PDA

View Full Version : How do i split backup files to fit disc?

olly
18-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi all,just done a backup of some files,and they are about 1gb in total,but i only have 700mb discs,can anyone point me to the right way of splitting the files,so i can fit them onto 2 cd-rw disc please,if its possible.Thanks in advance.:wink:

Diablo13
18-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi all,just done a backup of some files,and they are about 1gb in total,but i only have 700mb discs,can anyone point me to the right way of splitting the files,so i can fit them onto 2 cd-rw disc please,if its possible.Thanks in advance.:wink:

I suppose it depends on what type of files they are, if they're separate files or all related? Would'nt it be easier to put them all together on 1 DVD RW then you would have lots of room to add to them later?
If you put all the files you want together in 1 folder then you can just highlight half of them at a time and click copy to cd or copy the selected files and choose your cd burner that should do it. If the set of files you have highlighted is too big you should get a warning that they won't fit on the cd, so you can reduce the amount of files in the first batch.
I hope this helps?

mastermac
18-09-2006, 07:25 PM
you could also try using winzip or winrar

olly
18-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Only have a cd burner fitted at the moment,so iguess the way you said would be better,as i want to upgrade my windows to sp2,as still running sp1,and do not want to risk losing files and programs i downloaded.

Mastermac,Tried winzip,did not make it much smaller,unless i did something wrong!

olly
20-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Managed to save the files i wanted to disc,so cheers to all for helping out,again.:9:

Dossermac
20-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Use the advanced settings in Winrar to split the archive you are about to create (100mb sizes) also tick "create recovery files".
That way if any of your archives get damaged you can use Smartpar to recover the lost data from the recovery files!:wink:

Diablo13
21-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Managed to save the files i wanted to disc,so cheers to all for helping out,again.:9:
Glad it worked for you. I am no computer genius and thought this was the simplest way for you without having to get other programs involved. There are many compression tools out I know, but as far as I am aware they all involve first compressing the files and then uncompressing them again. Simple but effective usually works best for me and seeing as you needed to ask, that seemed like the best option.:thumbup2: