PDA

View Full Version : little advice please? classifieds website.

wannawannawanna
09-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can recommend the best way for me to create a classifieds website, i have basic knowledge of html + css so nothing special (and as mentioned thats only basic at the minute) so was hoping for a kind of software i can source for free but one that will create a decent enough looking website. this will only be a temporary solution to get the thing up and running and so that ideas can be put into action before i work on doing it properly. early stages, just need to get it off the ground. can't go into specifics. but would like it to look nice regardless of the stage it is at. any advice would be greatly appreciated. BK.

alanjg007
09-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Have you thought about some free content management systems. There are a few like Wordpress, joomla that spring to mind. All are free and all will do what you want. The community fallowing for these are superb and people make modules and plugins that expand them, some free some not.

Hope this helps.

wannawannawanna
09-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks, I had a look at wordpress but had no classifieds, i'll have a look for some expansions. I'll take a look at joomla. I'd love to make it from scratch but it seems like too much of a task to get motivated, know too little atm.

alanjg007
09-06-2015, 10:42 PM
I used joomla in the past and reccomend it, plenty of free templates you can use to get yourself up and running.

alanjg007
09-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Another thing, you can 'host' joomla on your pc while your creating it then transfer it across to a hosting site. Plenty of tutorials on how to do this.

wannawannawanna
10-06-2015, 01:11 AM
ok thanks very much, I was planning on hosting it on a Rasp Pi2 just waiting for SD to come to get it set up. i've heard they're not secure though.. should I be worried ?

alanjg007
10-06-2015, 08:06 AM
No sure. NEver thought about putting a site on a rasberry pi. I always assumed that IPS's block the ports needed to host a website.