PDA

View Full Version : How an I restrict the bandwidth available to a PC running off my router??

gaz_0001
28-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi, i have a 2mb connection. The modem is connected to a router and my pc, and the other pc downstairs. I pay the whole connection fee, but they have recently started using limewire and hogging all of my bandwidth.

I am looking for an inexpensive way to limit them to only being able to download and browse at 56k, i think they will soon change their mind and suddenly appreciate the extra speed and pay me half???

Can this be done?? nI do have access to the other PC sao software will be fine.

scruff1963
29-05-2006, 10:42 PM
disconnect them, give them fa, if it's wireless setup wep and don't give them the key, also tell it to only accept your mac address.
when my son hogs the network here i just remove his mac address he soon gets the hint.

satansoft
12-06-2006, 03:07 AM
Hi mate, look for a program called NetlimiterPro

The-Wappy-One
12-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi mate, look for a program called NetlimiterPro

I have to aggree it is a excelent program..

Install it on all the pc's you want to cap.

Set the user setting on each version so that anyone on the network can set the download setting.. but on your version set it so they need a pasword (other wise they might capp your speed aswell) the only downside to this is if they notice netlimiter running and then close it down they will not be capped any more and there is nothing you can do. so tell the missis its a internet antivirus U/D checker (that way she wont close it down if she opens it up lol)

fernando
16-06-2006, 01:06 PM
disconnect them, give them fa, if it's wireless setup wep and don't give them the key, also tell it to only accept your mac address.
when my son hogs the network here i just remove his mac address he soon gets the hint.

DEFINATELY AGREE WITH THAT.... if they want broadband, then they pay for it. i think you've quite generous to even give them a 56kbps if you ask me. Broadband is cheap enough nowadays for people to stop scrounging off someone else's connection....

sounds like someone's taking liberties mate

Mmm Marky
11-08-2006, 10:48 PM
a nice QoS set-up is the way to go :)

MAC priority or some-such as well as service priority you choose.

Then when you're not using the bandwidth, they can :)

Think you can still get the Linksys wrt54g's for a good price (sub £50)

Declan
13-08-2006, 02:02 AM
you should be able to restrict the amount in the routers qos service
http://world-of-digital.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=981&stc=1&d=1155431234

Declan
13-08-2006, 02:09 AM
thats full screenshot

chmod-uk
09-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Theres no easy way really from the router point. You could rate limit based on port but you can't determine what port it will use for data. I know gnutella servers use 6346 but the data will be a random one.

Best bet is to limit the applications outbound traffic in limewire's options or like someone said, install netlimiter on all the clients and set a password in netlimiter to adjust the settings.

callisto11
14-09-2006, 04:04 PM
You dont mention what router you've got, but I agree that QoS or some sort of port based traffic shaping is whats required here. By port I mean the ports on your router.
Have a look in your routers config menu for any such clues.

baboon99
27-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I have a Linksys router with third party software DD-WRT installed and QOS is fantastic on there.

The kids use limewire and emule....and I have throttled it right back to next to nowt.....

So if you have a linksys your sorted.

The Heed

Merlin
28-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Is there something similar that can be applied to Belkin routers?

Ta

M

baboon99
28-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Dont think there is for Belkin m8y......

The Heed

purplesweetie
29-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Ive just flashed my linksys router with the dd-wrt software and it is superb.
Guess whos got all the bandwidth now.

baboon99
29-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Glad to be of help.......

After using the DD WRT Software I could never go back to the lame linksys software.

The Heed