PDA

View Full Version : network drive plugin

TheObserver
29-08-2006, 09:12 PM
HI, I am using the NAS plugin with Neutrino but for some reason when the NAS goes into standby mode(HDD standby mode), I have to reboot the dreambox or keep on reloading the plugin to get it to recognise or wake up the NAS. I have got no problem with recording etc, infact its spot on! Has anyone else had this problem and been able to find a fix. I do not want to leave the HDD spinining all the time!

Another thing is, does anyone know how to setup the dreambox so that the plugin runs automatically when you reboot rather than having to remember to load the plugin?

cheers
theobserver:goodnight:

Speedy2206
29-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Do you want me to upload the command-line version of the NAS tool that you can use in startup scripts etc? I think thats what your looking for - it could mount the drive at startup :)

Gemini/enigma-base users; osborne82 discovered that you can connect to the NAS dirve and mount it through the webinterface; making a plugin necessary - credit to him for that discovery. Neutrino users arent so lucky.

Speedy2206
29-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I didnt have an answer to the other part of your query but I have just been thinking. When the HDD goes into sleep mode, if you try to access the drive what happens? Does the directory just appear empty or does it takes ages to display the directory and then fail/crash? If the directory appears as empty then the NAS could be re-mounted every time and empty mount point is detected. Just a thought.

TheObserver
30-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi Dizzy, good to see you around!
with ref to:
'Do you want me to upload the command-line version of the NAS tool that you can use in startup scripts etc? I think thats what your looking for - it could mount the drive at startup':

Yes please, that's if it means I do not need to run the plugin! also can it go anywhere in the startup script or are there rules that have to be followed? eg it must follow or go before another command?

thanks

TheObserver
30-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I didnt have an answer to the other part of your query but I have just been thinking. When the HDD goes into sleep mode, if you try to access the drive what happens? Does the directory just appear empty or does it takes ages to display the directory and then fail/crash? If the directory appears as empty then the NAS could be re-mounted every time and empty mount point is detected. Just a thought.

Good point, When I try to access the drive it comes back as empty but does not crash! Does this mean it needs to run another script to check for an empty mount?

cheers
theobserver:please:

Speedy2206
30-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Dizzy, good to see you around!
with ref to:
'Do you want me to upload the command-line version of the NAS tool that you can use in startup scripts etc? I think thats what your looking for - it could mount the drive at startup':
Yes please, that's if it means I do not need to run the plugin! also can it go anywhere in the startup script or are there rules that have to be followed? eg it must follow or go before another command?
thanks

Yep it means that you won't need the plugin. There will be no on-screen messages tho, everything (error messages, debug messages, etc) will be written to the console/serial port.

It can go anywhere in the startup script coz the program will handle any other routines needed in the right order. I'll include that re-mounting support too :) Be ready by late tonight as I'm just poping out but will get on to the case as soon as I'm back.

L.

Speedy2206
30-08-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm just finishing this off but I need to know the kernel version for the latest dreambox images. This is so I can determine the presence of smbfs.ko

If you look on your box under /lib/modules there will be a folder with numbers on. This is the version of the kernel. Please reply with that info :)

It'll be something like 2.6.17

Speedy2206
31-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Ignore that last request.
Just uploaded Command Line NAS Drive Mounting Tool to Dreambox Downloads.

http://world-of-digital.com/forums/f84/5994-command-line-nas-drive-mounter.html

Grabs kernel version automatically to locate smbfs.ko :)
Let me know if its any use.

PS: Sorry, no auto re-mounting in this version!

TheObserver
31-08-2006, 07:06 PM
i've tried this but but all it does is hang the box during the boot. I have followed the instruction but the only difference is that i do not have the 'start_neutrino' file. I have got 'start_all' file. I have put the following line into the 'start_all' file in various locations but it still hangs.

/var/bin/nas_cmd 192.168.1.101 dreambox dreambox /hdd

the settings above load my NAS ok using the plugin!

any ideas?

Speedy2206
31-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Try connecting to the box via telnet and typing the command.
It will generate an output.
The last line of a successful execution will read "Executing script..."

If it works via telnet then add a "&" sign to the start_all file, like so:

/var/bin/nas_cmd 192.168.1.101 dreambox dreambox /hdd &

TheObserver
31-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I have done it via telnet and after about 15 seconds the mount appears under HDD as expected. However it still hangs when I put the line with the '&' sign in the start_all file. This is the response I get doing via telnet where i noticed it does report errors!

dreambox ~ > /var/bin/nas_cmd 192.168.1.101 dreambox dreambox /hdd

$Id: NASDrive Command Line Mounter 1.1 $

NAS_CMD: IP Address = 192.168.1.101
NAS_CMD: Password = dreambox
NAS_CMD: Shared Dir = dreambox
NAS_CMD: Mount Type = Samba
NAS_CMD: Mount Point = /hdd

DEBUG: NAS_CMD: Executing Script...
insmod: smbfs.ko: no module by that name found
dreambox ~ > load_client_codepage: filename /lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not
exist.
Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
security=share

Speedy2206
02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Sorry m8, have only just come back to this thread.
You've confirmed the exact error and I now know what to fix. One of the mistakes is in the source, another is a missing file :)

I'll do a recompile and upload newer version to this thread.

TheObserver
02-09-2006, 07:45 PM
cheers speedy,
speak later!

Theobserver

oddstruck
02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
As I always have my nas drive connected. Is it possible to "autostart"
the plugin?

Speedy2206
03-09-2006, 03:24 AM
Just got in and going to fix the problem and reupload :)

As I always have my nas drive connected. Is it possible to "autostart"
the plugin?

Yep sure no problem. This program does that for you.
You just stick the config on the command line in start_all, start_neutrino or start_enigma and away it goes.

More details on upload [about 20 minutes from now]

Speedy2206
03-09-2006, 04:29 AM
Well here you go try this one - just overwrite with the old version.
Will tidy it up properly if it works OK, rushed this before I go to bed :)

oddstruck
03-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Well here you go try this one - just overwrite with the old version.
Will tidy it up properly if it works OK, rushed this before I go to bed :)
Thanks, looks like I need some more posts before I can read your attachment.

TheObserver
04-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Hi Speedy, sorry about the delay in testing!

anyway, I have installed the new version but it is still hanging in the same place. I have also pasted the text response from when I run it in telnet mode which loads the drive OK. However there are still errors and the command prompt does not come back until I press enter on the keyboard(maybe thats what the hanging is. The box is waiting for a user response?)

BusyBox v1.00 (2005.09.06-17:18+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

dreambox ~ > nas_cmd 192.168.1.101 dreambox dreambox hdd &
dreambox ~ >
$Id: NASDrive Command Line Mounter 1.1 $

NAS_CMD: IP Address = 192.168.1.101
NAS_CMD: Password = dreambox
NAS_CMD: Shared Dir = dreambox
NAS_CMD: Mount Type = Samba
NAS_CMD: Mount Point = hdd

DEBUG: NAS_CMD: Executing Script...
insmod: smbfs.ko: no module by that name found
load_client_codepage: filename /lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not exist.
Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
security=share

[1] + Done(1) nas_cmd 192.168.1.101 dreambox dreambox hdd
dreambox ~ >

cheers theobserver

TheObserver
13-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Got it sorted! found out that I needed to use Ultraedit app to edit the start-all file. Doing it in notepad added some invisible characters that caused the image to freeze. Lesson learnt for me!

Its working great and I don't have to bother with starting the plugin each time I reboot the box.

I am going to leave it so that the NAS goes to sleep and then see if it awakes automatically again when I try to access the NAS for recording.

Thanks speedy

zalman
08-10-2006, 05:30 PM
great thread cheers for the info guys helped me out no end

many thanks