PDA

View Full Version : later uk 04/05 images interfered with tuners ?

loady
29-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Some of you may remember me saying i lost my discovery channels, it resulted in me having to go back to my trusty but ugly old dbox2, i could be wrong, but does any one think that the later uk04/05 images may have played around with the tuners in dreamboxes and changed them somehow ?? it could be that my signal has degraded, its funny though i remember liam saying that he was doing things to the tuner to make it scan better, anyone else here that cant get channells that they used to have no problem recieving ?

I still cant get any discovery channells on my dreambox unless i disconect the modem, the dbox2 picks them up with no problems even with the modem connected. I never had any problems like this when i first got it.

notanotherone
29-08-2006, 09:53 AM
hin again loady i have had uk05 running since it came out and have everything never lost in fact gained the new film4 and fim4+1 and the zone channles so i can say no ive not lost anything

Speedy2206
29-08-2006, 10:18 AM
the uk04/05 series did not have any changes to the tuner ; these were programmed by rudbox and i didnt touch those :) i do remember starting to look at optimizing tuner but dont know where it went from there??? dont think anything came of it. i think its the newer rudbox's that are causing the problems; go for a newer base image and you might even see a stablility increase :) i'll have another look at dm500 this next sometime.

loady
29-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Nice to hear from you. Yes a vaugely remember you saying that. When you say new base image, what do you mean exactly, like one i can get from here that has had all the cams etc installed ??

cheers.

Speedy2206
29-08-2006, 10:59 AM
By 'base image' i mean one that has been released by rudbox straight from their team. The problem with using images on here that already have all the cam's etc already installed is that you dont exactly know what mods have been done by the user that uploaded it - you don't know if extra files have been added that will affect performance or stability, and in the same respect you also don't know if files have been removed that will have the same effect on the smooth running of the image.

By getting a fresh copy of the rudbox image, you are ensuring that you have a clean base to start from. You can disable all the extra perks that might affect your box somehow, and only enable the things that you absolutely essentially need. Do a scan BEFORE adding cams, and try using the FTA channels - is this more stable? After trying the FTA channels, try adding something such as evocamd to the image.

I would advise that you don't look at some of the newest rudbox images, but instead go back maybe as far as 24th July 2005, the 0724 image, or the 0613 image. These don't contain all the newer supposedly 'enhanced' features and might prove better for your box. After you've got the FTA channels running with the image version of your choice; try adding the camd's. Again, don't always assume that the latest version of mgcamd is going to be the best - it might turn out that a version of mgcamd from 2 years ago is alot more suitable.

WIth the camd's - make sure that they are not too old, but not too new. If they are too old then you might find that the latest keyroll method isnt supported and they wont update. Try to gain a balance between image version, camd version, and stability :)

You may even find that after all this, the newer images are BETTER for your box! If thats the case then just go for the latest ones, but again making sure that you start from fresh. Its all trial and error; but at the end of it you can feel proud that you have experimented with the box, researched, and discovered whats best for you.

To improve stability further, you can remove crap plugins from /var/tuxbox/plugins (or elsewhere on the box, depending on the image). You can also have a go at editing the rCs, init.d, start, and start_neutrino files, to disable processes loading at startup - for example, removing the 'nhttpd' line will prevent the box from loading the web interface; may free up lots more RAM, and have a more stable environment to work in.

loady
29-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Cheers m8, thats a tall order.....ill need to learn how to install cams as i have never done it, is there a link to a tut for that, would also appreciate a link to where i can download the said images and cams.

Thanks again.

DessertDog
29-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Cheers m8, thats a tall order.....ill need to learn how to install cams as i have never done it, is there a link to a tut for that, would also appreciate a link to where i can download the said images and cams.
Thanks again.
loady F5 m8

Speedy2206
29-08-2006, 11:36 AM
There is a tutorial somewhere in the DBOX2 download section I think by de_deej. Basically you download the evocamd package to your computer, unzip it to your desktop, and then copy some files into a few locations.

As a general rule:
nagraramXX.bin and nagraromXX.bin go in /var/scce.
Autoupdate.key, nagra, and any miscellaneous files go in /var/keys.
"evocamd" goes in /var/bin (You need to CHMOD 755 this file)
You may also need to get an english UK Autoupdate.key file from another image first and use that in place of the one in the evocamd package.

Then you edit the file called start_neutrino and include one line at the very bottom (or the very top) of the file:

/var/bin/evocamd &

Make sure that the start_neutrino file is CHMOD 755 otherwise the box wont boot :) After that you should just be able to reboot the box and the cam is installed. From then on, you can use the 'addons' menu to control the camd.

This is based on evocamd but other cams are the same.
As for the said images, look on google for the "UMP File Center" or ump2002. I'm not sure if I can give out the exact web address on this site due to rules :)