to take Vole to the cleaners for anti-trust issues in Vista.

Symantec lashes out at Firefox (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34546)

stickywicket
22-09-2006, 08:52 PM
is this a spoof article or something?

hakz
23-09-2006, 12:44 AM
this must be a joke, whats with the "sauce", "mozarella", "fireferret", "Internet Exploder", "firepossum".

Firefox is a lot more secure than internet explorer. Fewer security threats, vulnerabilities that are discovered are resolved faster than ones that are discovered on Internet Explorer. Plus the extensions are cool, you can download adblock plus + filterset.G, which has a huge list of ads and automatically blocks them on websites (surfing isn't slowed down)

Shipoftheline
23-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Of course its more secure yes lol

hakz
23-09-2006, 12:52 AM
besides, this should be enough reason to switch :D

YouTube - firefox and retarded browsers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzbOoJNC_TU&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b)

Diablo13
23-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Pmsl at Shipoftheline. I would not have thought there could be such a laugh to be had in tradenames. Pretty obvious though that Sycophantic would have a go at Fireferrets fireguard though, they need browsers to be extra secure to cover their ar$es when their products could'nt find a juggernaught in a car park. Dont they make Snorting antivirus, the blindest antivirus troubleshooter since Daredevil? :9:

Shipoftheline
23-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Well it seems Symantec have upset some Firefox fans but hey who knows best. An open source fan club or an antivirus company ? I'm not really arse I hope more people use it because it helps hackers :)

hakz
23-09-2006, 01:21 PM
I reckon open source programs.

Diablo13
23-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Well it seems Symantec have upset some Firefox fans but hey who knows best. An open source fan club or an antivirus company ? I'm not really arse I hope more people use it because it helps hackers :)
I think that depends on your point of view. There are a lot of people in the "fan club" who have experience of both browsers and have chosen not to believe all the guff handed out by microsoft. Not so long ago microsoft made a huge error with their scripting apparently which left the browser wide open to hackers. Obviously non of the browsers are perfect but I have never had a problem with firefox , its faster and has some added useful features. I still have IE on my system as a backup should I need it. We also have to remember that Symantec or whoever is doing the current bashing usually have an ulterior motive for saying anything in order to promote their own business interests. The end user has no crosses to burn he just wants the best he can get based on actual ground level experience. The use of firefox is expanding rapidly so all these users cant be wrong and I think nowadays there is a general backlash against the bloated Microsoft system in general which keeps a largely captive audience.
I am a bit surprised though by your being on the side of the hackers Ship, whichever browser you prefer?

Shipoftheline
23-09-2006, 03:43 PM
I think that depends on your point of view. There are a lot of people in the "fan club" who have experience of both browsers and have chosen not to believe all the guff handed out by microsoft.

This isn't by Microsoft in fact the people before this are suing Microsoft. My personal expreiance is its not all what people make out especially if you work in IT

I am a bit surprised though by your being on the side of the hackers Ship, whichever browser you prefer?

There is more than one type of hacker Diablo13 some may even be helping you without you knowing it ;) (not talking about hacking anyones computer either just to make that clear)

Diablo13
23-09-2006, 04:29 PM
This isn't by Microsoft in fact the people before this are suing Microsoft. My personal expreiance is its not all what people make out especially if you work in IT
There is more than one type of hacker Diablo13 some may even be helping you without you knowing it ;) (not talking about hacking anyones computer either just to make that clear)
I bow to your superior knowledge Ship, lol.
Point taken, I would be lost without some of the hackers myself, I just took your comment the wrong way, sorry.
I can see where your comming from if you work in IT. If you think on the lines of the average user though who just has a home computer and not used for business as such, do you still think there are major problems with Firefox that might not be obvious to us? If you could list any major home application problems you might have come across on here I'm sure a lot of us would be greatful, me for 1, as I am always willing to learn and could then either try to avoid issues or dump Firefox altogether if the security issues were too great. Thanks.

Shipoftheline
26-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Symantec slams Firefox again

SYMANTEC'S LATEST Internet Security Threat Report has damned the Firefox browser for having more security holes than last year.
Symantec said that there were 47 vulnerabilities documented in Mozilla browsers this year in comparison to 17 last year. Microsoft also did badly this year, with 38 holes in its Internet Exploder compared to 25 last year. Apple Safari had 12 holes in comparison to six.

Browser outfits were a lot quicker at fixing bugs. Internet Exploder bugs are fixed within nine days, in comparison to 25 days last year.

Symantec slams Firefox again (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34601)

sarvo_uk
26-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I am with Firefox all the away. Atleast I donot get a lot of IE addons ie; spywares:bomb: :fence:

Shipoftheline
26-09-2006, 01:07 PM
I am with Firefox all the away. Atleast I donot get a lot of IE addons ie; spywares:bomb: :fence:
Neither do I it all comes down to how you protect your computer and as I've always said the more people use firefox the more hackers will pay attention to it

Maccer06
31-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Firefox is way more secure than IE before Firefox I don't know how many times IE got hijacked!Interesting time to release a story to coincide with release of IE7?

Shipoftheline
31-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Firefox is way more secure than IE before Firefox I don't know how many times IE got hijacked!

Well it seems the analysts don't agree with you

Interesting time to release a story to coincide with release of IE7?
Nice try but you need to work on the closing because Symantec are suing Microsoft

Diablo13
31-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Well it seems the analysts don't agree with you

Nice try but you need to work on the closing because Symantec are suing Microsoft

Clever marketting though to use Symantics own report against Firefox. They can then say that Symantics report had pointed out the faults, which Microsoft took very seriously and so had corrected them in IE7. Bit of reverse psychology methinks.