PDA

View Full Version : Returning to work when you have a sick line

superflyguy
25-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know if it is ok to return to work before your return to work date if you have a sick line?

scruff1963
25-08-2006, 12:35 AM
If you mean the doctor gives you a 2 week sicknote can you go back after 1 week the answer is no.

You need to return to your doctor and explain you now feel well enough to return to work. It is not your decision but the doctors.

Devilfish
25-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Check with your occupational health department. I would imagine they would need to check you first before certifying you able to work again.

Diablo13
25-08-2006, 12:45 AM
While I am not 100% on this, I think you have to notify social security about this but it depends on the length of sicknes. You could go to your doctor and ask him to sign you off the sick so that you can go back to work. There are complications I believe because of pension contributions which are paid when you are sick and if you go back to work you could get your contributions paid twice, which would be illegal. The other thing of course is if you go back to work before your ready or against doctors advice and something untoward happens to you or someone else: you might not get compensation because you were deemed unfit for work. If an accident happened to someone you were working with it could be said that you were at fault because you were unfit to carry out your job?
As I said I would not testify to this as it depends on the illness, what work you do, how long you have been off sick etc. To give an example; A childminder who had been off sick with a bad back for a week of a ten day sicknote, might not have a problem. A lorry driver who had been off for a month with Malaria should not go back because his job posed a risk to himself and others.
I would suggest you either wait it out or if your bored out of your skull, see your doctor he will be able to tell you properly either way.

Lainie
25-08-2006, 12:54 AM
in my work you need a signing off line from your doctor - ie a return to work date. ive never been off that much and if i had a 2 week line then i stay off for 2 weeks - jeeso wish i could get one the now - need a break from work

pipehose
25-08-2006, 12:57 AM
if your doc see you fit all you need is a return to work line from him. he will still have to give this to you.. even after the 2 week line

superflyguy
25-08-2006, 07:40 PM
It's a question that came up at work and nobody knew the answer. Our company continues to pay full pay if you are off sick and I was not sure if the doctor's line is to cover for SSP if you need to claim it - if you return early then this may lead to unnecessary admin. Of course, there is the health and safety aspect also, but If you're fit enough to return then why can't you? I've never been off more than a week so I have never had to get a sick line. I guess doctor's appointments can also be difficult to get and it could be easier just to return to work.

Anyway, hope to find out for sure on Monday.

lookwhoiam
26-08-2006, 09:00 AM
I thnik the more important question is why would you want to go back to work if you feel better?
enjoy the days off and go out.

scruff1963
26-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Most companies will turn a blind eye but if there is a problem and health and saftey get involved then you will find yourself not covered by insurance and the company and yourself could face criminal charges.

Ignoring the rules is fine until something goes wrong.

Gurmon1975
27-08-2006, 03:35 PM
wow, didn't know it was this complicated.....I usually waltz back when I just feel better.....guess I shouldn't do that next time....