PDA

View Full Version : Computer in another room

ghengiskhan
16-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Looking for some assistence, guys:

Buying my daughter a computer for her xmas, i have the internet feed on the computer in the loft room.

Is there any way i can connect her computer to the internet, without asking NTHell.

Cheers.

berley
16-09-2006, 02:33 PM
buy a router and a couple of wireless cards then share the connection

bulldog36
16-09-2006, 06:36 PM
or if you dont want to spend a lot buy a crossover patch lead and just share your current connection,you can get a 15 metre one from b&q for around 15 quid just make sure you have 2 network cards in your com and a network card in the other one.

Declan
16-09-2006, 07:15 PM
well the best option i would say is, get a router and wireless adapter for the pc or a enet cable.

The advantage of the router is you can
*restrict certain sites
*restrict bandwith
*and stop certain programmes from getting on internet like limewire ect

this is very usefull if she is young

bulldog36
17-09-2006, 08:12 AM
i agree but if they dont have a lot of money a decent router is about 60 quid then he will need a wireless card in the other com thats about another 20 quid it was just a cheaper option if all he wants to do is share a connection.you can pick nic cards up from a com show for 6 quid each.

callisto11
18-09-2006, 01:55 PM
As the chap is buying a new computer anyway, then a wireless router and a wireless card are the way to go.
ICS is a poor mans way of sharing the connection. It is not a secure method, as it relies on the crappy Windows Firewall for a start. It also relies on the PC connected to Internet to be switched on all the time.

Getting a decent router with a stateful firewall and security filtering are the way to go. Will save a lot of hassle.

pipehose
19-09-2006, 10:58 AM
ido this with the wireless router on two other computer plus a lap top .it secure gives no bother and you can add quite a feww pcs to it. if need be at a later date. or if it a lappy well you should be able to use it almost anywhere in the house .

Dossermac
20-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I agree, Wireless & a router is the way to do it, Her computer can go in any corner of the house and yours doesn't even have to be switched on.
If you go with a crossover cable the location of your daughters machine is limited by the length of the cable.
Also, get yourself a copy of "Radmin" so you can watch her machine from yours discreetly, or remotely operate it for updates etc.
My computer is in the loft and my daughters is in her bedroom.
Before I found Radmin i was forever climbing up and down the ramsay ladder whenever she shouted for help, That program is a godsend for my muscles!:)