PDA

View Full Version : Novell & Wireless networks

jonzy
21-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Heres a odd one that maybe someone on here can answer...

Ill give you a breif overview of the setup. Client is a Windows xp sp2 laptop, onboard wireless, latest novell netware client and is the 'primary' login client, pure ip environment no ipx.

On the first boot the netware client fails to login due to the wireless not starting up and getting a dhcp ip. My current solution is to set the microsoft workstation login as the primary client, then have novell prompt to login once the laptop has booted to the desktop and the wireless is up and running.

Ive had a look round and it appears to be quite common. Id love to have the users login as usual but wireless.... any netware experts (do they still exist? :wink: )

timbo
22-08-2006, 04:42 PM
hehe.. We have just got rid of our Netware 5.1 servers (thank god) NDS was a killer.

Anyway, back to your problem. I think the first thing you need to make sure is that you are using the Microsoft wireless software, and not any that may have been provided by the laptop / network card supplier. It's a well known problem that people use 3rd party software for controlling their Wi-Fi cards when indeed they need to use logon facilities which can only be supported by the OS driven software. (aka Windows Zero Configuration in XP)

Hope this helps a little.. if not reply and I'll rack my brains again.