PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem ethernet problem

adie
15-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I am trying to set up wireless router but can't get the Cable modem to work with an ethernet lead. My modem has been working with a usb cable so i thought it would be best to set up the ethernet connection before attempting to connect it to a router.
When i plug the ethernet lead in the led on the modem does not light up. I have used my ethernet connection to connect to other things with no real problem so happy its not the card.
When i run the ntl disk it comes up with the following error whilst installing the modem ethernet:

A faulty or non-functional adapter has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adapters before continuing with installation. If this is a USB NIC that has been removed, please physically plug it back in:

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Click the 'Fix' button to correct this problem.

Error Code :23

I have tried disabling all this on device manager but still no joy.
Does anyone have any idea what to do ?

stickywicket
15-09-2006, 09:00 PM
1. unplug power to cable modem and disconnect usb cable
2. wait 30 seconds and reboot cable modem
3. plug ethernet cable into cable modem and pc.

You should then be browsing on ethernet. If you cannot, make sure that the network card is appearing properly in the device manager. On XP you should also see the network card appearing in the network connections section of the control panel as a "local area connection". If you double click on this and click support, you will see the ip address which should start 80/81/82/213 or 62/3/4

adie
15-09-2006, 09:47 PM
1. unplug power to cable modem and disconnect usb cable
2. wait 30 seconds and reboot cable modem
3. plug ethernet cable into cable modem and pc.
You should then be browsing on ethernet. If you cannot, make sure that the network card is appearing properly in the device manager. On XP you should also see the network card appearing in the network connections section of the control panel as a "local area connection". If you double click on this and click support, you will see the ip address which should start 80/81/82/213 or 62/3/4

Thanks for the reply, still no joy !!
When i plug the ethernet in the led on the modem still doesnt light up and the network connection says "cable unplugged"
Last time I used the ethernet connection was to flash a dbox2 and all worked ok for that ?
I am using the ethernet cable that came with the router and not the one i connect to the dbox.

dx100-uk
15-09-2006, 11:15 PM
remove the usb ntl drive and any other ntl software [bloatware] you do not need it.

go into tcp/ip settings for the ethernet card and set it get auto ip [dchp]

power everything off.
connect it all up.
then power the CM and let it settle, power the pc and log-on as an admin rights user

it should matter not that the lead is crossover or not on most ntl cm's

if it still dont fly
start/run/cmd

ping 192.168.1.1

if that dont work there are plenty of guides on the net

firstly try robin walkers cable modem site
or chetnet site.

asl again if you still get problems.

dx100:41:

mickm
16-09-2006, 09:22 AM
This is one of the reasons I am sticking with my dial up connection. I hear lots of people moaning , my broardband isnt working correctly, my router keeps losing conection.

What do you think

dx100-uk
16-09-2006, 01:10 PM
what do i think?
well thats silly really.
i've worked with them for over 9yrs now and 99% go ok.

just remember you only see msgs from people that require info to get their's going on msgboards!

and i will say this, by fiddling or by accident, most problems are not related to the CM itself being faulty, its config settings or previous installations that have gone wrong or been interupted or played with.

there is no need at all to load any of the ISP software whatsoever, p'haps in the early days the USB driver was needed, but that is all. and really you should not use a CM on USB anyhow.

on the other side of the CM its prob the providers signal that is too weak or some 't*t' local on the same green box has connected upteen tv's/dbox's/vcrs etc etc directly to the cable and is swapming the area with noise.

anyhow nuff said.

for what you are paying for D/U you could get double the speed for less

adie
16-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies, but still no joy with this !!
I have tried all i can find on the net and what you have all suggested. If i plug the ethernet lead to my dbox the cable not connected warning goes out, if i connect it to the cable modem it does not see it and stays as cable not connected !! is it possible there is a problem with the ethernet connection on the modem? or the modem itself (usb connection still works fine)

dx100-uk
16-09-2006, 11:38 PM
ok well just incase you have one of the strange ones.
try using a non crossover cable.

and just as a 2nd test
put you router in line
go CM > WAN port
PC to LAN port

if you set the router to dchp and your pc to get ip auto
does the lead work then? (the non xover one]

adie
17-09-2006, 12:02 AM
OK its a Belkin router. If i connect the pc to the router with non cross over lead the pc sets the router up no probs (Hence i think my ethernet card is ok) but when the router software then tries to connect to the internet it gets no connection. Also as i have mentioned b4 the little led on the modem for ethernet connection never lights up.

Thanks so much for your help and patience so far

dx100-uk
17-09-2006, 12:22 AM
if you are using a non xover lead between the CM<>WAN and the LED is not coming on then it is frucked, you intitial diagnostics were correct.

as one last thing.
did you follow the guide on robins site?

if not do it please
there are know issues with some ntl silver modems on switching between Enet/USB

stickywicket
17-09-2006, 03:25 PM
just remembered m8, my router is also a belkin. when i bought my first one i had all sorts of problems. took it back to the store where i bought it and exchanged it plugged the new one in and worked fine. not sure if this is the case with yours but worth a thought (f5d7231-4) this is the model number of the one which worked, not sure what the model number of the other one was but it was square shaped whereas the one i have now is rectangular.

adie
17-09-2006, 06:26 PM
just remembered m8, my router is also a belkin. when i bought my first one i had all sorts of problems. took it back to the store where i bought it and exchanged it plugged the new one in and worked fine. not sure if this is the case with yours but worth a thought (f5d7231-4) this is the model number of the one which worked, not sure what the model number of the other one was but it was square shaped whereas the one i have now is rectangular.

Thanks for all the help, i did try Robins guide but still no joy !!!
I agree the router is an unknown hence i thought i would set the ethernet up direct with pc before messing around with router.
Oh well, looks like i need to phone the dreaded ntl helpline !!!
I will post the outcome. Thanks again to all that have offered help.

stickywicket
18-09-2006, 12:38 PM
have you tried all the variables to establish what the problem might be ie have you tried a different ethernet cable, have you made sure you have given the modem sufficent time to load up. best to check all these things cause in my case usually when something gos wrong it is something very simple that i overlook. hope you get it sorted m8.

mastermac
18-09-2006, 07:38 PM
i know it might sound silly but have you changed your settings back after you used the the pc for the dbox?

adie
25-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Update

Good old NTL came out and replaced the modem which was faulty !! all ok now.

stickywicket
26-09-2006, 06:07 PM
glad you got it sorted m8, like i said best to check all these things. dont know how much broken equipment i went through(usually bounced off walls) before i started checking everything.