PDA

View Full Version : Now TV with plex - confirmed

alanjg007
03-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I can now confirm that plex is installable on a Now tv box!

I bought a 12.50 entertainment package today and within 10 minutes had plex running.

Instructions taken from here (http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/guides-tutorials/media-guides/12841-installing-plex-nowtv-box-10-rebranded-roku-cheapest-plex-streamer-ever.html) added part about use rand pass which was not in original instructions

Step 1: Registering a free NowTV account.

To even get the NowTV box setup, you need to setup an account with Sky. (and enter card details :-( )

When you first boot it up, it will ask for your wireless network details then performs some software updates. Once these are completed you need to login with your newely created account before your device completes setup and boots up.

Now TV Box Stock Menu

Step 3: Enabling Developer Mode and Install Plex

First thing?s first, your need to download Plex to your PC. I?ve compiled the latest Plex for Roku from Github ready for use, which you can download here:

Download rarflix(plex streamer) (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Next, grab your Now TV remote and press the following buttons in order, relatively quickly. If you fail once, just repeat and try again:

Home x3, Up x2, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right

All going well, you will be presented with the below screen:

Now TV - Enable Developer Mode

Write down the I.P address which is shown, or take a picture (this is important!)

Next press ?OK? on the ?Enable installer? option presented and agree to the developer agreement that appears and select a password (put something simple you'll remember)
Once it?s reloaded and back on the home screen fire up your web browser on your PC and go to the IP address which was shown to you earlier. it'll ask you for user and pass this is rokudev (tells you on the screen lol) then the password you inputted that you'd remember. if all done you should then be taken to the

Roku Development Application Installer

Select ?Browse? and select the zip file you downloaded earlier. Select install and all going well you will be presented with the below:

Roku Development Installer Success

Now take a look at your TV and you should see the below:

Plex Installed on NowTV Box

Your all set, Plex is installed onto your NowTV box. Think of the bright side of this, Sky have subsized your Plex media habits by giving you a Roku box at a dirt cheap price!

Plex Installed on NowTV Box

YAY a media streamer, a rokubox and the ability to watch some sky channels.

Now i believe that more channels can be added like netflix but i'm still learning about this. If anyone has any info please reply to this text

bezo
03-08-2014, 11:32 PM
hi m8 to add more put in ya plex server plugin folder

also have a look here (https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/25523-unsupported-as-in-totally-unofficial-appstore/)

and u will be on ya way lol

bezo

alanjg007
03-08-2014, 11:37 PM
hi m8 to add more put in ya plex server plugin folder

also have a look here (https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/25523-unsupported-as-in-totally-unofficial-appstore/)

and u will be on ya way lol

bezo

thanks for the superb info m8.

bezo
03-08-2014, 11:45 PM
if ya get stuck give me a shout m8

bezo

alanjg007
03-08-2014, 11:57 PM
What Bezo above just pointed me to was apps for plex server.

If you would like these ( the whole unadulterated bundle) then download this (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. to be installed on mac or windows win7 or above)

this will download the apps into the correct location.

Then its a simple case of going to plex app 'channels' section on the now tv box and selecting the 'channel' you want to install

once downloaded and installed its ready in the 'channels' section of plex. Dont worry about the app graphics, takes a few minutes initially for them to download.

The Downside of this is that the Server side of plex has to be running, which means for most a PC/computer if your unlucky not to have a NAS that can run a plex server.

berley
04-08-2014, 02:16 AM
which means for most a PC/computer if your unlucky not to have a NAS that can run a plex server.

Can you clarify this a bit please ?

alanjg007
04-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Can you clarify this a bit please ?

with a bit of tweaking my NAS can run the plexmedia server.(you need the server to stream to the client) Other Nas devices like some synology, netgear and more, can run plex media server easily. This all means that the plex media client on the Now tv will detect plex server on your NAS and stream your saved content stored on it.

The alternative is to have a PC running Plex media server which means it would have to be on when you want to stream or watch any of the added channels.

Does this help?

berley
04-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks Alan, none of it made sense at stupid oclock in the morning when I first read it lol

Gazer
04-08-2014, 03:08 PM
@Alan can you get IPtv to work with Plex using the now tv box ?

alanjg007
04-08-2014, 05:15 PM
@Alan can you get IPtv to work with Plex using the now tv box ?

Not really sure what your asking?

ive got plex running on the Now tv box along with some other movie streaming apps as plex plugins. i will try do some pics later?

Pics

Gazer
05-08-2014, 02:54 PM
@alan have a look on here regarding IPTV links :http://iptv-tv.blogspot.co.uk/

Hopfully picking my Now tv box up this afternoon

ilovenzb
05-08-2014, 07:44 PM
will this work

Download ITV PLayer plugin from
https://github.com/ReallyFuzzy/ITV-Player.bundle

a) extract zip file to a directory e.g. c:\itv

b)go to itv directory, and rename directory ITV-Player.bundle-master to ITV-Player.bundle (remove -master)

c)copy this directory and subdirectories to plugins directory (for w7, W8) (copy and paste) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins

final directory should be as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins\ITV-Player.bundle\Contents plus more subdirectories below contents

5) Test you can addin and run ITV Player on PC first.

6) load up Plex on Nowtv box and ITV should be available as a channel.

alanjg007
05-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Ah right. Post number 5 in this thread (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. has all the plex addons like that m8

If i understand the now tv box, you can only install one app at a time via dev mode(plex) and all the other addons have to be added to the plex server.

alanjg007
05-08-2014, 08:05 PM
will this work

Download ITV PLayer plugin from
https://github.com/ReallyFuzzy/ITV-Player.bundle

a) extract zip file to a directory e.g. c:\itv

b)go to itv directory, and rename directory ITV-Player.bundle-master to ITV-Player.bundle (remove -master)

c)copy this directory and subdirectories to plugins directory (for w7, W8) (copy and paste) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins

final directory should be as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins\ITV-Player.bundle\Contents plus more subdirectories below contents

5) Test you can addin and run ITV Player on PC first.

6) load up Plex on Nowtv box and ITV should be available as a channel.

itv player is already installed :-)

happy days

ilovenzb
05-08-2014, 08:26 PM
r them boxs wireless m8 ?

alanjg007
05-08-2014, 08:37 PM
r them boxs wireless m8 ?

wireless only

ilovenzb
06-08-2014, 06:26 AM
what the free ch ya get do ya get all itv + ect, and all the bbc 1, + ect ?
any kids ch?

alanjg007
06-08-2014, 07:55 AM
what the free ch ya get do ya get all itv + ect, and all the bbc 1, + ect ?
any kids ch?

look at my first picture in post 5, it shows what ya get on the now tv box when it loads up (minus plex of course) then you get everything that you can find as a plex plugin too.

alanjg007
06-08-2014, 02:08 PM
I've been trying to get my hands on another one of these but most places are out of stock or vastly more expensive!

ilovenzb
06-08-2014, 05:53 PM
look at my first picture in post 5, it shows what ya get on the now tv box when it loads up (minus plex of course) then you get everything that you can find as a plex plugin too.

plex plugin too.

like what can you get ? like (tv. stuff moives live sports ect ) or do it need setup with the pc?

alan ?

billy149uk
06-08-2014, 06:07 PM
I've been trying to get my hands on another one of these but most places are out of stock or vastly more expensive!

I just bought a now tv box via there web site for ?9.99 free post.
Buy from here http://www.nowtv.com/box

alanjg007
06-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Yeah, i wanted another entertainment one as it give 4 months free. when you take into account one month is 4.99 i think it makes sense.

alanjg007
06-08-2014, 08:35 PM
plex plugin too.

like what can you get ? like (tv. stuff moives live sports ect ) or do it need setup with the pc?

alan ?

the only thing you can add via developer mode is 1 app, either plex(client app)or any other roku app you want. Now plex is what most people want as the you can setup plex server to have streaming channels via plugins. There are movie ones, probably sport, loads of 'five knuckle shufflers' lol. These have to be setup on what ever device you setup plex media server(pms) on.

The downside is that whatever PMS is installed on, needs to be switched on when you want to stream or you lose those apps til you turn it back on. Basically if the PMS is off the plex app on the now tv box is useless.

Once you have setup PMS then you can download and run the attached file in this post
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Which will download all the plugins(channels) ready for you choosing what to install. Via PMS web app or through the Now tv box

alanjg007
07-08-2014, 02:43 PM
I've now got plex media server(pms) running on my little ol' zyxel Nsa310 Nas. Its not an easy process but well worth my time and now my pc can be switched off and PMS taken off it. Putting the extra channels on it via plex plugins is a bit of a chore as I have to SSH /telnet into the unit and use ssh commands to move files!

Now its a nice little unit, cheap but works well enough for streaming Movies etc. Not very powerful, with an Arm type processor so its not able to trans-code but i usually download in mp4 mostly. Ive tried a mkv files and the Now TV box seams to play it which is a plus!

Has anyone else setup PMS on there NAS?

Gazer
13-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Has anyone else setup PMS on there NAS?

I'v not opened the now Tv box yet lol its still sat on the side

If you get 5 mins Alan have a look and see if it can be setup on a WD Mycloud NAS....Thanks

alanjg007
13-08-2014, 06:39 PM
I'v not opened the now Tv box yet lol its still sat on the side

If you get 5 mins Alan have a look and see if it can be setup on a WD Mycloud NAS....Thanks

from a quick check....... i'd say its not supported lol

billy149uk
14-08-2014, 12:12 AM
I got me the other day and have now got it up and running.Had a problem getting to show addons at first ,then discovered it was my firewall that was blocking it.

Magnu420
13-09-2014, 12:32 AM
does this still work ???
i got one of these last year got plex installed on it and plex media server installed on main pc
im thinking of gettin this running again once ive sorted main pc out

billy149uk
13-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Yes it still works,I've got 2 running.1 upstairs and 1 downstairs.

alanjg007
13-09-2014, 09:59 AM
does this still work ???
i got one of these last year got plex installed on it and plex media server installed on main pc
im thinking of gettin this running again once ive sorted main pc out

yep works perfectly m8 :-)