PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft takes the lid off Zune

callisto11
19-09-2006, 10:12 AM
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Microsoft has confirmed that its Zune 'iPod killer' is to hit the shelves in the US by the 'holiday buying season', which means the run up to Thanksgiving Day on 23 November. There is little in the announcement that has not already leaked onto the Internet (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The specifications are now generally known. It is apparently a portable device with a 30GB hard disk, wireless technology, a built-in FM tuner and a 3in screen, and will be available in black, brown and white.
Microsoft, however, is now giving an indication of the business model it intends to use with the Zune - a kind of merging of social networking and iTunes. Connecting Zunes together wirelessly will let consumers share full-length sample tracks of songs (presumably those sanctioned by the record labels), homemade recordings, playlists or pictures.
Listeners get to hear the full track of any song they receive up to three times over three days. Any tune that takes your fancy can then be flagged on the Zune and should be easily available for purchase through the Zune Marketplace.
Tracks can either be bought individually or it is possible to buy a Zune Pass subscription to download unlimited songs for a flat fee. It is not clear yet whether the business model is to allow customers to buy tracks outright, as with iTunes, or to use some kind of rental model, as with Napster and Yahoo! where the music only remains playable during the term of the subscription.
To kick off the service, the Zune will also have trailers and other 'content' preloaded from assorted music labels.

Microsoft has also revealed that it will be releasing three 'accessory packs' to accompany the Zune. The Zune Car Pack includes a car charger, Autoseek for the built-in FM tuner, while the 'Travel Pack' includes Earphones, Zune Dual Connect Remote, a Gear Bag, Zune Sync Cable and the Zune AC Adapter.
Finally, the Zune Home A/V Pack is a set of five cables that allows the customer to hook the device up to TV and music players around the home. The set includes an AV Output Cable, a Zune Dock, a Zune Sync Cable, a Zune AC Adapter and the Zune Wireless Remote for Zune Dock.
No prices for the Zune, the songs on Zune Marketplace or the accessory packs have yet been announced.

satzzz
30-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Sounds VERY intersting

weem
12-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Read on the BBC a while back that they are apparently going to price it at $250 (?130 ish) at launch.

Seems like a bargain to me - 30Gb of storage for that price. Hopefully the uk price will be as competitive, if it is i'll be getting one.

Just dug up the BBC story here:

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft announces Zune pricing (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5391226.stm)

nicx112
13-10-2006, 02:00 PM
that looks like a decent bit of kit... and if the uk price is around ?130 its a bargain :)

Velocity
14-10-2006, 03:28 PM
We will have to wait and see what kind of impact it makes though, I think it has arrived slightly too late

weem
14-10-2006, 04:58 PM
You're right i can't see it making inroads to the ipod either at this late stage, i can't image kids asking their parents to get them one.

But perhaps as a part of microsofts plan for world domination it will find its niche ?

Broka
15-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I think i'll stick to my ipod, ta' very much...though competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

Dunno bout world domination though, they're having a tough time simply conquering Japan with the X360.

Diablo13
30-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I think its a stupid name for a start. Go to buy 1 in Boots and you will probably get given throat lozenges! :sad:
I got a flyer today from vodaphone advertising their new service which seems to work on similar lines with download and try music film clips etc with a daily price, or a ?7.50 a month subscription. If you can do all this on a decent phone why would you need to buy this at a silly price and then sell a leg to afford the addon bits? I really cant see the point of this at all when there is already so much technology that will do the same thing cheaper?
I would still rather use Limewire and do what I wanted when I wanted for free. ;)

jkanji72
08-11-2006, 11:10 PM
does any1 know when its commin out in UK? by the way sounds very interesting

alex
12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
m8 uk price is around ?130 its a bargain .:-" :-"