PDA

View Full Version : Installing a DVD RW on a notebook

abcd
26-08-2006, 11:11 AM
How easy is it to install a optial device on a notebook - I currently have just a CD RW/DVD drive which means I can't back up to DVD. I don't want an external drive this defeats the point of a laptop. I've seen slimline notebook drives for around £40-£50 but would prefer not to pay hard earned cash for its installation - probably another 30 quid!. I am a newbie to computers but am not afraid of screwdrivers!

dav51
26-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi m8

It depends - but you should just be able to release the drive with a lever/latch and the bottom of the laptop, and slot another one in yourself Have you got the make & model of your notebook & I'll find out more for you.

Cheers

Dave

abcd
26-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks - Its a Compaq Presario 2100 can't see any latch or lever though other than the one for the battery.

Cheers
Pete

dav51
27-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi Pete
Yep, you're right. Yours doesn't have the release latch, you'll need to remove the keyboard - i've done some digging around and found this link:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. It looks quite easy though. The Comaq part number for the drive is 319423-001.
This drive is also being used in quite a few makes/models of computer under part ref: SD-R6252. I've seen one on Ebay for £40 under this reference.
I'd double check the part numbers yourself though before ordering as I made the link from the Compaq Part number to the generic part number at
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. not spamming with these links as wouldn't recommend the prices on each page)

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Dave

abcd
27-08-2006, 09:16 PM
I'll be getting the screwdriver out then - again cheers. Her indoors wont be happy if it all goes wrong - never mind.

stevedurban
11-09-2006, 12:03 AM
youll probably find most laptop dvd/cd drives are all the same size, and firmware dependant, most will work on any machine. but you have to check with manufacturers or youll get stung!

waslos
17-11-2006, 01:59 PM
how fast is the dvd rw?