PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin dies

Gazer
04-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Naturalist, 44, killed by stingray on diving expedition, police say

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060903/060903_irwin_hmed_10p.hmedium.jpg (http://world-of-digital.com/forums/)Steve Irwin, right, and his wife Terri with a giant Galapagos land tortoise at the Australia Zoo.

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the %u201CCrocodile Hunter,%u201D was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, police said. He was 44.
Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney%u2019s The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.
The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.
Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.
A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver%u2019s death.
%u201CThe probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest,%u201D Hamil said.
Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin%u2019s zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.
'Crikey!'
Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry %u201CCrikey!%u201D in his television program %u201CCrocodile Hunter,%u201D which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.
He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.
Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.
Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.
Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.
Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.
Irwin told the Australian television program %u201CA Current Affair%u201D that %u201Ckilling one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me.%u201D
He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

Lainie
04-09-2006, 07:54 AM
just seen it on the news - wee shame

:( :(

notanotherone
04-09-2006, 08:08 AM
real nice guy what a shame really liked him

berley
04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
wow what a shock, really enjoyed watching him as well

shadsone
04-09-2006, 10:39 AM
kids will mis him alot,what a sad day...

redbarony
04-09-2006, 11:08 AM
A REAL HERO

brightened up those boring wildlife programmes

Shipoftheline
04-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Well he did live life dangerously

PS the forum bug is still messing with text I see

callisto11
04-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah, he was a good guy, very entertaining.
PPl on our office were stunned to hear this news.
Sad loss.

powerband
04-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Never really into the bloke myself but he entertained millions so he must have been good.Im sure he would have wanted to go doing the thing he loved.

solemnknight
04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
very sad, one of the few good aussies out there...
Imagine what Home and Away legend Alf Stewart would have to say " Stone the crowes, that flaming Gelaa will be missed "
Reknown for many catchphrases, including the "CRIKEY"
Rest in peace Crocodile Hunter, you not only entertained millions but also educated.

watto_uk
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
A legend is lost. I always enjoyed Steve's Crocodile Hunter shows. He was a little crazy sometimes, but it made for great viewing.

Very sad news. R.I.P Steve.:(

anothernoobie
06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
a great celebrity who will be missed by millions

Declan
06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
i know what a guy, it is a shame that he is gone.

what are your views on the release of the video of his death. i heard on the news that they are going to make it viewable by the public?

becksy666
06-09-2006, 09:25 PM
he was never shy about showing how much animals meant to him. in a way he seemed like an "animal geek" but he was a genuine nice man.

chasa66
06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Sad Day !!

fixit
06-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Very sad news. R.I.P Steve

gav12345
15-09-2006, 05:53 PM
when i first heard i really thought a crock has got him and its off with his head

then i heard a stingray wow shocked

Lainie
15-09-2006, 05:59 PM
defo would not agree with them releasing the video of his death. that bloomin awful peeps even thinking about that!!

:( :(

FERNOX
15-09-2006, 06:04 PM
A real nice fella, learnt me and my family alot about his passion (saving wildlife) missed here, like losing a friend