PDA

View Full Version : Whats limiting me now

Scotster
23-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey guys, got a 10meg mac addy (eventually) tested it and its working just fine. Trouble is i can't download faster than 4mb. Anyone got any reason for this? its definitely a 10 meg address i have no doubt, the only thing i can think of is that its down to the SB4100??

Cheers

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/scotster_2006/Config.jpg

Scott =op

Hunter
23-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey guys, got a 10meg mac addy (eventually) tested it and its working just fine. Trouble is i can't download faster than 4mb. Anyone got any reason for this? its definitely a 10 meg address i have no doubt, the only thing i can think of is that its down to the SB4100??

Cheers

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/scotster_2006/Config.jpg

Scott =op
try uploading somewhere

koevoet
23-08-2006, 07:02 PM
This could be a number of factors >> there could be loads of traffic on the network , also the location of the server you are trying to d/load from , if you ran a speed test the majority of them are not accurate , best place to check it to d/load from an ftp site close to you , or from the newsgroups.

Regards

Scotster
23-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry i should have said before. It was newsgroups i tried from. I have never once had under 9mb downloads from there and yet i can't get over 4.1 just now.

Any other ideas? Different firmware?

Cheers

Scott =op

saseagle
23-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Are you using a router as some routers can't handle 10Meg. I ended up having to setup an old PC as a firewall router so that I could get the full 10meg download from the TW newsgroups. Hope that helps

Scotster
23-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Cheers for the reply..

I actually have a 10meg connection legit at the moment. I'm just messing around with the idea and thinking of dropping it so that i don't need to pay as much if i can get the hacked one to work properly. The original modem works just fine at 10meg on my network, all i have done is swap the modems.

Cheers

Scott =op

Scotster
23-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I've just thought of a little test. I'll put in my official modems mac addy etc into the hacked one and see what sort of speeds i get then.

If anyone can think of anything please let me know.

Scott =op

Scotster
23-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok even with my mac addy i'm still only managing 4Mb

Anyone got any ideas? The only thing i could think of was that the 4100 wasn't up to it but i looked it up and it says 38Mb max so it can't be that.

Is it possibly the firmware? Any recommendations for what one i should use?

Scott =op

Scotster
23-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Ok i changed the firmware to 4.4.5 and it made feck all difference. Still averaging out at around 3.7Mb/s

My SNR on this modem is 38dB
the QAM is 246 (whatever that is)
Network Access Control Object is On (whatever that is)
Power Level is -4dBmV

Upstream Power Level is 42dBmV

The only differences between this modem and my 5100 is the power levels for downstream are 40dBmV and the upstream is also 40dBmV

Would that be the problem? Are there any solutions?

Scott =op

Hunter, i forgot to say. I tried uploading at 40k and it did it for a few seconds. Was using P2P so can't really rely on it but it did seem ok. Don't really know how else to measure it.

bladesftp
23-08-2006, 08:51 PM
try downloading frrom the blueyonder host under united kingdom that will give you what your true speed is post the results back here

Tucows Downloads - Download Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.0 Shareware Software (http://www.tucows.com/get/305123)

Scotster
23-08-2006, 09:14 PM
465kb/s, downloaded it in 22 seconds.

Thing is, i got a 670kb/s download with P2P just 5 mins ago. It seems to be going over the normal 4Mb connection speed but still nowhere near the 10Mb that it should be.

Its kind of inbetween.

Scott =op

koevoet
23-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Could be an hardware issue on the modem itself that is causing this ,, as they are old modems nothing is 100% sure on them . If your other modems are pulling the correct speeds then it is the modem ,, try a mac change and manually force the config , see if this makes a diff.

Regards

Scotster
24-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah i was thinking it was the modem. Think it will be making its way over to ebay lol.

I tried forcing the config and i have tried 2 10meg macs (my own and a-n-other) with the same results.

Thanks for the help.

Scott =op

gwapo
25-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi, I am having the same problem.

I have tried a sb4100 and an sb4200 and both are the same. I'm very new to all this but i'm definitely using a 10MB MAC(have tried 3 different ones).

Can upload at 384 no problem.

Have only been able to test on uTorrent but for over two weeks now the download has never gone over @400 kb/s.

I have had 3 different PCs at my disposal so I don't think it's that.

Was beginning to think I have the wrong type of filter in the wall box (did I say I was new? lol).

Could somebody please explain how I 'force a new config' please.

Final request. How do I download from Newsgroups? The programs I've seen advertised you have to pay for and they have download limits which I think defeats the object of broadband. Can anybody point me out a proggie or tutorial please?

T.I.A.

Scotster
25-08-2006, 05:20 PM
You already have access to the newsgroups via your 10meg mac addy. All you need to do is download newsbins pro to try it.

Let me know how you get on mate as this is starting to take a new twist.

Do you still have the second modem? I would have bought it off of you to try it here.

Cheers

Scott =op

gwapo
25-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Scotster, I've installed Newsbin.Pro.v5.0.1.5807.

I've got news.blueyonder.co.uk listed under servers. Now what do I do?

I can't get this program to do anything, lol.

My mate has the sb4100 now. I still have the 4200i

How do I force a new config? I am assuming that is different to updating via the hack page.

Scotster
25-08-2006, 11:27 PM
You don't need to force a new config if you have a 10meg mac. Also it probably wouldnt work anyway.

I couldn't use Newsbin v5 i stuck with version four but what you do is click the button that looks like a scroll, tick binaries, tick display groups containing then type divx into the box below it. Select one of the groups with the most amount of posts then click ok. It will appear in the left column. Double click it and it will download the posts. Find one thats pretty large and double click on it to download it. Check your speeds out.

Scott =op

gwapo
26-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Ok, not got the hang of this yet but downloaded a rar to somewhere on my drive, lol.

Looking at some kind of speed indicator bar at the very bottom, left side of the screen....it peaked at @ 5.4 Mbps and seemed to even out @ 4.7Mbps.

That was a 40 MB file btw.

Pretty damned impressive but nowhere near 10 MB !

How are you getting on with yours?

Scotster
27-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I was away all weekend but what you got above is exactly what happened with me.

Noone else got any ideas?

Scott =op

gwapo
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Had some more freetime today so decided to change the MAC for another 10Mb MAC and now I'm downloading from the Newsgroups @ 8 Mbps :)

Don't know why the speed has increased but I'm not complaining!

Is it actually possible to download @ 10 Mbps or am I reaching full potential now? Anybody care to comment?

koevoet
02-09-2006, 10:20 AM
You may notice when ISP`s offer a certain package they never say it`s a guaranteed speed of xxx megs, they allways say upto xxx megs , therefore you may get the full whack or you may not , make the most of what you have after all it is free isn`t it ??

Regards

gwapo
03-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Like I said, no complaints from me but if I was actually paying for a 10 Mb connection I would wonder why I'm only able to achieve @ 80 % from their own servers.

Telewest wouldn't be too pleased if I sent them a cheque every month less 20 % of the bill :)

They could say they are offering a new service 'up to' 100 Mb for all the difference it makes.

mousey
13-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I Can't Believe Your Getting 8MB Download From The Telewest Usenet Server. The Most I've Ever Had Coming Down From Their Is 1.2MB Flatline. I Do Live In A Student Area Where Every House Is Registered To Telewest.

But I Always Assumed That 1.2 Was The Fastest I Would Get Out Of It. I Would Love To Hit 8 MB Any Ideas?

Thanks

bladesftp
13-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I Can't Believe Your Getting 8MB Download From The Telewest Usenet Server. The Most I've Ever Had Coming Down From Their Is 1.2MB Flatline. I Do Live In A Student Area Where Every House Is Registered To Telewest.
But I Always Assumed That 1.2 Was The Fastest I Would Get Out Of It. I Would Love To Hit 8 MB Any Ideas?
Thanks

when you say 1.2Mb do you mean 1200kb/s if so then that is 10mb my freind