PDA

View Full Version : More channels coming to Topuptv

Shipoftheline
13-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes don't know how they will find their space without reducing the picture quality but here you go

TopUp TV - Just Select And Play (http://www.topuptv.com/channels.html)

thebighippo
13-09-2006, 01:08 PM
They do it by selling you a hard disk recorder for £200 and downloading programs to it throughout the day & night.
This gives you a selection of over 100 programs - note that this is programs NOT channels. They state 'programs refreshed on a daily basis' but it's not clear if this is all 100 or just a fraction of them. If is was all of them they could squeeze 100 programs from 24 hours * 2 channels, but I suspect that they will replace the programs on rotation every two or three days (maybe even weekly) and this will use only a single channel.

Thinking about it, the box would need 1 tuner for 'live' viewing plus 1 tuner for each 'downloaded' channel. I doubt if the box will have 3 tuners, so I guess they will only use 1 'download' channel giving a max of 24 hours fresh programs per day.

I just checked the FAQ - they send 90 hours per week, overnight. So, you are paying £10 a month for 12 hours tv per day

Shipoftheline
13-09-2006, 01:15 PM
They do it by selling you a hard disk recorder for £200 and downloading programs to it throughout the day & night.
This gives you a selection of over 100 programs - note that this is programs NOT channels. They state 'programs refreshed on a daily basis' but it's not clear if this is all 100 or just a fraction of them. If is was all of them they could squeeze 100 programs from 24 hours * 2 channels, but I suspect that they will replace the programs on rotation every two or three days (maybe even weekly) and this will use only a single channel.
Thinking about it, the box would need 1 tuner for 'live' viewing plus 1 tuner for each 'downloaded' channel. I doubt if the box will have 3 tuners, so I guess they will only use 1 'download' channel giving a max of 24 hours fresh programs per day.
I just checked the FAQ - they send 90 hours per week, overnight. So, you are paying £10 a month for 12 hours tv per day

So in effect its like what the current stations do now downloading the shows from the programme maker via satellite (Divx format). I now someone who got the Enterprise episodes this way while they where enroute to sky

ghengiskhan
16-09-2006, 10:01 AM
The new box cost £180 POUNDS, seems a bit overpriced.

Diablo13
23-09-2006, 03:10 AM
So in effect its like what the current stations do now downloading the shows from the programme maker via satellite (Divx format). I now someone who got the Enterprise episodes this way while they where enroute to sky

Referring to your other thread on Freeview boxes V Topuptv this does'nt sound like such a good deal to me. You have to buy the special recorder and then still pay ?10 a month for the service. On top of that you have to wait for them to download the programmes, whereas I can record what I want instantly and even use timeslip to watch a program before it has finished being transmitted. It does'nt cost zilch a month either. Do you get a choice of which programs they download to you or do you just get a package sent so you can pick out what you want from the dross? It wouldnt take long to fill a 160GB hdd at that rate so you would have to watch everything PDQ or it would be overwritten by the next transmission surely?
Or do they just send you the access codes down so that you can watch what you want on their server? That makes more sense, bit like a torrent site really. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick entirely?

satzzz
30-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Bit of a con if you ask me.Don't think they'll make it pay

r1800
02-10-2006, 07:57 PM
The way this works is the download to the pvr a selection of programs and you have so long to watch them before the are replaced.

The con with it is, you can select from which channels you want to download from. So you select them all and you might get from Eurosport, Moto GP and from Discovery, Mythbusters. However if you select to get programs from just Eurosport, you would still only get Moto GP, you wouldn't get an additional program from Eurosport.

Not a service that I can see many people wanting to subscribe to.