PDA

View Full Version : Emulsion: Matt or Silk

ikon
04-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Have done many painting jobs over the years. Normally when painting over a wall I have used a matt finish. For ceilings I have always used silk. I know that both have a different finish.

Hit a problem with a ceiling. I have put a couple of coats of white silk on it and there is still marks coming through. Somone suggested putting white matt on as this would get rid of the marks better.

Any comments on this? Is this a good idea or not?

Is there any times where it is better to use silk or matt?

Lainie
04-09-2006, 06:14 PM
would personally never use silk paint - delux pure brilliant white matt every time

:9:

unforgiven
04-09-2006, 07:00 PM
In my opinion matt hides a lot more imperfections in walls/ceilings etc with the silk highlighting imperfections due to its sheen . I always recommend matt to my customers as it is easier to apply and for the above reason. and always buy the best quality paint you can . just to add , if you are intent on using silk , give it a first coat with a decent trade matt first , i.e crown covermatt (trade) or dulux supamatt (also trade) . b&q stock the trade stuff now. The difference between trade (professional) emulsion and diy stuff is in basic terms that trade emulsion has a body to it which can be thinned slightly to make it easier to apply but still have covering power. whereas diy stuff has an artificial body to make it easy for the average non-professional decorator to use. (hope this helps) . any questions on decorating etc please ask. chhers

Gallilleo
09-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Silk paint is great for walls, but ALWAYS use matt on ceilings.

If there are marks/stains coming through the paint you have on at present (silk), using matt will not solve this problem. You have an underlying problem which needs to be addressed. I'm assuming you have brownish staining, this would be due to water/damp which is coming from somewhere. You will need to find out from where and cure that first ( popular places for water to get inbetween the floorboards are from baths/sinks and it often goes unnoticed till your ceiling starts to stain).

DessertDog
09-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Have done many painting jobs over the years. Normally when painting over a wall I have used a matt finish. For ceilings I have always used silk. I know that both have a different finish.
Hit a problem with a ceiling. I have put a couple of coats of white silk on it and there is still marks coming through. Somone suggested putting white matt on as this would get rid of the marks better.
Any comments on this? Is this a good idea or not?
Is there any times where it is better to use silk or matt?

You can get a spay can of stain blocker it will cover most stains or you could try covering the stain with a good undercoat first most will cover things like water markes ect.

paultefc1975
10-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I would use matt!

unforgiven
14-09-2006, 09:35 PM
as desert dog states , if it is a stain etc coming through , you can get a can of spray stain block. The one we use when doing water damaged ceilings etc is B.I.N stain block , in a red can available from any crown , dulux centre etc. otherwise as correctly stated by dd an oil based undercoat will also stop nearly every stain coming through

mattmate
07-12-2006, 10:28 AM
would personally never use silk paint - delux pure brilliant white matt every time
:9:

Exactly what i use, decent stuff and not too pricey either if you can find the tins with x% amount extra free.

wudzy
10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
i heard that u can paint over a stain with a oil based paint, then go over it with ur emulsion if ur really stuck!

leodis
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
yes you can use undercoat to stop stain on ceiling but but a good stainblock like zinnser is shellac based and dries in a few mins and can be coated straight away, also most decorators i know use a good matt emulsion on the ceilings and not silk and a good vinyl matt ,Dulux is the best will give a slight sheen anyway any decs on here will tell you to keep away from silk you could even use a satin/softsheen emulsion

bencrowther1
29-04-2008, 10:58 PM
the only way to successfully paint over a water mark in any plaster is to use a sealing agent prior to paint. they come in many different forms like the spray mentioned erlier and in a tin so you can applie with a brush.

or you could just give it 15-20 cotes of emulsion.

andywebmail
15-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I had a problem where a leaky rad valve upstairs had leaked through & stained the downstairs ceiling brown in a patch.
When dried, Just painting the stain over with emulsion seemed to draw the stain out again so i painted the stain area with white gloss to seal it then the emulsion again a few days later. this done the trick. hope it helps.