PDA

View Full Version : 4010n help please

stonedandhappy
19-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi guys. First post here and I think its a cracker to get your brains working.

I've posted this on a few boards and still not managed to solve it. SOme of you mat have even read it before.

Basically what it is is I did my first pace box last week. I've done sammys before with no problem.

I got the box up and running fine at my place and gave the box to a mate. Initially he had no problems with it but later that night when surfing through channels they would stop loading eventually leading to the box freezing.

Switching the box off at the mains sorted the problem temporarilly but after a while the same happened again.

I have since redone his card with the new fun au image and tried it at mine. Same problem. So i managed to rule out the card image and the signal problem.

I opened the box, pulled the red jumper, tried again and still the same problem.

I then booted up holding the services button, still the same.

I have re jtagged the box to make sure the bk and ird are good.

After some advice I tried redoing the image. Nae good.

Tried a tit2 card. Still nae good.

Sat with a magnifying glass checking the board for bad solder. All looked good.

The lads on the other boards still think that it is an image problem but I'm not sure. The problems started on sunday night, before the new keyroll. On thursday I got the card through to the bloke and still the same problem.

Another lad says that the box might be overheating but this can happen as the box is booted and you skip through the channels.

After a few days of bashing this about I think that it may be the card reader but then again I'm very green at this cable stuff.

Has anyone any ideas?

Is it as I fear a knackered box beyond repair.

fergalsworld
19-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Cheers to fez 786 for this
u need to use a image revision that supports signiture swapping

u see ntl ex cw and telpest have started to send fake key rolls out so when u put a old image on the line it sometimes will accept the fake key roll so ur channels will freeze .etc

a new rev image will only take the right keyroll and wont accept the fake 1

so i use a rev b04 for the rom11 cards

and a rev a82 or a36 for the rom10 cards

they work perfect with no freezing

never done fun cards but i think the base image is a rom 10 so make sure u use a up to date image

and it should stop ur freezing probs

if it still wont stop freezing go into eng menu and check ur signal strength .etc

hope it helps m8

stonedandhappy
19-08-2006, 05:17 PM
The image that I am using was named NTL.BN11. Its the latest release form the cryptcrew. Tried saving it as both a bn11 and bn10 image. same probs with both.

stonedandhappy
19-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I thought that I'd do a little comparison and too photos of every page on the engineers menu on the problem box.

Mostly everything looked good, just about everything matched except a few.

On page 6 of the eng menu the very first line is the channel frequency. I'm in the glasgow area and the boxes tune to 755.000. The problem box tunes to 731.000. That would be ok if I could goto page one of the menu and change it back to 755 but when I go there it says the frequency IS set to 755.000.

On page 9 - status monitoring. My box has messages about CM start which I take to be the cable modem but the prob box has messages saying CM ranging failure.

On the network addressing page - page 13 - My box has details in both the "Default Gateway" and Subnet Mask" fields. On the other box both boxes have messages stating they can't be found.

Don't know if any of this is relevant but atleast the frequency thing I found suspicious.

Also the SNR is sitting around 35 if thats a help.