PDA

View Full Version : Video card problem

Dunc
13-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi,
My video card ati radeon 64 has started to get noisy the thing like a fan was sticking and after cleaning it up it is working but turning really slowly
1. is this normal
2. Is it on the way out
3. Will any Video card fit the slot as a replacement
Not very technical minded as you may have gathered so all help and advice appreciated.
Hope it keeps going until someone answers lol
Thanks
:please:

DessertDog
13-09-2006, 07:58 PM
why not just replace the fan on it m8

mr_chaela
13-09-2006, 08:05 PM
These little fans normally have a round sticker in the middle which covers the bearing. Lift the sticker, if you can see the spindle/bearing put a drop of thin oil on it, replace the sticker and all should be well for a good while.
hth

Dunc
15-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys...used some WD40 seems 2 have worked a treat life in my old pc yet.........thanks again.

:drunk:

saseagle
15-09-2006, 06:21 PM
I had a similar problem and bought a replacement fan from maplins for a couple of pounds. The fan is still running fine after 9 months. cheaper than having to change the video card.

asj
15-09-2006, 08:16 PM
worth keeping an eye on that fan, as if it stops spinning, your VGA card will overheat and bust up your video card.

jay
17-09-2006, 02:56 AM
Hey Dunc
It will fail eventually, its normal for a graphics card to wear out the fan, what card have you got?

Tallywadger
17-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi,
My video card ati radeon 64 has started to get noisy the thing like a fan was sticking and after cleaning it up it is working but turning really slowly
3. Will any Video card fit the slot as a replacement
please:
IAs far as question 3 goes m8, we need to know what type of slot your videocard is in, or how old your system is.. it could be PCI or AGP, It wont be a PCI Express as they are fairly new. When you look at the slot it is in is it the same as the slot used by say your modem card or sound card? if so and it sits in a line of 3 or 4 it will probably be and old PCI if the slot looks different and is slightly offset from the PCI slots that sound/modem etc are in it will probably be an AGP.
A PCI slot will look like this 1111111111111 111 where (blank) is a spacer (the card will have a space to fit this spacer on the cards connector)
AGP is like this 111111 1111 11111 11L as you can see an AGP card will have 3 spaces on the connector.
Hope this helps if not let me know and I'll try to explain a bit better.

I then went and found a photo which explains it far far better!! heh heh

Dunc
17-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Really helpful guys Thank you all....

Its an 3d powergeforce2 tidvi + tv
64mb AGP

From advice although its running just now may be better to replace the fan.

watto_uk
19-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Really helpful guys Thank you all....
Its an 3d powergeforce2 tidvi + tv
64mb AGP
From advice although its running just now may be better to replace the fan.

Probably just as cheap to replace the video card. You can pick up a good fast AGP card now for around £20.

Dunc
24-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Going to buy a new card had thought I had found a good replacement
SAPPHIRE
RADEON 9550
256MB DDR GRAPHICS CARD
But this has only two spaces instead of the three I have just now, have read somewhere this is to do with the voltage?
Then this one which seems to meet my needs although no tv out which I have just now but to be honest have not used.
3D FUZION
3DFR4000
GEFORCE MX 4000 - 128MB GRAPHICS CARD
Seems new graphics cards are a bit too advanced for my system and I need the agp three slot type card as the geforce MX4000 is.
Any comments or help welcome .....thanks

mr.harry
25-09-2006, 11:27 PM
It all comes down to cost .you can pigk up a GeForce MX440 64MB for ?17.16 from Computer Supermarket . One thing you can bet on your problem will return

Dunc
27-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Techy guys help please I have identified my mother board as an Asus A7A266with a agp pro slot interface X 4.
This appears to limit me to what I can replace my graphics card with anyone know the best performing graphics card I can get for this configuration.
Have been looking and cannot seem to source anything to suit.
Don't want to buy new computer for the sake of a graphics card lol

Help Please

:please: :please: :please:

mr.harry
28-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Your motherboard has an agp pro slot .This means you can use almost any agp graphics card as also runs the standard type ( not pci express these are a different ball game) .As for the vid out forget it if your not using it .you might want to record your games to video or dvd or you might want to fire it onto your tv but i doubt it .

This site gives all the details of your mother board
3DSpotlight | ASUS A7A266 Socket A motherboard review (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. And this one explains about the different types of agp slots
PC World - Hardware Tips: For Fast, Easy Computing, USB Is the Bus to Ride (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. If you explain to any pc shop your concerns about compatibility i am sure they will explain and at least now you should have a rough idea what you want.
Your board will run agp x8 video cards but only at x4 and they will not use up all the slots on the port.the above sites explain it better than i can
. Hope this helps

Dunc
28-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Mr Harry thanks ...your post was really helpful

Parva
30-09-2006, 11:27 PM
And definitely make sure you either change the fan or replace the graphics card. I fried a Radeon 9700Pro because I put a bit of WD40 into the bearings and assumed all was well. It was, for about 3 months then got a lot of lovely colours on screen but no picture, graphics card fried. :(

Napster
01-10-2006, 11:43 AM
using WD40 will make the dust to stick to fan so you will need to keep a close eye on it

umer
07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
The Best Card you can get for AGP is if you are Fine with NVIDIA then buy the 6800GT or if ATI then you can get the x800xt or x850pro. The best recommended chipset is 6600GT AGP as it is cheap, DX9.0 and works well with a lot of games these days like Doom3, Farcry, Counter-Strike, Company of Heroes, F.E.A.R, :fence: etc...