PDA

View Full Version : internet

henry the 8th
07-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Is it possible to run two computers with the internet available on both from 1 incoming main line split or would i have to have 2 seperate accounts to run this

solemnknight
07-09-2006, 06:43 PM
what sort of setup do you have??? ie, is it broadband or dial up, how far apart will the machines be etc, what operating system is on the machines... as much info as you can give will be good and i'll run you through what you need to do.

y2krog2000
07-09-2006, 07:08 PM
If you have eithernet on both pcs just connect them together by that then connect up to the modem with usb.

henry the 8th
07-09-2006, 07:38 PM
what sort of setup do you have??? ie, is it broadband or dial up, how far apart will the machines be etc, what operating system is on the machines... as much info as you can give will be good and i'll run you through what you need to do.

It is ntl broadband i have got mate and the computers are 20 feet apart
the line in on the one i am using just now goes into a ntl cable modem then there is a blue cable with ethernet cable wtote on it coming out of the modem going into the phone point thingy in the back of my computer

can youstill help me and let me know what i need to do to set up the other connection or cn i just run a set up the other computor the same way with another modem andethernet cable

y2krog2000
07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
here m8, if u have ethernet on your other pc plug the 2 computers together with the eithernet and plug the ntl modem into the pc with the usb cable. I have 2 computers done up the same way with ntl broadband and the ethernet cable is 10 meters long and it was only %u00A315 from pcworld.

henry the 8th
07-09-2006, 07:55 PM
here m8, if u have ethernet on your other pc plug the 2 computers together with the eithernet and plug the ntl modem into the pc with the usb cable. I have 2 computers done up the same way with ntl broadband and the ethernet cable is 10 meters long and it was only %u00A315 from pcworld.

correct me if i picked this up wrong
i connect the 2 computers with the ethernet cable
connect the modem to the computer with usb cable
does the ethernet cable not need to be connected to the modem

solemnknight
07-09-2006, 07:55 PM
You can't have two modems on one line, but you have a few options you could do mate, the best way to it would be to buy a wireless router and wireless usb adapter (you should be able to get both for about 30). connect the ntl modem to the wireless router, connect the usb adapter to your other machine, configure the network (which i can help you with if need be) and done, you now have internet on both independantly
another way is like y2krog2000 described but means you share the connection through 1 machine instead of straight from the modem and you rely on that machine to be on, also the pain of having a long cable lying around. if you are looking for a long cable then try computer components pc systems, parts & peripherals aria (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. they are very cheap.
as said mate if you need help setting up or any further info then let me know.

y2krog2000
07-09-2006, 07:59 PM
The pc with the modem connected does have to be turned on for the other pc to connect to the internet, but its very easy to set up and costs next to nothing.