PDA

View Full Version : Security: Vista vs OpenSource

nss1888
22-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Well the usual debate rolls around again...

Is Open Source better than the Microsoft monopolised OS's as far as security is concerned??

Well, Vista is locked down more than any other previous version of a MS Kernal (the central core of the OS) and this means that security for it will now be soley dependant on MS and also comes with "PatchGaurd" which monitors the Kernal for any changes by Viri, trogans etc.... No longer will semantic (or other) Anti Virus packages be abel to modify the Kernal, which they must do to function...

Are you happy with Microsoft being COMPLETELY incharge of your data/network/machine security??

Article here:

BBC NEWS | Technology | User pain may mean Windows cracks (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5271386.stm)

Hunter
22-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Well the usual debate rolls around again...

Is Open Source better than the Microsoft monopolised OS's as far as security is concerned??

Well, Vista is locked down more than any other previous version of a MS Kernal (the central core of the OS) and this means that security for it will now be soley dependant on MS and also comes with "PatchGaurd" which monitors the Kernal for any changes by Viri, trogans etc.... No longer will semantic (or other) Anti Virus packages be abel to modify the Kernal, which they must do to function...

Are you happy with Microsoft being COMPLETELY incharge of your data/network/machine security??

Article here:

BBC NEWS | Technology | User pain may mean Windows cracks (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5271386.stm)

you only have to look at the problems with service pack 2 for xp to see how bad microsoft
also if you look at suse to what redhat was like i would say the Open Source is far better and wil superseed microsoft in the near future

bye Mr Gates :HiFlip:

Shipoftheline
22-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Well I know myself hackers have moved onto Linux because Windows has been taught to break with all the security updates so I know what I'd go for

callisto11
22-08-2006, 10:34 AM
i would say the Open Source is far better and wil superseed microsoft in the near future

Better get your head out of cloud cuckoo land I think.
Just how will Open Source break the monopoly of the worlds most profitable software company then ? You think M$ will just lie down. Dont think so mate.

Shipoftheline
22-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Better get your head out of cloud cuckoo land I think.
Just how will Open Source break the monopoly of the worlds most profitable software company then ? You think M$ will just lie down. Dont think so mate.

If more games started coming out for it then I'd say its possible but as things are I'm with you not a chance its just Linux fans hoping. Linux after all is so great most of the users I come across are talking about emulating Windows on it lol

nss1888
22-08-2006, 11:38 AM
From the Enterprise Business perspective.. If Vista becomes the new target for hackers/crackers and code monkeys, which it will....

then it'll only take a bit of time before the the BIG users of Microsot OS will go Open source UNLESS there new systems (Vista and whatever is to follow) are COMPLETELY bullet proof... and the chances fo the are ?!?

Answers on a postcard. to Mr B Gates ...

callisto11
22-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Vista is a client side product. The server product is called Longhorn, which is the replacement for Windows 2003. Longhorn is also under development and is supposed to come out late 2007. Thats what businesses will use, not Vista.

nss1888
22-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, longhorn is the Sever side OS, but the same still applies if the Kernal is "patchgaurd" 'ed and Sophos/semantic etc don't have access....

But with regard to the enterprise, all the users will have Vista and therefore unless the "Patchgaurd" is bullet proof you are still have problems.. All the best practices in the world asrn't gonna stop some tube with a floppy or CD they shouldn't be sticking in the Enterprise envoroment doing it.. to perhaps dire consequences....

little_pob
22-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Just want to point out you are talking about Windows Server "Longhorn", as Windows "Longhorn" was Vista's codename until mid-2005.

Windows Server Longhorn is obviously for servers. Vista is for desktops, whether at home or work. The 'flavour' (one of 6) will depend on your/your company's need.

Vista's 'secure' kernal has already been hacked with a simple malware exploit. Other than saying something like 'it would be inappropriate to comment on a beta product' Microsoft have refused to comment on this.

With all the hassle MS had with the monopoly suites I cannot see them failing to provide the anti virus companies with some way of antivirus progs working in Vista (esp. to MS "partners"). Thats not to say there will be a back door into the kernal, but that MS is likely to provide security keys so that the antivirus program can alter the User Account Control (with user agreement).

There is only one thing that would get me to upgrade to Vista and that is if a significant number of DirectX 10 only games that I wish to play get released.

That is unless some clever sole manages to port it to XP, or write a DX10 compatible alternative...

callisto11
23-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Just want to point out you are talking about Windows Server "Longhorn", as Windows "Longhorn" was Vista's codename until mid-2005.
good point, well spotted :-)

Vista's 'secure' kernal has already been hacked with a simple malware exploit. Other than saying something like 'it would be inappropriate to comment on a beta product' Microsoft have refused to comment on this.
Why would they comment on the "exploit" of a product under development then ? Vista is beta and so is still full of bugs, so why the surprise ? Thats the point of a beta isn't it, to find and address bugs..

There is only one thing that would get me to upgrade to Vista and that is if a significant number of DirectX 10 only games that I wish to play get released.

And you dont think this is likey to happen then :-)
I would be very surprised indeed if MS bother to release DX10 for XP, and once DX10 is out you can bet that all new games will use it.

Shipoftheline
23-08-2006, 03:35 PM
And you dont think this is likey to happen then :-)
I would be very surprised indeed if MS bother to release DX10 for XP, and once DX10 is out you can bet that all new games will use it.

It is more than possible for some modders to release a modified version that installs on XP though

little_pob
23-08-2006, 04:33 PM
once DX10 is out you can bet that all new games will use it.
I expect new games to use DX10, but for the foreseeable future games will also be able to run using the current DX9c codec (with a lower level of graphic shading). This doesn't really bother me at the moment, as I don't think my current GFx card is DX10 compatable.

beerdame
30-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Micorosoft are notorious for they're security vulnerabilities, but you'll have to go through a steep learning curve to switch to open source.... the reason we're all using microsoft is because it's so easy to use....