PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro log in screen password

superflyguy
19-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi

Every time I start the computer I have to log in to XP even though I do not use a password. I just hit the ok button to log in without entering anything. Does anyone know how to get rid of the log in window?

Thanks

kaloo
19-08-2006, 09:49 PM
what does its says when log in, like does it say any user name thing like this.

Poignant
19-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi, mate do the following to get rid of it.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

Click Change the way users log on or off

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

superflyguy
19-08-2006, 10:27 PM
It's the splash screen which asks for user name & password. I switch on th PC and walk away whilst it boots. The log in splash screen is waiting when I return, I simply hit ok but have to wait a minute or so while it launches the start up items before I can use the internet.

superflyguy
19-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Tried the control panel route but got a message saying that client services for netware had disabled the options. It advised that I should uninstall client services for netware - had a quick look on google but haven't found the solution yet.

Poignant
19-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi mate.

Control Panel --> Network Connections.

Right-Click on the network connection for your system (Local Area
Connection).
Choose Properties.

Find Client Service for Netware in the list and click on it once.
Choose Uninstall

superflyguy
20-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks Poignant

Removed client services for networking and printer sharing from the properties list. This has removed 75% of the wait when the start up items are launching after logging on - so not so much of a problem now.

However, still can't change the way users log on or off as client services (running somewhere) is still preventing access to the welcome screen option.

Poignant
20-08-2006, 04:38 AM
OK sounds like a pain mate there is a program that can do this for you however there is another way if you are feeling brave. I'll explain the brave way first.

To disable the Welcome screen you can also open the Registry editor click Start > Run and type regedit.exe and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon
In the right pane look for and remove the entry for Gina.DLL

If you are not feeling so brave you can try Tweak UI
Tweak UI for Windows XP (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm)

Hope this helps mate.

pete77
20-08-2006, 03:13 PM
ya i had same prob there was another account in my user accounts i think it was something 2 do with windows but i got rid of it and now its ok

superflyguy
21-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I'll see if I feel brave after 5-a-side tomorrow, too tired now to make changes and test.

Haladini
23-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Open a command prompt or the "run" command in the start menu. Type in " control userpasswords2 " and a more advanced form of the user accounts dialogue box will open. At the top you can clear the check mark from " Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer ". Then click the Apply button down on the lower right.

A new dialogue box will open, " Automatically Log On ", and prompt you to enter a user name and password which will log on automatically when the pc is powered up. Fill in with the user which you want to be logged in automatically, and the correct password and confirmed password.

This should solve the problem.

DessertDog
23-08-2006, 04:36 PM
ya i had same prob there was another account in my user accounts i think it was something 2 do with windows but i got rid of it and now its ok
your first post should have been in here http://world-of-digital.com/forums/f8/
please follow the link and introduce your self
thanks m8

superflyguy
25-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Halidini has the answer but make sure you know exactly your username and password or you could get locked out.

law
01-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Reboot your system, when the screen switches after bios press f8 and it should stop at a few options e.g start windows in safe mode.

Select safe mode and let it log in as adminstrator. Now go into control panel and user accounts and "change the way user logs on" deselect the options in there. Also If you have any limited accounts you dont need, you can delete them but leave files and folders created by that user, so you dont lose any work etc.