PDA

View Full Version : PC Hanging

mongo
28-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Here's problem 1:
Pc boots up ok, but when I try to open the control panel via "Start>Control Panel" it hangs for about 30 secs to a minute then all the options come up that are in the control panel. If I do "Start>Control panel" and then right click on the desktop and select "refresh", the control panel comes up staight away. Very strange.

Problem 2:
Now this is probably related in some way to problem 1. If I have a word doc or excel doc on my desktop and try to open it the same thing happens as problem 1, it hangs for ages and then opens. If I right click the desktop and select refresh, it opens. If I open up Word or Excel through "Start>Program Files>Word" and then select the doc that i want from "File>Open>*.doc" it comes up staright away, no delay.

Now I haven't installed anything new on the PC for a while or did any changes to it. It just happened when I tried to open a file from the desktop without starting Word or Excel first.

My thoughts:
It's hanging for a reason, it seems to be looking for something and then times out and opens it anyway.

What i've tried:
System restore to ages ago - didn't work
registry clean/fix - didn't work
disconnected the network card and printer - didn't work
Found something that it might be the corrupt templates in word - deleted them and it created new ones - didn't work

OS - Win XP Home SP2
Office PAckage - MS Office Pro 2003

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this problem?? Its driving me nuts

callisto11
28-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Just to rule out any nasties first : do you have up to date anti-virus, antispyware and firewall running ?

After that you may need to find out what the PC is actually doing during its "delay". You can find out by getting programs such as the following :
filemon
regmon
procexp
tcpview
from the Sysinternals Freeware (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. web site..

You may also find it useful to defrag your computers hdd, and ensure you've got plenty of memory in your PC.

Shipoftheline
28-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Had something like this happen once and it turned out to be the scanner going on the blink (os constantly trying to find scanner because it detected something connected). First I'd try disconnecting any usb stuff

Failing that start, run and type "sfc /scannow" perhaps that could fix anything broken in the os

mongo
28-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Right got it working, had me dad at me for ages to get this fixed (me dads pc), I post on here and get it workin in aboot half an hour.

Just to rule out any nasties first : do you have up to date anti-virus, antispyware and firewall running ?

Got the latest Mcafee Security suite (anti-virus/firewall/spyware/spam), all up to date. So I think to meself uninstall the main progs that run constantly, starting with me antivirus.....uninstalled everythin to do with Mcafee and everything workin great!!
So it looks like it has been an update for a part of mcafee that has been causing the probs.

After that you may need to find out what the PC is actually doing during its "delay". You can find out by getting programs such as the following :
filemon
regmon
procexp
tcpview
from the Sysinternals Freeware (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. web site..

Nice set of programs, very handy. They're gonna be useful.

Time to look for a new anti-virus and firewall, got bitdefender on my pc and been workin great, so just gonna put that on.

Thanks all

1430N3
28-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I would also recommend Defragging a system that is acting like this... even if you have got it fixed.